Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on iPhone Trade-in and Applecare

• 24-04-2016 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I just got my first iPhone.

Trade-in
    So I got a 6. My plan was to trade in for a 7 when that comes out in Sept. I've been reading up about trade in value for 2 gens behind, e.g. 5s now, while the 6s is out, to get an estimate, and it looks paltry. It looks like I won't be trading in.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Applecare
    Can anyone tell me about their experience with cashing in on this when you need it? How tough are the Apple clerks on evaluating your damaged/broken device? So 2 device replacements during the Applecare period. So, if I were to buy it this month, and next month, I accidently dropped it on the street and a car drove over it, boom, or I dropped it in the sea, how would Apple handle it?

I've read many angry people who cashed in on 3rd party insurance when that happens. Many people say they in fact get a non-Apple refurbished iPhone, and nothing else in the box. Some insurance companies charge almost a new iPhone in a 2-year period, making it terrible value.

If Applecare is easy breazy, then for 99 Euro it looks like a bargain.

Thanks for any advice. Go easy on me, new and trying to learn! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi!

Trade-in
    So I got a 6. My plan was to trade in for a 7 when that comes out in Sept. I've been reading up about trade in value for 2 gens behind, e.g. 5s now, while the 6s is out, to get an estimate, and it looks paltry. It looks like I won't be trading in.

Applecare
    Can anyone tell me about their experience with cashing in on this when you need it? How tough are the Apple clerks on evaluating your damaged/broken device? So 2 device replacements during the Applecare period. So, if I were to buy it this month, and next month, I accidently dropped it on the street and a car drove over it, boom, or I dropped it in the sea, how would Apple handle it?

I've read many angry people who cashed in on 3rd party insurance when that happens. Many people say they in fact get a non-Apple refurbished iPhone, and nothing else in the box. Some insurance companies charge almost a new iPhone in a 2-year period, making it terrible value.

The terms and conditions of the AppleCare+ on the Apple site explain how it works, including minimum terms for claims, and maximum amounts of claim. They will run a diagnostic in your phone remotely before they sell You AppleCare+, or organise a repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hi!

Trade-in

Applecare

I bought apple care for my 6 and used it for a bright spot that appeared on my screen 6 months into using it, spoke with a girl I. Portugal and she helped me through the process it was probably one of the best customer services experiences I have had Ups had a replacement phone to me within 3 days, I had mine backed up and when the driver arrived I had it ready to give it to him to return, the only thing with the process they look for credit card details and hold until old phone arrives back, you can track it online, cash never leaves your card so no worries there. It's also good that the warranty is extended to two years. I think it's 50 or 60 euros if you damage it and want a replacement but that's fair enoung and I think it's a max of two accidental damage incidents.
    In a nutshell well worth the money for AppleCare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I never had Apple care but when I had a problem with my iPhone it was simply the the best customer care. They sent me a new IPhone after I had sent mine to them they ended up sending me a brand new iPhone.

As for trade it sell it on adverts If you want to upgrade to the 7 you should get a decent price for it to put towards the upgrade.

Advertisement