Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL Paper 1 Proofs

Options
  • 24-04-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey just wondering what are the proofs on paper one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

I'm not sure I'd call these all proofs exactly but certainly things I would advise learning off...either made reference to in syllabus or been asked in the past.

1. You need to know a 'Proof by Contradiction' - Prove that root 2 is not rational.
    2. The constructions of root 2 and root 3 (asked in 2011)
    3. Use proof by induction to derive the formula for the Sum of a Geometric Series (asked in 2012)
    4. Use proof by induction to prove De Moivre's theorem (there are also a couple of special Trig Identies that are proven using De Moivre)
    5. Differentiation by 1st Principles (Linear and Quadratic only) (asked in 2014)
    6. Need to be able to derive the formula for a mortgage repayment using geometric series.
    7. Derive the formula for the sum to infinity of geometric series using limits.

In theory though anything can be asked on either paper. For example definitions for discrete and continuous were asked in 2012 though most people would associate them with Statistics.

Sorry it's not a bit clearer but with Project Maths you can expect surprises and you could be asked to prove something you haven't learned if the question is scaffolded correctly...

Advertisement