Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 16.04

• 24-04-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

Ubuntu 16.04 is out with the release notes available here

Has anyone upgraded yet?

I've given it a quick go as a VM and a live USB and it seems to be working fine and looks good so I'll probably try a wipe and fresh install of my laptop later today.

As a side question, for the past couple of releases I've normally installed the default image and given unity a go but then after a few days / week swich back to gnome. This time I'm thinking of just going straight to gnome. If I go for Ubuntu-Gnome image is the only real difference that I'll save some disk space by not installing the unity stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Installed and working fine.

I'm the opposite to you. I normally use Gnome but tried it with this release and found a couple of niggly little issues (that admittedly may have been there in 15.04) so decided to just go with Unity. No issues spotted yet with Unity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I put Lubuntu 16.04 on my old secondary/spare desktop computer
    Ran into some install issues had to go into recovery mode and manually install stuff , got answers from google ,

Once it was setup it really fast and easy to configure.
    have not done much with it yet.

My primary machine is on linux mint not sure whether to stay on that and Upgrade to version 18(linux mint) in June or switch over to Ubuntu 16.04.

Properly not a huge difference between the two really.

I see Mint is "made in Ireland" or originated in Ireland, albeit by a Frenchman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ubuntu 16.04 with the MATE desktop is by far the best version of Ubuntu I've tried. I'm usually an Arch user but I have 16.04 MATE on my netbook and it runs lovely. Nice and stable and reliable, no hassle.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Ubuntu 16.04 with the MATE desktop is by far the best version of Ubuntu I've tried. I'm usually an Arch user but I have 16.04 MATE on my netbook and it runs lovely. Nice and stable and reliable, no hassle.

What's Arch like for reliablity and hassle? Is it stable?
    Was thinking about it managed to install it to a virtual box (my first)
    but have not had time to do anything or look at it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Keplar240B wrote: »

I find it to be grand. Get occasional updates that can break stuff but the stability is fairly impressive these days. Definitely worth checking out in a VM. It's great because it's so customisable. And the AUR is a fantastic resource for software.

If you want something a bit more out of the box but Arch based, try out Manjaro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Keplar240B wrote: »

Im no expert but have been using Arch for a few years now without any major issues. The wiki is awesome though the forums can be somewhat RTFM for a newbie.

For anyone interested in trying it on a spare bit of HDD real estate, I suggest reading and following , or copying and pasting the relevant parts of , either the Beginners Guide or the more concise install guide depending on your experience.

Even if it takes ages to get it finally sorted , it is a hell of a learning experience. As it is purely a CLI install, I recommend having a 2nd computer at the side for googling isues that crop up.

Thats what I did a couple of months back for a new install on a new computer. It had been about 2 years since my last install so I didnt remember how to get around the little issues that cropped up.

I love the fact that you can choose to to install a meta-package like kde-games , which means you can't later individually uninstall particular packages, or install them a a group , which means the individual packages can later be uninstalled. The pros and cons thereof are also in the wikis.

Well i installed arch using a combination of the Arch wiki guides and some you-tube tutorials.
    took two tries, first time had some problems with wi-fi and then when I finally got gnome desktop up
    I corrupted the grub and could not fix it, i just changed the TIMEOUT to be a little longer in the conf file same way i did in linux mint as a I have Multiple HDD with another OS.
    I just leave grub alone for now, good grub!

Had to start at the top , Second time I plugged into the network into Ethernet and flew thru it no issues. I think i did it in a hour.
    Put MATE on it and it looks just like linux mint MATE i had
    Everything working now except banshee won't play music and need to pick an ~ MS Office suite apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I must try an Arch or Slackware install myself, I need to delve deeper into Linux.

Advertisement