Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't upgrade to Windows 10

Options
  • 24-04-2016 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    after many months of being prompted by the white icon at the bottom right of my monitor, I decided to upgrade to Win10.
    This morning I have made a clone of my system disk so that I am able to go back to my Win7 should I not be happy with this last version of the o.s.
    I launched the upgrade, it said my PC is compatible, but after the download, and the requirements check, it says that the upgrade has failed for an unknown error.
    Any idea on how to get over this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use the media creation tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

ED E wrote: »
    Use the media creation tool.
    Hi, can you be more specific, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Wouldn't it be simpler to just Google 'windows 10 media creation tool'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Windows 10 upgrade is a nightmare it almost always leaves issues.
    Clean install or nothing

degsie wrote: »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just Google 'windows 10 media creation tool'?
    I did it, I only found pages that basically explain how to install Win10 "legally".
    It sounds to me like this Tool is something "not legal".
    As far as I have understood, this media tool is external to Microsoft, and it also needs to have an ISO image of the o.s downloaded.
    Why doesn't the installation work as Microsoft intended it?

• Advertisement

Windows 10 upgrade is a nightmare it almost always leaves issues.
    Clean install or nothing
    Thanks FelixJones.
    So in all these months everybody had the same issue? I think that if this is the case, MS would have found a fix to it, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

enough so some people use the usb installer instead.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Skatedude wrote: »
    enough so some people use the usb installer instead.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Is this a new installation altogether? It seems I have to reinstall all the software and apps afterwards, while the upgrade should leave all the stuff as it is.

OK, I used the Tool suggested, it all went on smoothly until the message that it's impossible to determine whether my PC supports Win10 appeared.
    Weird, the self test said that everything (hw and sw) was compatible.
    So I think I won't have Win10, but now I have two copies of my system disk :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OK, I used the Tool suggested, it all went on smoothly until the message that it's impossible to determine whether my PC supports Win10 appeared.
    You might need to uninstall your anti virus software (you can reinistall it after you upgrade to windows 10). I have seen this cause issues before :)

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    You might need to uninstall your anti virus software (you can reinistall it after you upgrade to windows 10). I have seen this cause issues before :)

Nick
    I have no anti virus apart from Microsoft Security Essential.

I have just remebered that I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware app, but it only runs on demand (free version), so it's not constantly working in background.
    Should I try to disable Microsoft Security Essential for a while?

Someone made me notice that I said
    "This morning I have made a clone of my system disk"
    well, I should have specified that the two SSDs haven't the same size.
    The source disk is 128 GB, the destination disk is 120 GB, both Sandisk Ultra Plus, but for some strange reason Sandisk does not make the 128 GB size anymore.
    I used Aomei Backupper for the cloning process and everything seemed perfect.
    Could the slightly smaller size have anything to do with that "unknown error" that makes the upgrade impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unlikely.

But if you're happy that your system is cloned properly (check this by booting up from the new disk), why don't you take out the newly cloned destination disk and do the upgrade on you original source disk? Nothing to lose there :)

unkel wrote: »
    Unlikely.

But if you're happy that your system is cloned properly (check this by booting up from the new disk), why don't you take out the newly cloned destination disk and do the upgrade on you original source disk? Nothing to lose there :)

Yes, I think that the cloning process has been seamless and perfect, I booted the PC and used it all day long from the new disk with no problem at all.
    As a matter of fact I've had the thought to use the source disk to upgrade to Win10, but something made me think twice :)
    I'll do more tests to be totally sure that the two disks are both perfectly working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Hi all,
    after many months of being prompted by the white icon at the bottom right of my monitor, I decided to upgrade to Win10.
    This morning I have made a clone of my system disk so that I am able to go back to my Win7 should I not be happy with this last version of the o.s.
    I launched the upgrade, it said my PC is compatible, but after the download, and the requirements check, it says that the upgrade has failed for an unknown error.
    Any idea on how to get over this?

Thank your stars that Windows 10 didn't install correctly. :p (it will bring nothing but pain not to mention sending all your information to Microsoft - what sites you visit, what videos you watch, pictures you view, etc..)

My opinions aside, are you sure that your pc is compatible with Windows 10? Just because the upgrade icon appears and says it is compatible does not mean it is. Check online for the minimum specifications.
    There have been numerous instances where the upgrade was downloaded and failed at install - all because the hardware was not capable of running the OS.

q2ice wrote: »
    (it will bring nothing but pain not to mention sending all your information to Microsoft - what sites you visit, what videos you watch, pictures you view, etc..)

Please provide some evidence of this, I'm genuinely interested.

My opinions aside, are you sure that your pc is compatible with Windows 10? Just because the upgrade icon appears and says it is compatible does not mean it is. Check online for the minimum specifications.
    There have been numerous instances where the upgrade was downloaded and failed at install - all because the hardware was not capable of running the OS.

Well, before the installation began, the wizard took a test on CPU, RAM, hardware and all the rest and everything was checked green, so I assumed that the installer knew what it was doing.

The MS website says:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoCRAM: 2 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit and 64-bit
    Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    Display: 800x600

I don't know what a WDDM driver could be and if I have it, but all rest matches.

Another website ( http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-will-your-pc-run-it/ ) adds:
    -A Microsoft account and Internet access
    I have an internet access, but I do not have a MS account.
    Does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

He won't be able to, because it's not true. Another case of someone confusing telemetry/metadata with personal information. Not to mention that all the "tracking" has been backported to both 7 and 8 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

maki wrote: »
    He won't be able to, because it's not true. Another case of someone confusing telemetry/metadata with personal information. Not to mention that all the "tracking" has been backported to both 7 and 8 anyway.

Windows 10 comes with a key-logger:
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/617168/Windows-10-Tracking-Keylogger-Not-Stopped

Windows 10 collects details about contacts, calendar details, text and touch input, location data and a whole lot more:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Windows 10 published usage data:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/04/windows-10-now-active-on-over-200-million-devices/

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links, although those articles are quite speculative. I was hoping that you could supply evidence from the likes of a renowned security expert that has been verified and published.

Advertisement