Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still trying to figure it all out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Friday 25/08

5 recovery@8:59. More disciplined and stuck to the plan. This week "extra" run

Saturday 26/08

6 recovery with 6x100m strides. Just went local for this, with the strides done on grass. It was a warm muggy afternoon, and the effort felt laboured to be honest. Strides were ok though.

Sunday 27/08

Bit of a disaster running wise. I just never got out the door. I couldn't sleep last night. I went to bed in plenty of time but in the end I gave up and got up to watch the fight (farce t.b.h. but the young lad and his buddy were up watching it so I joined them), and then still couldn't sleep afterwards. I gave up trying and just got up and had breakfast around 9 - after which I went up to get changed for a run, sat on the bed and was asleep within 10 minutes!! My body was still in night shift mode I suppose. I woke around 12 and immediately felt under pressure to squeeze the run in and get back in time for another obligation, while at the same time I was feeling exhausted. My brain was just doing loop the loops and I couldn't figure out what to do. Then I copped myself on and reminded myself this was a hobby and meant to be enjoyed. I took a day off. A proper day off - the first in ages I'd say (first rest day in a while where I wasn't either at work or working in the house). Relaxed at home and watched the 'pool destroy Arsenal!! Tomorrow is another day.

Next week is supposed to be a recovery week. However today's run was supposed to be 16 with 12@MP - I really want to get this done. So I plan to get a good nights sleep tonight and go out and do it tomorrow. I'll probably drop one of the other runs from next week. I've stuck very closely to the plan for this block and I can afford to give myself a bit of a break (even if it's just a mental break) for a week. There's no point in forcing it if the head isn't right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Snap! I feel much better now reading that. Just have zero energy today and completely zapped after the messed up sleep. Figured a proper rest day would do way more good than harm. I think I'll push the MP long run all the way to next Sunday though. At least then there is a good chunk of recovery days together as the week just gone finished with two of them....

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Snap! I feel much better now reading that. Just have zero energy today and completely zapped after the messed up sleep. Figured a proper rest day would do way more good than harm. I think I'll push the MP long run all the way to next Sunday though. At least then there is a good chunk of recovery days together as the week just gone finished with two of them....

It's like our training patterns have fallen into some sort of weird synch!! It probably bodes well that we're following the same plan and getting similarly fatigued around the same time.

I was thinking of pushing that MP run forward until next Sunday, but I'm working Saturday night/Sunday morning and there's now way I'll be in the humour when I get up after only 4 or 5 hours sleep. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll do the school run and then head off after that. There's a 5x800@5k during the week too - it knocked the stuffing out of me last year and I had been doing intervals sessions earlier on in the year. I think this year it'll be the first VO2 max session since February. I'm pushing that forward too from Wednesday to Friday. The 14 MLR then will be whatever I feel like doing on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

It's like our training patterns have fallen into some sort of weird synch!! It probably bodes well that we're following the same plan and getting similarly fatigued around the same time.

I was thinking of pushing that MP run forward until next Sunday, but I'm working Saturday night/Sunday morning and there's now way I'll be in the humour when I get up after only 4 or 5 hours sleep. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll do the school run and then head off after that. There's a 5x800@5k during the week too - it knocked the stuffing out of me last year and I had been doing intervals sessions earlier on in the year. I think this year it'll be the first VO2 max session since February. I'm pushing that forward too from Wednesday to Friday. The 14 MLR then will be whatever I feel like doing on Sunday evening.

Our paths will diverge for a little while so. Just after putting down on paper the repercussions of skipping the run today and it's out paid to couple of other ideas I was toying with in advance of racing in two weeks.

Just to ask you, what recoveries have you planned to do or did you do last year? I hadn't given the difficulty much thought. Kind of figured it would be handy in comparison to the LT sessions. I guess not. I haven't done anything that pace since the end of June!!!

JohnDozer wrote:
    Just to ask you, what recoveries have you planned to do or did you do last year? I hadn't given the difficulty much thought. Kind of figured it would be handy in comparison to the LT sessions. I guess not. I haven't done anything that pace since the end of June!!!

