Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Algarve, Portugal

Options
  • 24-04-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hey guys
    Thinking of travelling to the Algarve region in August for a week or so with a friend. Probably going to rent a car and try camp to save a bit of money. Only been surfing 5 months or so at this point so not looking for anything crazy. Just a bit of swell in some warm weather really! Anyone got any advice on board rental, campsites, beaches, etc?

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Would you consider a surf camp?

Alternatively, I've stayed in Lagos, and day tripped with the local surf shops.

You head off about 10 and back for 6. Plenty of night life in Lagos and there's a campsite also.

Otherwise you're driving around looking for swell when you may not know where to go or what to look for.

You can take a train from Faro to Lagos - 90 minutes. Get taxi from airport to Faro train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Word of warning, breaks on the west coast of the Algarve are extremely demanding and not really suitable for beginners

I'd stick with on of the surf schools in Lagos and let them worry about the most suitable breaks to take you to

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Would you consider a surf camp?

Alternatively, I've stayed in Lagos, and day tripped with the local surf shops.

You head off about 10 and back for 6. Plenty of night life in Lagos and there's a campsite also.

Otherwise you're driving around looking for swell when you may not know where to go or what to look for.

You can take a train from Faro to Lagos - 90 minutes. Get taxi from airport to Faro train station.

Had considered it yeh, but we don't want to tie ourselves down to surfing every day :) Wouldn't mind doing a bit of exploring too.
    rodento wrote: »
    Word of warning, breaks on the west coast of the Algarve are extremely demanding and not really suitable for beginners

I'd stick with on of the surf schools in Lagos and let them worry about the most suitable breaks to take you to

Yeh got in touch with one of the shops we're looking to rent boards off. They said they'd go through the forecast with us when we arrive and they'll fill us in with the inside scoop on where would be best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

It's August too, could be completely flat the whole time you're there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Just a suggestion - book with the schools on the days with surf and that leaves you otherwise free, some of the best beaches are well off road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Your'e going for week it's not a massive amount of time I'd play it by ear, if there is good swell forecast book a lesson and let the school look after were to go. But if you can book it early in the holiday, that way you will meet the other surf schools student who you may want to see more of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Your'e going for week it's not a massive amount of time I'd play it by ear, if there is good swell forecast book a lesson and let the school look after were to go. But if you can book it early in the holiday, that way you will meet the other surf schools student who you may want to see more of.....

Yeh I think that's what we might do. Play most of it by ear but if there's any day in particular that's looking decent we might go with them. Cheers!

Advertisement