If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable advice

Options
  • 24-04-2016 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey, can somebody advise on these two turntables? I like the look of the Teac MCD800 but not sure about buying an 'all in one' type of hifi. I'm wondering about things like sound quality and whether the speakers are attached to the unit.

The other one that looks quite nice is the Flexson VinylPlay. I realise you would have to get speakers (and an amp?) so would there be any recommendations for the extras? Also, could I hook up my old CD unit to the speakers? 

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Achasanai wrote: »
    Hey, can somebody advise on these two turntables? I like the look of the Teac MCD800 but not sure about buying an 'all in one' type of hifi. I'm wondering about things like sound quality and whether the speakers are attached to the unit.

The other one that looks quite nice is the Flexson VinylPlay. I realise you would have to get speakers (and an amp?) so would there be any recommendations for the extras? Also, could I hook up my old CD unit to the speakers? 

Thanks.
    hI Achasanai,

many thanks for your post
    The Teac is a great system for what it does, as a stand alone system, but for overall quality, you are better to use separates to be honest

The Flexson would be a good started turntable, especially for those looking to record to PC/CD with the USB connection on it

To complete the system, add something like the Cambridge Audio AM10 amp - http://euro.richerie.aspdotnetstorefront.cefasoft.net/p-10998-topaz-am10.aspx at £169/€229 along with Cambridge SX50 speakers - http://euro.richerie.aspdotnetstorefront.cefasoft.net/p-200368-sx50.aspx at £129/€184 and you have a great sounding system for £497/€687

In my opinion, for not a lot extra, it would be worth looking at the Project Essential2 turntable - http://euro.richerie.aspdotnetstorefront.cefasoft.net/p-200220-essential-2-white.aspx at £219/€289, and maybe the SX60 speakers -http://euro.richerie.aspdotnetstorefront.cefasoft.net/p-200371-sx60.aspx?swapstore=1 at £149/€209

Have a look at these and let me know if you have any other queries, or if something else grabs your eye

Cheers
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Thanks Brian, I guess I should go for the separates. It might be more money but better quality.

I was just wondering with regards to the turntable you recommended, if I was to get that and the speakers, would I be able to put my CD unit through the speakers too? As in, create my own hifi system, so to speak? Also, the second set of speakers you mentioned, you didn't mention an amp. I presume I would also have to include an amp?

Sorry about all the questions, completely knew to buying separates like this.

Thanks Brian, I guess I should go for the separates. It might be more money but better quality.

I was just wondering with regards to the turntable you recommended, if I was to get that and the speakers, would I be able to put my CD unit through the speakers too? As in, create my own hifi system, so to speak? Also, the second set of speakers you mentioned, you didn't mention an amp. I presume I would also have to include an amp?

HI, yea the amp IO mentioned would give you 4 additional inputs for connecting sources like CD player/mp3 player/tuner etc

For the 2nd pair of speakers, you could use the same amplifier for these, they would be a better speaker with bigger drive units so would help improve the sound

Brian

HI, yea the amp IO mentioned would give you 4 additional inputs for connecting sources like CD player/mp3 player/tuner etc

For the 2nd pair of speakers, you could use the same amplifier for these, they would be a better speaker with bigger drive units so would help improve the sound

Brian
    Thanks so much, lots to think about!

Brian
    Thanks so much, lots to think about!
    No probs,

Anything else you need, just drop us a post

Brian

• Advertisement

Hi, I was wondering if I could follow up on this. I am thinking of going with the Project Essential II turntable and the more expensive speakers, but hesitating a little on the amp. At the moment, I'm working my (old) turntable through the 'tape' deck of my CD unit, would this suit as an 'amp'? I'm just a bit hesitant about spending so much money on an amp, which would be as much if not more than all the other units (and I'm also thinking of space). Of course, I don't want to spend all this money on a nice turntable and speakers and have the sound be a bit dodgy in whatever way. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, is there much difference between the project essential II and the Project Essential II USB?

Also, with regards to delivery from Richer Sounds, is there a charge for this?

Hi, I was wondering if I could follow up on this. I am thinking of going with the Project Essential II turntable and the more expensive speakers, but hesitating a little on the amp. At the moment, I'm working my (old) turntable through the 'tape' deck of my CD unit, would this suit as an 'amp'? I'm just a bit hesitant about spending so much money on an amp, which would be as much if not more than all the other units (and I'm also thinking of space). Of course, I don't want to spend all this money on a nice turntable and speakers and have the sound be a bit dodgy in whatever way. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, is there much difference between the project essential II and the Project Essential II USB?

