Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week ban from After Hours for uncivility

Options
  • 24-04-2016 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

Anyway been in contact with the mod in question and they aren't budging (direct quote).
    Anyway the After Hours sticky seems to be AWOL so I will look at the FAQ to note what Uncivility is for Boards.ie
    The internet is full of anonymous keyboard warriors being rude to each other. We don’t want that here. We're not saying you have to be super-nice to everyone and sign each post with a little heart, but we DO require that you are at least CIVIL to the humans on the other end of this intertube. Everyone is tired of the muppets online and if you feel you must be a dick to others, you aren’t welcome here.

anyway the ban is for posting this on the BBC hiring thread
    Yes and No, you'd be White-Irish, so basically according to "privilege" etc thinking it will be a bit like the Trayvon Martins Zimmerman case, basically you'd be White if you do something negative/are in competition with somebody thats more minority than you but in other circumstance will be a Minority.

Don't despair if your a pasty straight Irish Man, it will take some time but with these steps you will satisfy the criteria.

1--First when your still in the ROI, change your legal gender to female, don't worry no medical professionals of psychologists will assess you and there is no requirement to transition physically or even socially, if you get challenged by somebody about the way you keep wearing masculine clothes, mannerisms etc just say you rebelling against socially constrained gender signifiers.
    And don't worry at some later stage you can change your gender back but make sure you do this after you get the job because it can only be done once.

2--Next move to Northern Ireland, this will be the slowest part of the process, go onto Jobseekers/the Dole, develop a non visible symptom like depression, claim the DLA (this can be done anywhere in the UK but will be much easier in the North)

3--Travel to London,
    If you skipped step one (changing gender in the ROI) start telling people you a Bisexual with Asexual tendencies, if challenged on why you appear to be straight reply that your (A) A Bisexual Sapiosexual and that you can never seem to find a man smart enough to be attractive to you (B) your Asexual tendencies seem to be triggered by the presence of toxic masculinity and/or the whiff of male privilege (remember Gay men are now a privileged group according to some).
    If you did step 1 you can still be with women without any justification as it will be a same gender relationship.

4-- Do some genealogical research, try find somebody thats not from Western Europe in your ancestry, identify as this group, remember you can still be extremely white and be a Person of Colour, if challenged stick to your guns and remember this is a Woman of Colour

5-- Once you have established your credentials, I recommend writing a few articles in the Guardians, Comment is Free to do this.

6-- Get job with the BBC, nobody will dare challenge you on how you self identify, if they do sue and then start writing more articles for the Guardian.

All of the above is redundant though because unless you went to the right schools or universities you don't have a hope of getting into the BBC.

To avoid getting carded for this I will point out that none of what I state above is anyway technically correct, if sufficiently motivated somebody could do all these steps. You can change your legal sex/gender in the ROI and change it back without any assessment. Northern Ireland has a disproportionately high rate of DLA claims, the picture is of Bahar Mustafa who is a Person of Colour, those sexual descriptors have serious use among the trendy London media crowd that the BBC is likely to draw its candidates from.

Rereading this now I realize I should have said anyway not technically correct, I'm not sure if that would have changed the ban

Now I am guessing that the mod presumes that I am being Transphobic, possibly homophobic, and demeaning disabled people.

I would argue that I am not doing anything of the sort, I'm simply stating how one would game a hiring system thats based on discriminatory "affirmative action" hiring criteria.
    Yes and No, you'd be White-Irish, so basically according to "privilege" etc thinking it will be a bit like the Trayvon Martins Zimmerman case, basically you'd be White if you do something negative/are in competition with somebody thats more minority than you but in other circumstance will be a Minority.

Doesn't insult anyone

1--First when your still in the ROI, change your legal gender to female, don't worry no medical professionals of psychologists will assess you and there is no requirement to transition physically or even socially, if you get challenged by somebody about the way you keep wearing masculine clothes, mannerisms etc just say you rebelling against socially constrained gender signifiers.
    And don't worry at some later stage you can change your gender back but make sure you do this after you get the job because it can only be done once.

This is not transphobia.
    The 2015 Gender Recognition Act allows for a change in legal gender (which in Ireland is basically equivalent to Sex) solely by self identification. It also allows for this change in to be revoked

See below
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/enacted/en/pdf

Stating that a person can do this does not mean that I think trans- people are simply mentally ill or that they are still the gender they are born with, it simply states what is legally possible.
    Can stating something that is completely factually correct be against the forum rules? Leaving aside the fact that genuinely transphobic posts often just receive yellow or red cards.
    2--Next move to Northern Ireland, this will be the slowest part of the process, go onto Jobseekers/the Dole, develop a non visible symptom like depression, claim the DLA (this can be done anywhere in the UK but will be much easier in the North)

Again this is factually correct, northern Ireland has more than twice the rate of disability claimants than mainland UK (and the figure has risen in recent years), apart from the legacy of the troubles which might increase the figures a proportion there is widespread recognition that the DLA is claim rate is far too high.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-news/ni-has-207-000-people-on-disability-living-allowance-figures-confirm-1-7085310

Who is being insulted by this part?
    3--Travel to London,
    If you skipped step one (changing gender in the ROI) start telling people you a Bisexual with Asexual tendencies, if challenged on why you appear to be straight reply that your (A) A Bisexual Sapiosexual and that you can never seem to find a man smart enough to be attractive to you (B) your Asexual tendencies seem to be triggered by the presence of toxic masculinity and/or the whiff of male privilege (remember Gay men are now a privileged group according to some).
    If you did step 1 you can still be with women without any justification as it will be a same gender relationship.

Is this homophobic :confused: its mocking the trend among a very small subsection of millennials to define their sexuality with a lot of labels but its not insulting or targetting gay or bisexual people
    4-- Do some genealogical research, try find somebody thats not from Western Europe in your ancestry, identify as this group, remember you can still be extremely white and be a Person of Colour, if challenged stick to your guns and remember this is a Woman of Colour

Is this racist? who exactly is it insulting? Ethnicity/Race (the two are slightly conflated) in the UK operates by a purpose of self-identification, the picture illustrates that one can be extremely "Caucasian" looking and be a person of colour.

The rest of the post is about the Guardian and the BBC so not sure who it could insult.

Now I understand that this post might annoy the social opinion of a handful of posters, but so do many many posts on AH, its not a hive mind.
    Is there genuinely anything in my post that is either incorrect or insulting to an actual poster or person (apart from Guardian writers) rather than mocking simply being mildly disparaging on some of the focus on identity politics.

This seems like I am getting a ban because a Mod doesn't like it being pointed out a focus on "identity" and the current laws designed to protect people could be abused because everything rests on self identification but its not being uncivil to any actual individuals or groupings.

Edit: Since I notice one of the posts below me is a gay poster having been carded for homophobia perhaps AH is maybe a little heavy on the moderation these days!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi RDM

Thanks for following the first step in the DRP by contacting the mod in question. Could you forward on all pms relating to this issue along with anything else you would like considered?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thanks for forwarding on pms.

Could I request that you reengage with the mod with a view to resolving this issue? If still can't reach resolution then please post back here.

Hi RDM
    I understand you have reached agreement with the relevant mod. Please advise if I can mark this as resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Sorry yes thanks

Good to hear. Thanks to both of you for the positive engagement.

Admin - Please mark this as resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement