Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour won't reduce height of hedge to the front of our houses

Options
  • 24-04-2016 10:04pm

Hi All
    I dont think there is much I can do about this, but just checking in case.
    The neighbor next door has a very high thick and straggly group of hedges/trees along the boundary at the front ( her side) They are probably about 15 feet high now. They block a bit of light ( I appreciate no right to light in Irish law) but they also shed all over our cars. No idea what kind of trees/hedges they are but they produce loads of little seed things which are sticky and hard to clean off our cars.

Now, she has it there as she is just paranoid about privacy. She is very hostile and has fallen out with everyone in the cul de sac over different things. Some poor lads doing roadworks on the road last week were lacerated by her demanding they wash her gate posts after they were done. A retired neighbor told me this overt the weekend. So in short, a very unpleasant person and not someone who would compromise.

Am I stuck with this hedge (and her) until she pops her clogs and some decent human being moves in? All I want is it cut down a bit. is there any legal height of a hedge/trees on the boundary at the front of the house? And if so is it the council I need to approach about enforcing it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Is there any netting you can put up against it on your side to stop it falling on your car?

I assume we would have to fasten the netting to some supports each end. It would look crap on the front driveway I would think....but it is a suggestion and thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you are allowed to cut anything that enters over your property line.
    can you spray anything that comes over it. if you can im sure there are weed killers that will kill anything that overhangs your boundry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well if you have fallen out with her, what would happen if you decided to cut it yourself? Could she do anything else other than moan about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just park your car somewhere else?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies.
    Just to be clear, we trim the growth right back to the boundary line.
    However, as the hedges and trees are so tall and straggly, they sway in the wind and drop their seeding things over our driveway. Really to keep it all out we would need a 15+ foot wall, which I am sure wouldn't be allowed. So why is a hedge of that height?

Oh, and she fell out with us ( and everyone else on the road) we didn't fall out with her :D

To give you an idea how 'private' she is, her husband was taken ill one evening last summer She insisted the ambulance reverse into her driveway so no one would see who was taken ill from the house or what was going on. The ambulance guys looked bemused. I only heard all the commotion as I was out my front driveway potting plants. She is toxic and argues with everyone. Horrible neighbor. Best I can say is she keeps to herself (and that is a good thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Like where? Out on the road?? We have 2 cars parked side by side in the driveway and the sticky things fall on the nearest car. We don't have a huge driveway so cannot shunt them over anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Like where? Out on the road?? We have 2 cars parked side by side in the driveway and the sticky things fall on the nearest car. We don't have a huge driveway so cannot shunt them over anywhere else

A Tarp for each car could be an idea.

Horrible situation. Within the law, your options are limited.
    I wouldn't be too hopeful but you could contact the council and say debris is falling on your car and your concerned the height of the hedge is excessive and if it fell could damage your property (cars&house)
    As I said I wouldnt be hopeful but worth making the phone call at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The neighbor next door has a very high thick and straggly group of hedges/trees along the boundary at the front ( her side) They are probably about 15 feet high now.
    Trim any overhang on your side as much as possible, to see if it sways to her side. Otherwise look into putting some fencing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Fencing with glass or perspex panels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Suggesting, or even hinting at, criminal damage to the tree is not acceptable on this forum. This is your only warning on this thread. Cards will follow for anyone else who suggests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Op, I feel your pain. We have similar neighbours who are strange, intensely private and slightly bonkers.
    It's difficult at times.
    Ourselves we go out of our way not to antigonise the neighbours. It's just not worth it IMHO.
    From what you've said I doubt she would cut the trees to suit you.
    I think I would start by asking councils advice and is there any laws that might help you.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

You could take it to a garage and get a mechanic to assess whether the seedlings falling from the trees could damage the paint work .If he's willing to say it will, maybe it's worth getting a solicitor to write her a letter to that affect saying you could claim financial compensation off her:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/sap-causes-d4-residents-to-sue-1.926228

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

We have no idea of the geography of the OPs house, so no idea if the suggestion is realistic option or not. But it's worth calling as as the simplest option out there.

Calling someone a "crooked old bag" because she happens to like privacy is simply ageist, misogynist nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OP what about a carport, they wouldn't need planning or that and might do the job. Its not ideal you having to go spending money for something which is not your fault but might be handiest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You could take it to a garage and get a mechanic to assess whether the seedlings falling from the trees could damage the paint work .If he's willing to say it will, maybe it's worth getting a solicitor to write her a letter to that affect saying you could claim financial compensation off her:

The council didn't even entertain that, a private individual is even less likely too and the neighbour as described by the OP seems like the least likely person to be agreeable.