The first one is a bit of a shock to the system. The 600s are grand and then I just got the hang of them and started to enjoy them. Nice to get a bit of speed back in the legs.
    The book says recoveries are to be from 50% to 90% of the time taken to do the interval. I just picked a round time in between those to figures. So 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00 and 4:00 for the 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1600s. Mostly jogged, but may have walked the first 30 seconds or so for some of them. I managed to get to a track for a lot of them which was good too.

• Advertisement

Monday 28/08

The plan was to do Sundays 16 miles with 12@MP, but it didn't go to well. I didn't get out until the afternoon, when it was warm and humid. I could feel it during the 4 miles easy at the start - it felt like I was working too hard, but my HR readings weren't too high. I was ok during the first 4 miles of MP but then just felt the urge to stop, which I did for about 30 seconds. Then again after another 2 miles or thereabouts of MP, the again another 3 or 4 times. This was foolish really, I should have just pulled the plug or slowed down. My breathing was all over the place and my legs just felt like they had no power in them. I was very thirsty as well, so I hadn't sufficiently hydrated. The effort felt way higher than what it should have been, even though the HR readings were in the right range for most of it. I just felt like I couldn't get enough air in. And as if to mock me, it started raining just after I'd finished - lovely cooling rain!
    Two big mistakes here - going out for this session in conditions where I never perform well, and not being relaxed like I was for the sessions/runs int the previous weeks. I put myself under pressure to hit MP - and whenever I approach a session with that mindset I end up running too fast and my pace tends to be a bit erratic. Overall most of the splits were in the right range, with a couple of fast miles, but a lot of those splits are fairly misleading because I paused my watch whenever I stopped. There's no point in trying to repeat this session - I'll just have to make sure I do the 18 with 14@MP properly in a few weeks time.

Tuesday 29/08

5 recovery@9:02 on grass. Marked only by its unremarkableness.

Wednesday 30/08

8 General Aerobic - 8:38; 8:19; 8:28; 8:24; 8:00; 8:05; 8:33. A nice early morning run in very cool temps. I wish it could have been like this on Monday! Felt a bit sluggish at the start, but better as the run went on. I was tired by the end though - more than I should be for an 8 miler. My nose was very stuffed up by the time came home in the evening and an early night was in order.

Thursday 31/08

This week is all a bit up in the air plan wise, so although I had the gear set out and the alarm set for a pre-work run, I opted instead for an extra hour in bed and a rest day. Get a bit better after a good sleep and this evening all signs of a cold are gone - so definitely allergy related I think. The cooler air helps. I'll probably have a go off the 5x800 VO2 max session tomorrow.

Friday 01/09

Indecision takes hold again so my planned morning session got put off until the afternoon. Then I though it was too hot in the afternoon, so I put it off until the evening. I decided in the end to just do the session before work that evening. Bearing in mind that I had already swapped this session from Tuesday to Thursday, and then cried off on Thursday it was a wonder I got it done at all!!

The session was a VO2 Max session: 8 miles including 5x800m @ 5k pace with an interval jog 50% to 90% of the interval time. So the goal was the do the 800m in 3:05 and I just choose a nice round RI of 2 minutes (about 65% of the interval time). There's no track near work so I went down to the ferry port and did the session on a big flat wide open space of tarmac - basically it's where the cars queue up to get on the ferry. I was relying on the Garmin to measure distance, so maybe not the most accurate 800m but close enough I think. One lap is about 600m, so it was one a bit laps and the jog around for two minutes until I got back to the start. I left a water bottle close enough to where I'd finish each interval - I find a small mouthful of water between reps helpful for these session. Weather wise - well the car said is was 19 or 20 degrees on the way out, but there was very little in the way of humidity and a bit of a cool breeze so I didn't feel too hot. That being said, there was no one around so the the t shirt came off after the 2nd rep. Each rep came in a bit fast, but the effort felt about right - although I did let loose a bit on the last rep - so I'm not too worried about that. The reps felt controlled, but hard and getting gradually harder. I definitely had another one if not two in me at the end. Felt grand afterwards too, and I'm not too tired today either. Last year I made a right mess of this session, so I was glad to get it done and done well.

