Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watford to sack Flores

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Would he go back to Valencia perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sticking a 5er on them to win the League next year just to be safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ridiculous decision. Football really pisses me off sometimes. They deserve nothing and I hope they're relegated next season...would serve them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Probably no certainty that this is true. One of the worst decisions in recent year if true. He did remarkably well to the point that I never even thought there would be pressure on him. They certainly slacked off after becoming safe but that's not uncommon. Maybe this isn't a football results thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

They must have an upgrade lined up. Watford have done this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Who owns Watford now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Unfortunate to be sacked as most people would say he's done a great job with Watford. He'll have no trouble getting another job based on that record anyway. Difficult to see how Watford could do better next season though so like others have voiced I wonder is this in part due to behind the scene stuff that we don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Flores in the window.- Travis ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Massive overreaction by everyone here. The Pozzo family don't do things that would be seen as normal. They've kept Granada in La Liga for 4/5 years at this stage, so I'm gonna put my trust in them knowing what they're doing.

Also, we have been absolutely atrocious going forward all season. Literally Deeney and Ighalo performing miracles to score goals. Now that they have slowed down, we are utterly awful to watch, and our attacking play is non existent. Yes, in an ideal world, I'd like to see Flores have a chance to develop it himself, but if they don't think he has the ability to, then fair play to them for having the bottle to remove him. The Pozzos are very savvy when it comes to running football clubs, so I've no problem backing their decisions. Football is no place for sentiment these days. There's too much money at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Martinez rumoured to be gone too.

Cg0FmktXEAAjq7q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

How reliable are these tweets OP?

If its true it would be disappointing, its a lose lose situation at the moment at some clubs, you do well and you haven't done well enough, you do poorly and your gone regardless......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Super-Rush wrote: »
    They must have an upgrade lined up. Watford have done this before.

It would want to be Mourinho to be an upgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

SantryRed wrote: »
    Massive overreaction by everyone here. The Pozzo family don't do things that would be seen as normal. They've kept Granada in La Liga for 4/5 years at this stage, so I'm gonna put my trust in them knowing what they're doing.

Also, we have been absolutely atrocious going forward all season. Literally Deeney and Ighalo performing miracles to score goals. Now that they have slowed down, we are utterly awful to watch, and our attacking play is non existent. Yes, in an ideal world, I'd like to see Flores have a chance to develop it himself, but if they don't think he has the ability to, then fair play to them for having the bottle to remove him. The Pozzos are very savvy when it comes to running football clubs, so I've no problem backing their decisions. Football is no place for sentiment these days. There's too much money at stake.

Could the Pozzo's replace him with Guidolin?

They know him for Udinese and he did a good job there for a number of years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Watford probably need a change though, Flores was always a short term appointment. Their form is awful, if they don't make a decision early it could be too late for them 10 games in next season.

Good piece on the situation they are in from Sam Wallace today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/23/watford-would-be-justified-in-sacking-quique-sanchez-flores---it/
    Less than 12 months ago, Watford’s hierarchy were given short shrift for dispensing with Slavisa Jokanovic , the man who oversaw their promotion, when the two parties could not agree on his new contract. That turned out to be a bold move, but the right one, and there is no sentimentality at the club preventing them from changing managers again.

Whether one approves of Watford’s model or not, it needs regular shocks to the system to prevent stalling. There is no core of players upon whom the club can fall back as, for instance, Chelsea did so many times when managers were sacked. Watford are trying to make the mercenary approach work for them and that means they have to be as ruthless as the players, and managers, who see Vicarage Road as stepping stone to somewhere better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

NukaCola wrote: »
    How reliable are these tweets OP?

If its true it would be disappointing, its a lose lose situation at the moment at some clubs, you do well and you haven't done well enough, you do poorly and your gone regardless......

