Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the Crabs?

Options
  • 24-04-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a strange question but does anyone know if theres been a collapse in crab populations? I do a lot of coast walking in Clare, Galway and Wicklow and just dont see them anymore, dead or alive. Maybe its rose tinted nostalgia but the rock pools everywhere seem a bit dead to me compared to when we were kids aswell.

Likewise we catch a lot of mackerel in places like Blackhead in Clare and other spots and clean them in the water afterwards and I remember as kids by the time you'd finished cleaning there would be crabs swarming the heads and guts, now theres nothing, when I was growing up it seemed any clear patch of water around a pier or natural shore you'd always see them, from little hermits to bigger specimens the size of your hand, cant actually remeber the last time I saw one now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

They still there but maybe not in huge numbers, majority of trawler men focus on shell fish to make a living now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Knock a limpet off a rock with a stone, drop in a rock pool and watch the feckers come running! I have great memories of crab lines and limpets fishing in rock pools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Knock a limpet off a rock with a stone, drop in a rock pool and watch the feckers come running! I have great memories of crab lines and limpets fishing in rock pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 derekc1010

was catching loads of wee ones 2 weeks ago in newcastle beach,they kept stripping the bait on every cast.

Advertisement