Splits (from Garmin Connect)
    Warmup: 2.45 miles@8:32 average

Reps: 3:01, 3:01, 2:58; 2:58; 2:53

Cool Down: 2.1 miles@ 8@52 average

Saturday 02/09

6@8:16

Just a trot around the harbour before work again,. The plan had 8 miles with 8x100m strides, but I decided to skip the strides and go with the lower mileage because of yesterdays session. I had company from about 1.5 miles on until near the end, but at times we couldn't hear each other speak over the wind. I was soaked through after 400m and gave up dodging puddles because there was just no avoiding them. However I really enjoyed this run - maybe because the rain kept me cool, and probably because the few miles just ticked away with the bit of company.

So after feeling wrecked during the week and a few doubts starting to creep in, a good session and a nice easy run have restored my confidence. Next week is the last week of mesocycle 2 and it seems to have just flown by. It definitely felt much harder last year - Im not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Nice work. Enjoyed that session myself the previous week. Looking forward to more of the V02 though I wont be taking my own T shirt off until next season, after I get a winter in the gym :D:cool:

denis b wrote: »
    Nice work. Enjoyed that session myself the previous week. Looking forward to more of the V02 though I wont be taking my own T shirt off until next season, after I get a winter in the gym :D:cool:

If today was anything to go by, it was my last chance until next year. Not something I'd get away with running around Cork City centre either!! :D

• Advertisement

Sunday 03/09

14 medium long@8:35

This ended up being a really tough run. I finished work at 8am and slept from around 9 to 1pm. It was a really warm evening here - I watched the match and then headed out about 5.30 and the car was still reading 22 degrees - although it was probably more like 20. I did cool down a bit towards the end of the run. I couldn't really pick up the pace most during this run, except for the last mile but I was bucketing sweat and definitely fatigued from lack of sleep. However it fell well for me, time wise in that it was only a 2 hour run. I've done 20 milers after two night shifts before and to be honest it's something I'd rather avoid. By the end of this I felt like I'd run 20 though, and was glad to be finished. Swings and roundabouts.

Monday 04/09

Rest day with a check up at the physio. All good - just a bit of tightness in my mid back and the usual posterior chain issues on the right side. I got a good massage and a few needles into the glutes and calf on the RHS. It was my first visit since before CCM and it was nice to get a clean bill of health. Yeah I have a couple of niggles, but I seem to be managing them fine. No real residual fatigue from yesterdays MLR

The start of a funny week - feeling a bit tired overall, and my heart just wasn't fully in it. A couple of very early starts and one or two short sleeps didn't help the overall mood, but nevertheless I think I put the effort in

Tuesday 05/09

The dreaded 11 miles with 7@LT. Instead of going back over to the Marina were I did the 6 mile session I chose the Straight Road/Lee Fields option. The first 3 miles of LT were nearly all in to the wind (from the carpark down past the Anglers Rest, around the corner to the bridge and back to the lights). The pace was a bit slower than my last session, but not slow enough as my HR showed the effort levels were higher. The next 2 miles were a bit faster with the wind at my back , but I started to suffer again during the 6th mile. At about 5.3 miles I felt very overheated but then had to stop to cough due to a post nasal drip situation. I managed to take on some water just after this but then had to stop again around half a mile later as some of the water came straight back up. Finished off the last mile and bit with no issues - back out the Straight Road into the wind for half of it and then back through the Lee Fields with the wind at my back for the rest. This was tough and I wish I didn't have to stop, but I think I barely got through 3 miles of this last year, so an improvement nonetheless.

Splits.

Warmup: 8:24; 8:36
    7@LT: 6:55; 6:51; 6:53; 6:45; 6:46; 6:57 (2 stops around 1 minute); 6:47 - so more like 5.3 miles. 1 min rec, 0.5 miles 1 min rec, 1.2 miles.
    Cool down: 8:55; 8:48

Don't know what this means for Charleville. Again it was fairly warm out by the end of the LT session which sent the effort levels higher. I still got a continuous 36 minutes @ LT pace and 48 minutes total. I'll probably still go for the sub 1:30, but reckon I might just drift outside it. A PB it still on the cards though unless it's an absolute disaster.