OP, erect a net fence.

The council didn't even entertain that, a private individual is even less likely too and the neighbour as described by the OP seems like the least likely person to be agreeable.

OP, erect a net fence.

And where do you come to that conclusion.

There was a case a few years ago when the council responded to the residents requests to remove tree's.

The whole point of legal action is to place an objective, binding resolution process on people like her. Whether she's unagreeable or not has nothing to do with it

There was a case a few years ago when the council responded to the residents requests to remove tree's.

The whole point of legal action is to place an objective, binding resolution process on people like her. Whether she's unagreeable or not has nothing to do with it
    The conclusion is evident in the article, the council said they wouldn't entertain the claims and had paid out on 0 of them.

There is a world of difference between a council moving trees that are an issue for residents and people making successful claims because trees drop leaves and seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

What does the planning permission say about the boundary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Are you advocating that the OP park their car, somewhere other then their own drive? <snip>

If I was in your situation I'd be trimming any of the tree that sways over onto your side of the boundary.

You've described you have a hostile and unfriendly neighbor. Baffles me how the immediate responses from some people are always solutions that cost YOU money to deal with an problem being caused by SOMEONE else.

Stand up for yourself. You don't need to go hacking the thing down, or getting hostile yourself or getting yourself into trouble, just keep trimming the bits that come over onto your site of the fence. Sounds like a bully.

At most in terms of spending your own money, maybe look into a tarp for the cars. I think I know the stuff you are talking about and it is horrible stuff that make a car look absolutely manky. A throwover can be cheap enough and its quick enough to put on and take off.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Are you advocating that the OP park their car, somewhere other then their own drive?

If it provides a quick, pragmatic, accessible solution to the problem, then yes.

If it would involve significant expense, eg renting an off-site carpark, or paying extra insurance because the car is parked on-street, then no. (That said, the last time I owned a car, my insurance premium was higher because I had an off-street car-park.)

The value of discussing issues here is to provide alternatives. I make no apologies for offering a non-car-centric POV, no matter how "offensive" some may find this.

The neighbour has as much right to privacy as the OP has to park in the driveway.

The conclusion is evident in the article, the council said they wouldn't entertain the claims and had paid out on 0 of them.

There is a world of difference between a council moving trees that are an issue for residents and people making successful claims because trees drop leaves and seeds.
    These trees in that part of Dublin are nearly protected, like the buildings around them and on public land.

This is an individual who is responsible for the medium to long term damage to the original posters car by a tree on their property. Its not on public land and its more than likely not in anyway in the same category as the Dublin 4 trees. A solicitors letter outlining that damage caused to the original posters property due to something under their ownership and control is most certainly something they should rectify.

These trees in that part of Dublin are nearly protected, like the buildings around them and on public land.

This is an individual who is responsible for the medium to long term damage to the original posters car by a tree on their property. Its not on public land and its more than likely not in anyway in the same category as the Dublin 4 trees. A solicitors letter outlining that damage caused to the original posters property due to something under their ownership and control is most certainly something they should rectify.

That's just like, your opinion man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

If you want to continue your disagreement please take it to PM. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP have you actually spoke to your neighbour about the height of the hedge? She might not be aware that it's affecting your cars and your sunlight...

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Are there any overhead electrical cables or underground water pipes nearby? Maybe try to get the ESB or council/Irish Water involved if there's potential for the high hedge/deep roots to cause damage to public utilities?

Failing that, there's a fourm on here about 'car detailing'. Maybe someone on there can advise you about a special polish/wax that could protect your cars against these seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I've read through these posts. And i gear what your saying about a wall or netting looking ugly. Ehat about some kind of decorative fencing or trellises???

Ok they won't fix everything but they might help and they can look quite nice. Especially if you have potted plants. Could be nice and functional... even if its not the whole way up the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I feel very sorry for OP. It would appear there is nothing that can be done WRT trees and vegetation i.e. the height.

A wall or fence cannot be built above a certain height, so naturally, those who want more will just plant leylandii and the equivalent. I can't understand that there are no restrictions there.

Just up from me in the back admittedly, is a house that has at least 40ft Leylandii or like that on both sides. The gardens on either side lack light as a result. There is murder going on, but owner of said trees doesn't give a jack sh"t. Council doing nothing as it is not a fence or a wall.

This is mad!

Anyway, I have no solutions. Mediator from somewhere maybe?

Just seems so unfair to me, and I sympathise with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If it's leylandii (and it could be from the description) then they are a curse of a plant. The cost involved may be a factor for your neighbour. To get trees topped can cost thousands. Perhaps offer to cover the cost and see if that makes a difference.

Advertisement