Also, with regards to delivery from Richer Sounds, is there a charge for this?
    HI Achasnai,

Can you tell me what way you have it connected in to your existing system? Is this a stack system, or what inputs are you connecting into?

With regards to the Essential 2 - they are almost identical turntables, except the USB has an in-built phono stage and a USB connection on it.

The essential 2 would need an external phono stage

Cheers
    Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for responding.

I currently have a (fairly cheap) Aiwa PX-E860 turntable that goes through a Sony DHC-MD373 (an old CD/radio/minidisc hifi). The turntable goes in to the 'tape' in socket and you play the turntable by switching on the 'tape' mode (there is no actual cassette deck), and then out through a pair of (again, fairly old) speakers. I know pretty much nothing about all this (as you've probably guessed) but was wondering if I could route the turntable through the Sony hi-fi unit, or should I just go for the amp (I'm thinking of cost, but also space!) I'm guessing if I do absolutely need that amp, then I could just attach that CD unit to it in order to play CDs.

Hi Brian, thanks for responding.

I currently have a (fairly cheap) Aiwa PX-E860 turntable that goes through a Sony DHC-MD373 (an old CD/radio/minidisc hifi). The turntable goes in to the 'tape' in socket and you play the turntable by switching on the 'tape' mode (there is no actual cassette deck), and then out through a pair of (again, fairly old) speakers. I know pretty much nothing about all this (as you've probably guessed) but was wondering if I could route the turntable through the Sony hi-fi unit, or should I just go for the amp (I'm thinking of cost, but also space!) I'm guessing if I do absolutely need that amp, then I could just attach that CD unit to it in order to play CDs.
    Hi Achasanai,

In theory, any turntable with a phono stage built in would work for you that way. You would be better to upgrade to a higher spec amplifier but for now it would get you up and running

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Just adding to this ... I think you should go for the  http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/audio-technica/lp5/audi-tech-lp5-blk
    Excellent turntable and built like a tank.
    Get's great reviews online and not that much more $$$.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

Thamks MP - that Audio Technica LP5 is a really well built turntable but its significantly more expensive than the Essential, and if the OP was looking to spend that amount I'd have a long hard look at the classic Rega RP1 :)

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201787-lp5.aspx

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-10726-rp1-grey.aspx

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Guys,

Thamks MP - that Audio Technica LP5 is a really well built turntable but its significantly more expensive than the Essential, and if the OP was looking to spend that amount I'd have a long hard look at the classic Rega RP1 :)

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201787-lp5.aspx

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-10726-rp1-grey.aspx

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    But isn't the Flexton Vinyl play just a rebadged Rega RP1 with the Rega Pre-amp built in ?

Thanks again to the Richer Sounds guys (and Muppetkiller for the recommendations). I might go for a turntable and speakers for now, and then get the amp you recommended at a later date (I can check the sound - and my finances - in the meantime).

Given Muppetkiller's suggestion, and if price wasn't a huge concern, what would ye recommend? The Rega RP 1, the Audio Technica LP5, or the Essential 2? I really like the idea of being able to easily switch between speeds that only seems to be available with the Audio Technica one.

Thanks again to the Richer Sounds guys (and Muppetkiller for the recommendations). I might go for a turntable and speakers for now, and then get the amp you recommended at a later date (I can check the sound - and my finances - in the meantime).

Given Muppetkiller's suggestion, and if price wasn't a huge concern, what would ye recommend? The Rega RP 1, the Audio Technica LP5, or the Essential 2? I really like the idea of being able to easily switch between speeds that only seems to be available with the Audio Technica one.
    If it was me - I would deffo go for the RP1, just on the basis of audio quality - BUT ( and it's a BIG but) there are 2 issues:

1: Changing speeds on the Rega is a huge PITA and its really easy on the LP5
    2: If it was me, and Turntable was my main source - I would probably change the amp before changing the speakers - I know its not a definitive answer but the old rule of keeping the quality in the chain as long as possible does apply and generally we recommend Customers to start any upgrade from the source side of the chain - ie source 1st, interconnects 2nd, Amp 3rd.  speaker cables 4th, Speakers last.

So unless your speakers are really awful you will actually tend to improve your total system more by upgrading your amp and turntable at this stage.

Sorry to complicate life - but I'm sure we would all like to get your system singing straight away!

keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John! 