Wednesday 06/09

7 General Aerobic.

5 miles around Blarney way, with the strides done on a flat bit of road near the carpark and finished with a mile cool down for 8 total. The strides felt good, and I took 1 minute jogged recovery between each one. The same as this time last year - I was tired so I decided to take it a bit easier with the strides but ended up doing them at the same pace with a bit less effort.

8:31; 8:27; 8:26; 8:22; 8:22; 8:15 (with strides); 8:37

Thursday 07/09

Tossed and turned until about 1 am or even past it, and was then up a 5 to do this. It was fairly tough for the first 3 or so miles - my body didn't want to be doing this at all. But I warmed up and my mind and body woke up when the sun came out - I ended up enjoying this. Nothing remarkable, and didn't really pick up the pace as much as previous runs, but didn't care either, although I pushed it a bit for the last mile.

8:54; 8:38; 8:50; 8:49; 8:41; 8:18; 8:28; 8:17; 8:28; 8:30; 8:19; 8:08.

Friday 08/09

5 recovery@9:05. So bland I've forgotten it already.

Saturday 09/09

Long run - 20 miles.

Working tonight and tomorrow night so this weeks rest day got skipped and all the runs for second half of the week got pulled forward by a day. I got a decent sleep for once this week - an early night and an early start too. I was still a bit tired though - I felt very sluggish - and was a bit apprehensive about this run. I decided that I'd start off easy and then see how I felt as the run progressed with the intention of completing the distance even if it meant sacrificing a bit of pace. There was a fine stiff breeze which I think I benefited from more than it hindered me. I did my usual 8 mile loop, parking at the rowing club by Pairc Ui Caoimh and off towards Blackrock Castle, Mahon walkway, the Old railway line, round the Atlantic pond, then down Monahan Road and back up Centre Park Road back to the car to pick up water. So I did this twice and then up and down to Blackrock village and down Centre Park road and up Monahan Road back to the car to make up the last 4 miles. I took 250mls of water every 4 miles and a High Gel with caffeine at 11 and 15 miles. The first 4 or 5 miles felt hard, the first 2 especially - I was creaking and shuffling along and felt warm enough by mile 5. Things improved a bit then as I loosened out and found my stride where I put in a few faster miles which actually felt easier. The 2nd lap was much better and I was able to pick up the pace for the last six mile, although I did stray a good bit beyond my limit of 8:10 for these. Firstly the effort just felt right - not too hard, and not too easy (the way you normally feel at the end of a long run). Also my watch started beeping at me around mile 13 that it had a low battery - I may have picked up the pace a little to finish the run before it died. :o I was paying more attention to the distance displayed on the watch rather than the pace though, and I never felt like I was working to keep up the pace. Besides all that, I was having fun, I felt good and just went with it.

I felt ok afterwards - a bit stiff here and there but I wasn't completely wrecked, and right now, while I do feel a bit tired, I feel a lot better than I usually do after a 20 miler. This run has given me great confidence - my endurance has really improved, and my recovery rate has quickened. I think I'm definitely heading in the right direction - getting stronger and faster, and I think I might be on for my target, or at least close to it. I'm getting tempted to make the last "20 miler" a 3 hour run which would probably be in and around 21 miles or so if I'm feeling good on the day. Of course I could just do the 20 a bit slower to make it 3 hours, but anyone who reads this log will know thats not going to happen. :)

Splits:

Lap 1: 8:58; 8:50; 8:41; 8:56; 8:36; 8:37; 8:29; 8:31
    Lap 2: 8:26; 8:23; 8:27; 8:31; 8:22; 8:09; 8:07; 8:05
    Final 4: 7:51; 7:57; 7:47; 7:48.

Sunday 10/09

5.1 recovery@9:1. I don't remember much about this except it was a bit windy and I was a bit tired from the long run and work.

Weekly miles: 60.3

Monday 11/09

Nada. Rest day.

Tuesday 12/09

VO2 max session - 8 miles including 5x600m at 5k pace.

I was going to head down to the Mardyke for this one, but in the end I couldn't be arsed driving all the way across town, so I just headed put the door and to a local park with an approx 500m flat tarmac loop. I felt a big sluggish during the warmup miles, but that was to be expected due to this being my first full day off after nights. The pace for the intervals was fast again - about the same as for the 800s a couple of weeks ago, but it felt a bit harder this time - maybe it was a bit windier, and perhaps I was a tad faster. Recoveries were 1:30 - the usual by now of stop for 10s, jog back to water bottle, quick swig and then jog up and down a bit until the time wasp. It felt like a decent session, but probably would have felt better has I run the intervals in the correct range. Still I got a course record on Strava for a lap of the park - which I had been hunting for a couple of years, but had forgotten about. Weather was ok - cool enough, with some rain for the last interval.

Goal for the 600m was 2:19 (about 6:12 min/mile)

Warmup: 3 miles@8:48
    Splits: 2:15; 2:14; 2:16; 2:15; 2:13
    Cooldown: 2.45@8:32

Total: 8.01 miles.

Wednesday 13/09

12 Medium long run.

I himmed and hawed about doing this for several reasons. I've the Charleville half at the weekend, so was doing a 12 miler midweek really a good idea? Except the Charleville isn't the Main Thing, so I stuck to the plan. I was also short on time and had to just go out and get it done before the lads finished up on a half day. Anyway, the heart was in it at the beginning and I'd have loved another hour or two just pottering round the house. I decided to just take it easy for this run - but as always I'd picked up the pace by mile 3. I felt like I was just shuffling along for the first 2 miles, so I was a bit surprised at the splits.
    Overall, it was a nice day weatherwise, with a bit of a stiff breeze in places, but I was mostly sheltered from that by trees. I was tired by the end of it though - but I think that was more function of not being relaxed and having half an eye on the time of day. In the end I finished in plenty of time and there was no need to be stressing at all. Just another mid week MLR to be chalked down.
    Splits: 8:41; 8:34; 8:26; 8:33; 8:13; 8:31; 8:21; 8:20; 8:24; 8:16; 8:19; 8;18.
    Actually maybe it was a bit too fast, and I may have done some harm to Sunday, but I won't now that until 11:30 Sunday morning.

Thursday 14/09

Free gaff for the morning!! Lounged about for a couple of hours then headed down the Glen for some recovery miles. Tried to colour in the pitch but there was a dog walkers convention going on and as per usual a big dopey one came running up barking and running around me, so I just headed off down to the trails and paths in the park. (Seriously - there was about 6 people and 20 dogs). A nice fresh sunny morning, with a small drop of rain during the last mile.

Recovery 6.1@9:03, nice and leisurely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck on Sunday, in a similar boat to you with it not being the main thing so fooling myself into thinking I won't push it on the day but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck Sunday.

diego_b wrote:
    Best of luck on Sunday, in a similar boat to you with it not being the main thing so fooling myself into thinking I won't push it on the day but.....

As me mother in law would say (in her best Dublinese) "Yeah, right!"
    I'm going all out, final 200m grimace and dry heaving at the finish line complete with post finish over excited babbling. Can't wait. It'll be my first half since the same race last year.

diego_b wrote:

I'm going all out, final 200m grimace and dry heaving at the finish line complete with post finish over excited babbling. Can't wait. It'll be my first half since the same race last year.

Haha good stuff and you definitely should as hard to know where you're at that distance if you haven't raced it that long. Fingers crossed for a nice surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

A big PB sosmile.png.
    Best of luck Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

good luck on Sunday, have a super run...your description above sounds a bit like me:eek:;);)!!!!!

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    good luck on Sunday, have a super run...your description above sounds a bit like me:eek:;);)!!!!!

