Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whose responsibility is the garden?

Options
  • 24-04-2016 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

If an EA/landlord doesn't look after a garden, is the onus on yourself to do it? I'm renting a house with a bit of a wild garden and have done a fair bit of work trying to control it, but any more work would require some tools (electric shears, ladder, lawnmower). Can't really afford to get these things myself and the shed that is there is becoming damaged by the ivy, so there is no place to store them. Just wondering what the consensus is on whether a landlord should supply these things? Any of the previous places that I've been in with gardens before have had the basics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It should be stated in your lease. If you're happy to do it yourself I'm sure the landlord would be delighted to pay for a few tools for you and something to keep them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Apparently, if the landlord leaves the tools (lawnmower etc) then it's up to you but if he doesn't provide anything then he has to maintain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

It should be stated in your lease.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have you discussed this with the landlord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Thanks for all the replies. It is pretty much what I was thinking (he would provide if I'm happy to do it). I can't find the lease, but will do some investigating and see if it's explicitly stated.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have you discussed this with the landlord?

That's part of the problem, to be honest. I've always had good luck with landlords in the past, but this house goes through an estate agent so we have no contact with the landlord. The estate agent goes to extraordinary lengths to drag his heels on any issue (as in fairly important things that require immediate attention: broken oven, plumbing problems, sorting out tenants with deposits when they leave) so I can only imagine how long he will take to get back to me on supply the house with basic tools. The sad thing is, I'm sure the landlord would appreciate any work that I'd be putting in (and as a previous poster said, would be happy to supply the tools) but I know the EA just won't care.

I will check the lease and see if it's stipulated. That might give him the impetus to get the ball rolling on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement