Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCA1 form

Options
  • 25-04-2016 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

I'm completing the fca1 for a ruger 10/22. Its my first fire arm application , no previous refusal or bad history with the Gardai, plus its only for range use so I can't foresee any problems with the application.I joined a club 4weeks ago and have insurance so hoping there will be no issues.

Ive a question re the amount of ammunition on the fca. What is the realistic amount of ammo I should ask for target shooting on a range?A few hours on the range would see a couple of hundred rounds gone and I would rather bulk buy when at a shop than pay as I go from the range.Is 2000 rounds realistic?

Appreciate any other comments / advice re first application..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The amount of rounds you need should be realistic but also not governed by what you think they might give you. IOW if you can show cause for the amount you asked for then there is no reason to doubt yourself. Apply for that amount.

Also take into consideration that Irish law says an empty case is the same a live round so if you bring home your empties you need enough to cover both live and spent "rounds".

As most people buy 22 ammo in bricks of 500 i'd look for a minimum of 1,000 rounds. If you need more then apply for 1,250 or 1,500 or whatever you think you need. just don't ask for a high number, expecting a low "counter offer" and also not a number you cannot validate with a reason., as above.

Include a reason on the separate piece of paper you will provide with the reasons set out. Something like this:
    Re: Section 4.1 - I request an allowance of "insert amount " for the following reasons:
    1. Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    2. I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
    3. Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
    4. Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.

For these reasons I hope you can grant my request to increase the limit of ammunition to allow me to stay within the conditions of my licence.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

scwazrh wrote: »
    I'm completing the fca1 for a ruger 10/22. Its my first fire arm application , no previous refusal or bad history with the Gardai, plus its only for range use so I can't foresee any problems with the application.I joined a club 4weeks ago and have insurance so hoping there will be no issues.

Ive a question re the amount of ammunition on the fca. What is the realistic amount of ammo I should ask for target shooting on a range?A few hours on the range would see a couple of hundred rounds gone and I would rather bulk buy when at a shop than pay as I go from the range.Is 2000 rounds realistic?

Appreciate any other comments / advice re first application..

It all depends on how much shooting that you intend to do. If you are going to go to the range once per week, then you will probably use between 200 - 500 rounds per range visit. Realistically you can't be expected to go to your gun dealer to buy ammo every week, or every month for that matter. I estimated how much ammo I would use in a month and then I applied for twice that.

2000 sounds sensible enough to me. Buying in bulk is not only cheaper, but you get batch consistency. That means less zeroing of your gun etc. I buy 10,000 at a time and that will keep me going for a long time.

Another piece of advice is don't ask for an amount of ammo without sending in a letter with your application explaining the reasoning for you wanting that amount of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Saying that, just because you ask for it and send a letter does not mean you'll get that amount.

I recently applied for a .22 Pistol, asked for 2,000 round and wrote a letter explaining that from time to time .22 target ammo is hard to get and I would like to be in a position to buy in bulk. I also install a second safe to hold the ammo seperate from the firearms.

Licence came, 750 rounds on it. So regardless on what you ask for, until the little yellow card comes in the post, you'll not know.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Saying that, just because you ask for it and send a letter does not mean you'll get that amount.

I recently applied for a .22 Pistol, asked for 2,000 round and wrote a letter explaining that from time to time .22 target ammo is hard to get and I would like to be in a position to buy in bulk. I also install a second safe to hold the ammo seperate from the firearms.

Licence came, 750 rounds on it. So regardless on what you ask for, until the little yellow card comes in the post, you'll not know.

I suppose it depends on how well you spell out your case and how reasonable your Super is. I was allowed 2000 on my pistol licence.

I've never not gotten the amount i was looking for. I gave all the above reasons and with my nearest dealer over an hour away the distance issue is particularly relevant. The best reason i find is the empty/live issue. Its the law and i'm trying to abide by it so giving me less than i ask for would threaten my ability to remain within the limits of the license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

the empty issue should not come up, as you are required on most ranges to pick up your casings after you have shot. I know of a lot of cases were amounts of ammunition have even been cut down on renewals , were supers have asked for competition books as well as the reason you want that number of rounds. its a lottery you are not guaranteed to get what you are asking for, certainly put in a letter with your application just don't hold your breath, its depends on a lot of factors i.e where you live, what the super is like.