Definitely made it more complicated, but I really do want to get this right (hence all the questions!) so I appreciate the advice.

I don't have a huge amount of 7/10 inches, but there are a fair few 12 inches that play at various speeds, so it's a definite consideration.

So, I guess I will go with the amp that Brian mentioned (the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10) and then decide on either the Rega or the LP5 and return to the speakers in due course and follow up on the speakers at a later date. 

Thanks again!

Thanks John! 

Definitely made it more complicated, but I really do want to get this right (hence all the questions!) so I appreciate the advice.

I don't have a huge amount of 7/10 inches, but there are a fair few 12 inches that play at various speeds, so it's a definite consideration.

So, I guess I will go with the amp that Brian mentioned (the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10) and then decide on either the Rega or the LP5 and return to the speakers in due course and follow up on the speakers at a later date. 

Thanks again!
    Deffo the best idea IMO.

And whilst I do love the Rega - I think changing speeds on the RP1 would drive you mad!

With regard to the amp - you could also look at teh Yamaha AS501 - we have these in stock inTitanium at just £159 as a Boardie special ( they are reduced to £189 in Black) and they are a super amp as well!

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s501/?mode=model

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

Thanks again, John. 

Unfortunately, giving me other options, means I'm going to have to ask more questions. With regards to that amp you mentioned, how would you rate it compared to the one Brian mentioned earlier (the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10)? Ideally, I would like to connect my old CD player to whatever amp I decide to go with (along with the turntable, of course) as well as having the option of putting my iPod (and iPhone?) through it as well. I'm not sure looking at the specs whether the Yamaha can do that (but I think the Cambridge does?)

I promise, though, I'm very close to going for the LP5 and one of those amps.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks again, John. 

Unfortunately, giving me other options, means I'm going to have to ask more questions. With regards to that amp you mentioned, how would you rate it compared to the one Brian mentioned earlier (the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10)? Ideally, I would like to connect my old CD player to whatever amp I decide to go with (along with the turntable, of course) as well as having the option of putting my iPod (and iPhone?) through it as well. I'm not sure looking at the specs whether the Yamaha can do that (but I think the Cambridge does?)

I promise, though, I'm very close to going for the LP5 and one of those amps.
    Hi Achasanai.

The Yamaha is a far superior amp compared to the AM10 both in both sound quality and connections.

For connecting Ipods or any other portable device you would just go from the head phone jack on the device to the phono inputs on the rear of any stereo amplifier using a 3.5mm to 2 phono cable:
    Like this one priced at £9.99
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-10537-aud100-35mm-1m-phono.aspx

You could also add in a BTA10 which would allow to connect via bluetooth using any bluetooth enabled device. Priced at £49.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12026-bta10-bluetooth.aspx

When the AS501 was first released it retailed at £299.95 compared to the AM10 only ever being £179.95
    The AS501 has 5 audio inputs and can be used to Bi-Wire speakers or run two pairs. Where as the AM10 only has 4 inputs and no bi-wiring option.
    AS501 is rated at 85 watts per channel and the AM10 35 watts.

I hope this is of help.

Any questions let me know.

That's great, Kenny, thanks. Looks like I'm good to go with the Yamaha and the LP5. For purchasing, do I go through you here or just through the website? Have never bought from Richer Sounds before.

Also, just to say, I think a lot of companies using 'Talk to ...' could really improve by looking at how Richer Sounds interact with customers here. I know it's different when you're selling electrical equipment compared to a mobile phone service, but I think it needs to be said. As I mentioned, I have never used Richer Sounds before, but it will be my 'go to' place in future (the free delivery option helps, of course).

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

That's great, Kenny, thanks. Looks like I'm good to go with the Yamaha and the LP5. For purchasing, do I go through you here or just through the website? Have never bought from Richer Sounds before.

Also, just to say, I think a lot of companies using 'Talk to ...' could really improve by looking at how Richer Sounds interact with customers here. I know it's different when you're selling electrical equipment compared to a mobile phone service, but I think it needs to be said. As I mentioned, I have never used Richer Sounds before, but it will be my 'go to' place in future (the free delivery option helps, of course).
    Hey Achasanai.

Very good choice :D and thanks for the kind words. We do try to make dealing with us as enjoyable a process as shopping can be :) and always try to give boardies good pricing when we can.

If you drop me a contact number in a PM I can give you a call for the order as the AS501 is at a special price and there is no way to discount it via the website.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.