Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help figuring out carb cycling for fat loss!

• 24-04-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been eyeballing my food lately rather than tracking and my recent biosignature test showed that I increased my body fat by 1%. Not a lot at all but I've worked too hard to start slipping.

Up to a couple of months ago I'd been keeping a food diary and not actually tracking calories. I've gone from 26% bf down to 20% bf doing it this way and now I'm up near 22% again. I stayed in and around 8 stone the whole time.
    My workout routine had been 3 strength classes and 1 bootcamp each week. I saw increases in all my lifts apart from RDL's (weak ass grip...) and squats (picked up a quad strain).

I'm trying to work out a carb cycling routine. I understand that it's essentially calories in should be higher than calories out. That's fine.

My goal isn't to lose weight. It's to lose fat. This is why I'm asking should I go for 10% below by TDEE (which seems to vary depending on the calculator) and re-arrange my macros according to activity or should I change my calorie intake depending on activity?

A few stats:
    26 y/o female
    147cm (4ft10)
    50.5 kg (8 stone)
    22% bf

Current Activity
    Monday: Bootcamp which is a mix of strength and cardio
    Tuesday: Bootcamp or HIIT (may change to soccer training from next week)
    Wednesday: Rest (may become strength class from next week)
    Thursday: Strength
    Friday: Bootcamp or HIIT
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

My job is soccer coaching from Monday to Wednesday (3 hrs each day) so I'm fairly active when we're not rained off. I also do another hour coaching on Thursday and an hour and a half on Saturday.

I tend to use Saturday as my cheat meal (takeaway) but it has turned in to a bit of a cheat day. I'm almost thinking of moving the cheat meal to Friday night after a workout. At least my body would use those carbs in some form!

According to http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/, my TDEE is 1,679 calories. That's using lightly active as the activity.

Should I cycle low, medium and high?
    Should I go low carb on non workout days and keep the same medium carb for all of the workout days?
    Should I change the amount of calories I eat depending on activity?

What percentages should I use? Using 40/40/20 as the moderate carb and being -10% of my TDEE (1511 cals), 40 percent carbs is 151g. That seems like an awful lot!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I think I know what I need to do but I need to hear it from others. I think. :confused:

Mars Bar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Good blog from Sigma Nutrition in it here:

http://sigmanutrition.com/refeeds-macro-cycling-non-linear-dieting/

Hope that proves useful.

Just to add that the moderate carb intake of 2.6g/kg BW gives you a touch over 131g so 150 isn't particularly excessive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's very handy. I think doing the way he has it done on the chart with targeting the same calories and changing the macros is what I will do.

I'm going to start at 15% below my TDEE so that's 1,426 calories. That puts me at -1,000 calories per week. My BMR is around 1,200 and my TDEE is coming in at 1629 calories.

Does that sound like a decent platform to start on? I can change depending on my lifts, energy and hunger over the next few weeks. I've got my protein set at 130g per day. After that, I'm adjusting the carbs and fats according to low/med/high.

I've never done carb cycling - my diet is pretty standard and nothing changes bar quantities - so I'm certainly no expert but it appears to be a solid basis from which you can make changes as needed.

Now I've got to figure out what level of carbs I'm assigning to which days. Saturday and Sunday should be low carb from now on. I'm thinking high carb on Friday so that will make it easier to get through the weekend. 4 days of moderate should be fine if I'm playing soccer on Tuesday. If not, Wednesdays will be rest days and I'll do that as low carb.

I've never done carb cycling - my diet is pretty standard and nothing changes bar quantities - so I'm certainly no expert but it appears to be a solid basis from which you can make changes as needed.

Yeah, that's what I needed. Just writing it out helped! That chart really helped to be honest.

• Advertisement

Sigma is always my starting point if I'm looking into anything nutrition-related :)

Advertisement