Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a mobile home

Options
  • 24-04-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

So I have to move not having much look finding somewhere to rent so I'm thinking mobile home could be an option. I can get a pretty ok size one for a steal.
    I need high speed broadband for my work and landline is that possible in one?
    I figure it would be OK for summer anyway. And it's just for me and the little lady. Am I being realistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if its not moving you need planning permission to put it on a site for more than 9 months (somebody may need to confirm that length of time) , I have no idea how easy / hard that permission is to get.

as for running broadband and services to it, thats no issue really.

You can get cheap mobile homes, but watch out for ones that are only meant for summer. A winterised one with thicker insulation is what you really want, you'd pay a little more , but they can still be got in decent condition for under 5 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

if its not moving you need planning permission to put it on a site for more than 9 months (somebody may need to confirm that length of time) , I have no idea how easy / hard that permission is to get.

as for running broadband and services to it, thats no issue really.

You can get cheap mobile homes, but watch out for ones that are only meant for summer. A winterised one with thicker insulation is what you really want, you'd pay a little more , but they can still be got in decent condition for under 5 grand.

Insulated, double glazed, and with central heating if you will be living in it over the winter. You could always retro-fit insulation and heating if you need to.

My family had a mobile for 15 years on a site in Wexford which was open all year round. So I know what I'm talking about when it comes to using them in the winter!:)

pablo128 wrote: »
    Insulated, double glazed, and with central heating if you will be living in it over the winter. You could always retro-fit insulation and heating if you need to.

My family had a mobile for 15 years on a site in Wexford which was open all year round. So I know what I'm talking about when it comes to using them in the winter!:)

+1 , op this is the best advice, although if you don't have one already id be more inclined to just buy one thats insulated and double glazed rather than start a massive DIY project.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Cheers for replying! I'd be hoping it wouldn't be for that long. I don't know how the kid would be telling her school friends we live in a mobile home but could cover it for a few months. would have to buy it insulated, I'm not the best when it comes to diy.
    I hadn't thought about central heating tbh how would that work? Electric heating?

RubyGlee wrote: »
    Cheers for replying! I'd be hoping it wouldn't be for that long. I don't know how the kid would be telling her school friends we live in a mobile home but could cover it for a few months. would have to buy it insulated, I'm not the best when it comes to diy.
    I hadn't thought about central heating tbh how would that work? Electric heating?

its usually a gas boiler that uses bottled gas , heats the water too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir will fit a landline to a mobile home, its not uncommon down the "sunny south east" way.

Not sure how Virgin would handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Living in a mobile home is not uncommon in America at all. No a prefabricated home, but an actually mobile home. They are pretty common in the deep south ( although their incomes are lower and it tends to be warmer, so that could be some of it). But there is trailer parts in New Jersey just beside Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I know a few people that moved into a mobile home, But it was a nice mobile in a beach side community that was more like a summer home with benefits.

I guess it depends where, as you can have exactly the same mobile home in a nice community or the same home in a halting site that makes all the difference.
    Location is key.
    40 foot mobile in britas bay with sand and decking vs 40 ft in the back end of a converted carpark with wild dogs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Living in a mobile home is a pretty miserable experience during the winter. Been there, done that. They hold heat for about an hour or two then they are stone cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

pablo128 wrote: »

Very good advice. I think they loose a huge amount of heat through the floor, especially if there is a lot of air circulation under the floor. The floor,on older ones at least, doesn't tend to be insulated at all and is often overlooked when people retrofit insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you thought where you'll be putting it? Most sites down't allow year round stays to keep out "certain" people, and some estates have rules against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know a man that lived in a mobile home for a few years after getting married in the 80's, he said while he was living in it people used to look down their noses at him. Hopefully people aren't that silly nowadays.

Well it appears in my haste I had overlooked the most important thing. Where to put it. Friends gardens are a no, family don't live in areas with speeds I need for work.
    Was thinking purchase small bit of land I could eventually put my log cabin on, small bits of land are called sites. Sites in areas I would need are not cheap, I don't think a single applicant on 30 k is goin to get a mortgage and defiantly wouldn't have that organised I the 3 weeks I have to move.
    If anyone had any other suggestions I would be grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sounds like it's not a runner at all so. If you work from home surely that makes you pretty mobile and can move to another part of the country to find accommodation?

I spend a lot of time dreaming about a complete relocation I would love to leave this city but I don't drive and rely on family and friends for childcare.
    My daughter is still not old enough to be left to her own devices and even though I might work from home its still work and requires my complete attention. Hopefully in the next year or two it might be possible

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know a man that lived in a mobile home for a few years after getting married in the 80's, he said while he was living in it people used to look down their noses at him. Hopefully people aren't that silly nowadays.
    You live in a mobile home, you'll get treated like the people that live in mobile homes...

None of which is helping the op. Constructive posts please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning is required and most likely be refused to live in a mobile home on a site.

Would you consider living on a barge instead? Can cost the same, but would often be a lot better insulated.

=-=

Other threads on the subject;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054897717
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054898365

From the above threads, it seems that you get what you pay. Also note that although some will transport it, you may need to organise the transportation yourself.

Any threads that I've read, they've all already had their sites, and some were living in the mobile home whilst building a house.

It seems you'll need a certain amount of acres. You'll also need a septic tank, and some providers may need to pay for the connection yourself, from the nearest public road.

Have you thought about what county that you'd hope to buy land in?

Cheers everyone well it looks like this may not be a viable option then, it was just a idea anyway. The search continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ignore the planning permission thing, its technically required but never enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Thargor wrote:
    Ignore the planning permission thing, its technically required but never enforced.

Highly enforced and never a blind eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im near Dublin now and I can see a sea of mobile homes in back gardens and down laneways out the back of me, as long as its in any way discrete there wont be any problem, obviously if you shove it in peoples faces something will be said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thargor wrote: »
    Thargor wrote: »
    Im near Dublin now and I can see a sea of mobile homes in back gardens and down laneways out the back of me, as long as its in any way discrete there wont be any problem, obviously if you shove it in peoples faces something will be said.

Depends on your interpretation of never enforced. I see new cases everyday, some for log cabins in rear gardens too.

The LA do not go out looking for these issues, but as soon as one person makes a complaint about it, then they legally have to follow it up and enforce the rules.

Whatever about a mobile out a back, but a mobile placed onto a site, I guarantee someone will lodge a complaint.

The law is the law. Suggestions of illegal activities are not welcome on this forum

Mod

Advertisement