Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring and insulation

Options
  • 25-04-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I'm in the process of drylining our shed and want to put in a few sockets run
    from a ring circuit. is 2.5 twin and earth good enough if its going to be behind
    100mm of insulation and plasterboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

iam in the same boat, i hope some one answer?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cables sizes should be selected on the basis of a number of criteria to ensure that:

1) The volt drop is not excessive.

2) That the cable selected has the required current carrying capacity.

3) That the earth fault loop impedance is sufficiently low so as to ensure that the maximum disconnection time is not exceeded.

Cables passing through insulation may have to be derated as they can not cool as easily as cables that do not pass through insulation. This can mean that a larger cable size may be required.

Generally a 2.5 mm sq. T & E will be sufficient, but it is impossible to say this will be sufficient in the OP's case as the information provided is lacking and there are so many variables.

It is also worth noting that a socket circuit should not supply more than two rooms (a hall doesn't count as a room). Best practice would be to have the shed on a dedicated socket circuit, but legally only a registered electrical contractor may carry out this work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

2011 wrote: »

It is also worth noting that a socket circuit should not supply more than two rooms (a hall doesn't count as a room). Best practice would be to have the shed on a dedicated socket circuit, but legally only a registered electrical contractor may carry out this work.

No more than two rooms are you sure?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No more than two rooms are you sure?

I'm working abroad at the moment so I can't check.
    But yes I'm confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    I'm working abroad at the moment so I can't check. But yes I'm confident.

Correct

• Advertisement
Advertisement