Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandy soil

Options
  • 24-04-2016 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In levelling my garden i order 4 tonnes of soil from a reputable garden delivery company. They advised me to go for a sandy soil. I did, and upon delivery the driver told me its 70sand/30topsoil. Looks almost like a bag of sand... They told me it was grand for growing grass seed but I must say I have my doubts (although I don't know much about this stuff).

Anyone have any experience growing grass in such sandy soil? Does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 akagugs

Hi,
    No problem growing grass on a sandy soil. It will require more work in terms of watering and feeding and more so intended for sportsturf surfaces but could work at home. Personally I would get more topsoil and mix with what you have already until it's at least 50/50 topsoil/sand, if not more, as it'll have more water holding capability and nutrients for the first year. Then you can top dress with sandier soil or just pure sand in year 2 and every year after that.

Advertisement