This was hinted at a couple of weeks ago that he would be a gonner regardless of how Watford finished the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's the way they do things, Flores won't be shocked and will get another job, esp as he wears a scarf so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

not sure if this rumour is 100% - if it is , it would be similar to leicester sacking Ranieri - and Watford would deserve going back to where they belong with there bunch of foreign loanees - Flores has performed a miracle creating a team with a bunch of other teams leftovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Flores has done a great job with Watford.. Madness if true really. Can see to a point the Martinez thing.. very unpopular with Everton fans and coming across as a total PR spoofer now.. If it did transpire Everton could do a lot worse than Flores... as for Watford... actually sacking Flores would be madness what do they expect to be knocking on the door of 4th ? come on.. baby steps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

People might think it's madness but the same sentiment was here from a lot of people last year when Leicester sacked Pearson.

For the record I think him maintaining them in the league and getting to the semis of a cup more than warrants another season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Linked with Valencia for a while and even the Spanish job after the euros..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

duffman13 wrote: »
    People might think it's madness but the same sentiment was here from a lot of people last year when Leicester sacked Pearson.

For the record I think him maintaining them in the league and getting to the semis of a cup more than warrants another season.

I think the Pearson situation was different though - he was sacked for non-football reasons (his son throwing racist jibes at people from the owner's homeland probably didn't help)

Unless there is something behind the scenes with Flores we don't know about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

duffman13 wrote: »

And when Southampton ditched Adkins for Pochettino!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The owners clearly don't fancy him for bringing the club forward. Why keep a manager they do not fancy? Do you wait until it goes wrong until you sack him or do you do it before it goes wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

kfallon wrote: »
    And when Southampton ditched Adkins for Pochettino!

Or when Wolves sacked Mick McCarthy for Terry Connor

;-)

rightyabe wrote: »
    Linked with Valencia for a while and even the Spanish job after the euros..

Seems to me they might want to hold fire and see if Pako Ayestaran keeps the current form going to the end of the season.

Could the Pozzo's replace him with Guidolin?

They know him for Udinese and he did a good job there for a number of years.

Believe it or not, Bielsa is the leading name being rumoured at the minute. There's no smoke without fire so I'd imagine the rumours about Flores time being up are true.

The owners clearly don't fancy him for bringing the club forward. Why keep a manager they do not fancy? Do you wait until it goes wrong until you sack him or do you do it before it goes wrong?

Seriously how forward do the owners want to take Watford ??

This is not Manchester United , they spend relatively virtually no money and are a small provincial team , mid table Championship is really where they should be , what Flores achieved was amazing .. anyway not my problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You do wonder at times.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Believe it or not, Bielsa is the leading name being rumoured at the minute. There's no smoke without fire so I'd imagine the rumours about Flores time being up are true.
    If they are bringing in Bielsa then I think they don't have a clue. He is a very talented manager but he always falls out with people no matter where he goes.

Maybe they'll get Rafa in

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭King_of_Kingz

Bielsa wouldn't be a stretch either, dying to manage in the Premier League and fits the kind of bill the Pozzo family like in a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Bielsa is a nut job, but it could work..

thebaz wrote: »
    Seriously how forward do the owners want to take Watford ??

This is not Manchester United , they spend relatively virtually no money and are a small provincial team , mid table Championship is really where they should be , what Flores achieved was amazing .. anyway not my problem

What is the difference between Watford and Norwich, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom, Palace etc...

You seem to have a weird hatred of the club.

The owners have done an amazing job since coming in. We now have a proper football ground and a great youth structure in place. Watford could easily cement themselves as a consistent PL team, along the likes of WBA.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If they are bringing in Bielsa then I think they don't have a clue. He is a very talented manager but he always falls out with people no matter where he goes.

Sure we can just sack him after 5 games if that's the case :pac:

• Advertisement

What is the difference between Watford and Norwich, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom, Palace etc...

You seem to have a weird hatred of the club.

The owners have done an amazing job since coming in. We now have a proper football ground and a great youth structure in place. Watford could easily cement themselves as a consistent PL team, along the likes of WBA.

no hatred for the club, though don't agree with all the loanees - think sacking Flores is ridiculous if true. Perspective

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Bielsa is linked with every job going, wouldn't read anything into that.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Bielsa is a proper nutter, would love to see him in the Premier League.