Pick them up, not leave them there. Plus when out hunting, etc. good practice is to police your brass. Also, and i know this does not apply to everyone, i reload on the MNSCI so i keep a collection of empty brass for that.

So the empty issue is one of the best to use. If it was a non issue then they wouldn't be classed as live rounds under law.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

Don't know anyone that would reload the .22 they fairly priced and easy enough to get, I have shot loads, thousands and they always end up in the brass bucket. Know loads who have licences for 1000's but they getting them chopped down by the guards, its happened to me because the amount of firearms that I have.

hermes2011 wrote: »
    Don't know anyone that would reload the .22 they fairly priced and easy enough to get
    No one does for the reasons you said and the danger factor. I was speaking in general terms and the reloading is not applicable to the majority of people.
    , I have shot loads, thousands and they always end up in the brass bucket.
    7I've done the same, and then i've also brought it home with me. I collect all my brass and sot it at home. If i have .22 i'll either dump it at the range the next day and then keep the centrefire stuff.
    Know loads who have licences for 1000's but they getting them chopped down by the guards, its happened to me because the amount of firearms that I have.
    And i know as many that have gotten increases. There is no rule. I find most people that loose some of their allowance do ti for two reasons:
    • Super/New Super is being unreasonable
    • They did not put forward a good enough reason(s)
    Not one of my licenses is under 1,000 rounds and i've have a few licenses of the same calibers.

To the OP. Ask, give goo reasons and DO NOT overlook any reason. If you only give one it can be refuted. If you give 4, 5, 6, etc. its harder to dismiss them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thanks for above ,
    On the form section 4.2 Ive answered for "target shooting in an authorised range" It then asks you to state why this type of firearm is required? What can I write here only that its the most common calibre firearm used for target shooting??

Re: Proof of competence - How can I prove I'm competent with a firearm?

• Advertisement

You fill out the reason on a separate piece of paper outlining the reason. No need for a novel. Keep it short and on point. Something like:
    Section 4.2 - Reason for firearm.
    I am applying for the firearm for the purpose of sports target shooting on I]insert range name[/I.

Same goes for your ammo. Write something like:
    Section 4.1 - Ammunition allowance.
    I am seeking an ammunition allowance in the amount of I]insert desired limit[/I. Reasons for this are:
    • During the course of practising, and competitions i may fire several hundred rounds.
    • I require this amount as under the firearms act spent casings are classed the same as live ammunition.
    • It is also best practice to buy .22lr rimfire ammunition in bulk so as to achieve the best and most consistent results.
    • A low allowance would require multiple trips to the registered firearm dealer to restock which may leave me short of ammunition on any given day if i cannot make the journey as well as leaving me without the same batch i have my firearm set for.
    • In keeping with the Commissioners guidelines where a minimum limit of 750 is advisable for target shooting i would require the amount set out above to actively participate in my sport for the reasons given.

You can use some, all or none of these reasons. Its up to yourself.

As for competence. There are four ways:
    1. Competency course which your rang will provide.
    2. Letter(s) of support from people you know that already have firearms or from the range itself stating you have been supervised and deemed competent to safely use a firearm under their instruction.
    3. Any previous experience (might not be for you as you say its your first firearm)
    4. Training certificate (again may not be for you as this is your first license)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

sorry somewhat unrelated but what do you do if you have a load of ammo you want to get rid of . i bought cheap federal ammo and as i mainly target shoot its useless for that and i have no use for it so just want rid . can i hand it in at a cop shop or what do i do

sorry somewhat unrelated but what do you do if you have a load of ammo you want to get rid of .
    Yeah, thats completely unrelated kid. :D
    i bought cheap federal ammo and as i mainly target shoot its useless for that and i have no use for it so just want rid . can i hand it in at a cop shop or what do i do
    Sell it, trade it, give it to someone else with a license for that caliber.

sorry somewhat unrelated but what do you do if you have a load of ammo you want to get rid of . i bought cheap federal ammo and as i mainly target shoot its useless for that and i have no use for it so just want rid . can i hand it in at a cop shop or what do i do

I'd eat the ammo before I'd hand it in at a cop shop. Even if it was crap ammo, I'd use it for target practice or a bit of plinking from the 10m line or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Put it up in the for sale section. You could always offer it for a really low price.......which i might pay :p

Advertisement