Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watford to sack Flores

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hard to understand what Watford do be at,surely the goal this season was to stay in the PL

Goal achieved = Sacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll be honest, initially thought this crazy but on closer inspection it's an understandable and forward thinking move. They are currently experiencing relegation form so a change makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This is ridiculous! Spoiled by their performances in the 1st half of the season. Did enough to finish around midtable, 1st Watford team to stay in the league after promotion and this is the thanks that he gets. Sometimes you just have to laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Personally, I think it's a bit harsh - he's done well to keep them in the league.

But I wouldn't call it crazy or ridiculous. You can easily see the reason the owners have made the decision and they may yet be proven right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

SantryRed wrote: »
    The FA Cup run wasn't that great at all, bar Arsenal:

1-0 Newcastle (3rd Round): Poor performance, win due to Wijnaldum trying to pass the ball back to Elliot and not seeing Deeney, who rounded Elliot and finished with ease.

1-0 Forest (4th Round): Poor performance, scuffed clearance from a cross by a Forest defender leave Ighalo with a 10 yard finish that any PL striker should take.

1-0 Leeds (5th Round): Poor performance, probably the worst own goal of the season as a Leeds defender tried to hook it clear and put it in his own goal.

2-1 Arsenal (6th Round): Best performance of the season probably. Up there with the Liverpool home game. But it was an anomaly in the second half of the season.

1-2 Palace (Semi Final): Terrible performance against an out of form Palace side too. We never looked like getting back into it, and when we did, we gave it up again 5 minutes later.

Honestly, there's too much sentimentality in English football. We were living off Deeney and Ighalo's partnership in the first half of the season, with absolutely no attacking impetus or style to our game. The second half of the season makes me think that the start of next season would start the exact same. Being in the PL is worth £100m a year, there's no place for even 10/15 games wrong. All you have to do is look at Villa giving Sherwood the job or Sunderland with Di Canio. The board almost felt they had to, and Villa ended up relegated and Sunderland survived last as per usual!

I really do think it's the best decision for all and no doubt he'll get a wonderful send off on Sunday for the fantastic season we have. But football is a business at the end of the day and I've seen nothing since January that does not suggest we would be in the relegation zone come next May.

What did you expect exactly? If this is the opinion the majority of Watford fans they'll be very hard to please. The way your complaining you'd swear Watford had a great squad capable of fantastic football........your complaining about a FA cup run saying every performance bar one is "poor/terrible", its almost beyond belief and smacks of a spoilt brat attitude.

Over performance first half of the season has clouded a lot of opinions here. This squad is poor bar 2/3 players.

Watford have had some success with their model so best of luck to them but I wouldn't be surprised to see them going backwards next season (hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are in desperate form for the last 5 months, better to upgrade on him now than wait for 10 games in next season and find themselves in a relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Still not sure it's the right way to go. People are mentioning the end of season form as if next season starts next week or something. I'm sure there would have been quite a few changes again at Watford during the summer and I believe a manager should have the chance to put right any weaknesses that is there having mostly been successful during the period. I think for the amount of change that was there last summer he did very well to make a solid team and have all that good early season form that ended up keeping them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So that's Watford winning the league next season so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ex-Sampdoria, Napoli and Inter manager Walter Mazzarri looks set to be taking the job. Another good coup for a club our size. 3-5-2 could be on it's way back too :D Been a staple of Watford bar last year since the Pozzo family took over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Espanyol have a new manager

Advertisement