I'll never forget seeing footage of the Marseille press officer shaking her head as Bielsa went on a loon of a rant against the club's president after about 4/5 games into the season of his first year in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

All I'll say on this is remember Southampton on this. Uproar when they sacked Adkins and replaced him with Poch which was a genius stroke

I genuinely can't emphasise how poor we've been since the turn of the year too. It has been nothing short of terrible. I think the players may be burnt out from the way we play which hasn't helped, but I don't think our offensive play has ever been good enough this year.

At the end of the day, the Pozzos have already shown to be ruthless in their job. They removed Billy McKinlay after he replaced Oscar Garcia, and had gotten 4 points in his first 2 games, because they felt they made a mistake. They brought in Jokanovic who got us promoted and they moved onto Flores, who has brought us to a mid table position. If they don't feel that he can maintain that, how can you not trust them as a Watford fan? They're yet to make a wrong move, regardless if it's against the normal football standards and ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bielsa is a nut job, but it could work..

Bielsa will last one season before he burns the team out with his methods.

Happens at every club team he manages.

He'll be brilliant for a season though and it will be madcap stuff to watch :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

from BBC
    The last thing a man whose job is on the line needs is a home defeat by Aston Villa. ASTON VILLA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Confirmed he is leaving at the end of the season

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/731042084149399552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Di Matteo was mentioned recently, couldnt see that ending well for either party if they went down that route.

Very grateful for the season he gave us this year and being the first Watford team to stay in the PL. However, the performances and results have been nothing short of terrible in 2016 and I think it's the right move for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Think this is mental.
    He has done very well.
    Watford for the drop next season

All I'll say on this is remember Southampton on this. Uproar when they sacked Adkins and replaced him with Poch which was a genius stroke

Not every appointment works out like that though, its not a justification to sack an over performing manager......

It only makes sense if an upgrade comes in, its poor form no matter what way you look at it anyway....looking at that squad and who finished above them and its hard to see what a new manager will do to improve on this seasons league position.....be interesting to see what happens next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Seems harsh but it's understandable.

It's been a very poor 2016.... Watford cannot afford to let it seep into next season & have an upward fight against relegation.

Very grateful for the season he gave us this year and being the first Watford team to stay in the PL. However, the performances and results have been nothing short of terrible in 2016 and I think it's the right move for all.

Form in the league has been poor but the FA Cup run cant be called terrible.......

NukaCola wrote: »
    Form in the league has been poor but the FA Cup run cant be called terrible.......

The FA Cup run wasn't that great at all, bar Arsenal:

1-0 Newcastle (3rd Round): Poor performance, win due to Wijnaldum trying to pass the ball back to Elliot and not seeing Deeney, who rounded Elliot and finished with ease.

1-0 Forest (4th Round): Poor performance, scuffed clearance from a cross by a Forest defender leave Ighalo with a 10 yard finish that any PL striker should take.

1-0 Leeds (5th Round): Poor performance, probably the worst own goal of the season as a Leeds defender tried to hook it clear and put it in his own goal.

2-1 Arsenal (6th Round): Best performance of the season probably. Up there with the Liverpool home game. But it was an anomaly in the second half of the season.

1-2 Palace (Semi Final): Terrible performance against an out of form Palace side too. We never looked like getting back into it, and when we did, we gave it up again 5 minutes later.

Honestly, there's too much sentimentality in English football. We were living off Deeney and Ighalo's partnership in the first half of the season, with absolutely no attacking impetus or style to our game. The second half of the season makes me think that the start of next season would start the exact same. Being in the PL is worth £100m a year, there's no place for even 10/15 games wrong. All you have to do is look at Villa giving Sherwood the job or Sunderland with Di Canio. The board almost felt they had to, and Villa ended up relegated and Sunderland survived last as per usual!

I really do think it's the best decision for all and no doubt he'll get a wonderful send off on Sunday for the fantastic season we have. But football is a business at the end of the day and I've seen nothing since January that does not suggest we would be in the relegation zone come next May.

• Advertisement
Advertisement