Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abolish 2 tier car tax system - petition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Complete waste of time - who do they think is going to pay any heed to an online petition about tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH I'm put off petitions and such as soon as they start the hyperbole. Offensive? How. Is **** in the title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

lots of countries have car tax, lots and lots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nothing changes the world like an online petition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sub 8 year old car FTW
    Chape tax for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see this petition is still going after all these years.
    It was first posted in Motors in 2013...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Given that 08 cars on the co2 system can be purchased for small money, I don't think the argument in general holds water now.
    I do believe that there should be a change made to make big older cars viable instead of dumping them.
    Nothing green about dumping perfectly good cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm on the fence about it. My car is an 08, but taxed on the CC system. People's perceptions about the value of lower tax per annum meant that my car lost a load of value before I bought it, so I feel I got a good deal.

Since I own it now, I obviously would like the lower tax.

Had I bought it new in 08 though, I would be seriously pissed off at the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If i was to say something like "typically, a pre 08 car is 2litre" , that would be a bit of a silly statement. Which is why picking a cost for one engine size and using it for comparisin because it sounds good is stupid. Id imagine the "typical" pre 08 car was somewhere in the 14.-1.8 range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will only increase the price of the pre 2008 stuff which at the moment I am all over ;) .Perhaps a €900 max on the larger engines when they hit 10 years old like the max on the trucks would be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

No, we should increase the tax and spend it on public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I do think this should happen, well I would be for, nct on a yearly basis, including for cars 1 year old.

Also throw one hundred euro minimum onto the lower rates of motor tax on the emission system, certainly everything up to an including the E390 rate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I do think this should happen, well I would be for, nct on a yearly basis, including for cars 1 year old.

Also throw one hundred euro minimum onto the lower rates of motor tax on the emission system, certainly everything up to an including the E390 rate...

Ehhh no.
    So I buy a brand new car and after 1 year I should have it NCT'd? Nonsense.
    And sure yeah, feck it 100e no bother there just lobbed onto the tax.
    Why stop there? Maybe they should increase the tax they place on the fuel and increase insurance levies for the ****s and giggles.

Look at the traffic every morning. Majority of 5 seater cars have only one person in them.

Madness.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Look at the traffic every morning. Majority of 5 seater cars have only one person in them.

Madness.

What has that got to do with motor tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's a pain in the bollocks when you're going to tax a pre 08 car, but it's great when you're going to buy one. Some great deals in older big engined cars, petrol especially because people don't want to pay the tax. Strangely though they'll pay 4 or 5 times more to buy a slightly newer car to save a bit on the tax which is madness but suits me to the ground.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't see the issue really.

Cars are expensive to buy and run. Pre 08 cars are cheaper and have higher annual road tax.

You can go for a lower tax 08 or later vehicle if you want, but it'll still cost you.

Or buy new and cough up thousands in VAT and VRT.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I don't see the issue really.

Cars are expensive to buy and run. Pre 08 cars are cheaper and have higher annual road tax.

You can go for a lower tax 08 or later vehicle if you want, but it'll still cost you.

Or buy new and cough up thousands in VAT and VRT.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
    exactly. We all know what the motor tax is before buying. Older luxury large engines car are as good as being given away... The emissions system isn't far from a decade old at this stage!!!

bear1 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with motor tax?

Demonstrates how inefficiently cars are used. Why higher motor taxes diverted to public transport is the logical solution.

Do I really have to spell this out for you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Demonstrates how inefficiently cars are used. Why higher motor taxes diverted to public transport is the logical solution.

How do you know they're not after doing a school run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I totally agree with your approach. Clear the roads of the slow drivers, those who don't understand lane discipline and general f***wits and put them on public transport! Leave the roads free for proper drivers... Or preferably just me. The rest of you can get the bus. :)

I think you need to spell it out for yourself.
    Your post has nothing to do with tax rates.
    If the rates were lower you'd still these things.
    In your mind if I own a 5 seater car but its just me driving it then I'm not utilising the car to its full potential? Should people go and look for 4 people to fill it up?

How do you know they're not after doing a school run?

Then let them pay their motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ok, Motor tax is raised, and the extra tax comes into the big pot that is used to pay down the debt.
    Do you really see any politician spending it on Public transport?
    I can't.

Then let them pay their motor tax.

What would be your proposal btw for the public transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Keep doing what they are currently doing, increasing the fares and decreasing the service. Quality stuff really :pac:

For years I've given out about Public Transport out West but I've started taking the bus to work 2/3 days a week. It's a fiver for about ten miles/minutes but I can't get it home again so I need a lift.

Not bad actually for where we are.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

biko wrote: »
    I see this petition is still going after all these years.
    It was first posted in Motors in 2013...

Took them over 3 years to get 10k signatures and many of the comments on it aren't even from people in Ireland.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

Not sure if this has been posted already but putting it out there if it hasn't.

https://www.change.org/p/unfair-car-tax-law

Don't know how much difference these online petitions make but worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gb153 wrote: »

https://www.change.org/p/not_the_renua_shower_again

again ? all the way from 2013 ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056985545

miss the post above yours ?
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Took them over 3 years to get 10k signatures and many of the comments on it aren't even from people in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

https://www.change.org/p/not_again

Worthless, i just signed that with Boatymcboatface in the Antarctic

aWuNxVQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

gctest50 wrote: »
    again ? all the way from 2013 ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056985545

miss the post above yours ?

I actually started a new thread. Maybe a mod combined it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I picked up a coupe for travelling to work and have a jeep for the weekends for the kids etc.
    My missus is ok with me flogging both and buying a newer car as she thinks that will be cheaper than having 2 cars :)
    Since both of my cars are 07 they're worth about 15k in total and I'm thinking of getting a 2012 A6/520D estate which will obviously be cheaper than my 2 cars..I'm wondering if she thinks I'll get the car for free or something :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Where is this public transport you talk of? Is it just Dublin you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Autosport wrote: »
    Where is this public transport you talk of? Is it just Dublin you're talking about?

Public transport can't work outside the few cities we have due to out of control ribbon development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sorry should have quoted this in my last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I actually started a new thread. Maybe a mod combined it?
    I did yeah, yours is just one of many threads on this petition since 3/4 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

biko wrote:
    I did yeah, yours is just one of many threads on this petition since 3/4 years or so.

I just read your post as no,I didn't .But then I'm from cork so....

Has the overall motor tax take gone down much since pre 08 ? Cos most people are driving low co2, 1.6 diesels to get the low tax , i'm surprised we havent seen a major rise in tax on co2 in the last few years ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I don't see the issue really.Cars are expensive to buy and run. Pre 08 cars are cheaper and have higher annual road tax.You can go for a lower tax 08 or later vehicle if you want, but it'll still cost you.Or buy new and cough up thousands in VAT and VRT.You pays your money and takes your choice.

But that's just saying whatever system the Government gives us we should just cough up and be happy with it no matter how extortionate?

That's mad Ted

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jesus. wrote: »
    But that's just saying whatever system the Government gives us we should just cough up and be happy with it no matter how extortionate?

That's mad Ted

What's the alternative? Nobody likes paying tax. So either pay it in high road tax, or pay it in high VAT/VRT.

Either way it's still high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nothing changes the world like an online petition!
    Online petitions me hole. Write up a good solid TwatBook profile and get people to share it if you want anything done. That's what cured cancer and sorted out that fecker in the white van who was snatching kids all over the place.

Also, whoever worded the petition thinks they're paying road tax.

:D

Advertisement