Yep, hard to tell the difference between post race me and post 5 pints me at times. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Enjoy M. Give it your best and looking forward to see how you get on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of Luck tomorrow, hope it goes well.

Cheers everyone. Although I appear to be at the very beginnings of what might be a cold. :( :eek: I;m hoping it holds off for another 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Give it socks. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Friday 15/09

Even though Charleville is not the "main thing" I didn't bother with this weeks "extra" recovery and had myself a rest day.

Saturday 16/09

5 miles with 6x100m strides. I woke up feeling crap - stuffy nose, scratchy throat etc, but not quite "sick" yet. I took every thing in the medicine cabinet and headed out early before work. I felt rubbish doing this - tired and cranky and even the strides were lame - I just couldn't put the effort in. Just felt a bit off. The run seemed to clear my head though, but I felt really tired that evening when I got home from work and headed off to bed early enough. I wasn't very hopeful for Sunday at this stage. I sort of consoled myself by thinking that if I got a decent 10 miles in I'd have done ok, and if the weather was on my side and this cold (or whatever it was) didn't progress I might still be able to have a good stab at my sub 1:30 goal.

jake1970 wrote: »
    A big PB sosmile.png.
    Best of luck Sunday.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Now tell me how I'm going to get on in Dublin!!

Sunday 17/9

The big day arrived (note: not the Big Day, that's in October). It was Charleville half marathon time again for the third year in a row. I love this race and its probably my second favourite race after DCM. I woke up feeling a bit crap - but about as crap as I felt on Saturday, if not a tiny bit better. So coffee, porridge, the 3s's, changed and out the gap by 8am. It was a gorgeous morning in the city - 6 or 7 degrees and clear skies, but got overcast after Mallow. Even though I know exactly where the best place to park is, I allowed myself to be distracted by Hi Vis vest man and parked about half a mile away from registration. So about a mile walk up and down to pick up my race pack, and then got togged off by the car because I was too lazy to carry my bag with me. I did an very easy two mile warmup with a few attempts at some drills and some dynamic stuff. Honestly. I felt like I was running a bit faster than the watch was telling me doing this. Bumped into a couple of Boardsies at the start and after a quick chat we were off. Oh yeah - I broke my good glasses during the week and I cant run in my spare pair because they keep slipping, so I was pretty much not able to recognise any faces that were further than 4 of 5 feet away.

Miles 1-3

6:38; 6:44; 6:40

I'd started a bit back from the 1:30 pacers ,but I caught up with them fairly quickly. The first mile in Charleville is a fast mile because although its the "flattest half marathon in Ireland" that doesn't mean there's no change in gradient - you loose about 75ft in the first mile (or 22.86 metres in the first 1.6km). Even still I though the 1:30 pacers were going too fast for me, so I backed off and held a steady effort. Mile 2 was still a bit fast, but everything felt ok so I decided to go with it. I'd run with a group and then moved onto the next group and so on. Mile 3 has to only "hill" if you can call it that - a bridge over the railway line. I maintained my pace and used the gentle slope on the other side to gain a few seconds. I think somewhere around here is where I got in with a group of about 3 or 4 West Limerick AC runners and 3 or 4 more. They were all going at a decent clip, but again it felt ok, so I just ran at their pace for a while.

Miles 4-6

6:41; 6:44; 6:46

I was well settled in a this stage. I was very thirsty though already and was glad of a drink at the 5k mark I stuck with the little group that had formed, just occasionally glancing at the watch, just trying to run relaxed, breathe easy and focus on keeping my effort levels constant. I was comfortable and gaining in confidence. This part of the course is long and straight and to be honest there is nothing much to report. I just ran. I wanted to try the Kinetica gels in a race situation, so I took one at 4.5 miles with no ill effects. We caught up with the 1:30 group around 5.5 miles (I think) and sort of merged into them. I was feeling a bit boxed in though so managed to work my out to the front of the group before we turned up the approach road to Kilmallock. I had open road in front of me now, and I picked it up a small bit and decided that I was feeling good and Id go for it and see what happened. There'd been a bit of breeze into our faces all the way which I felt was a bit more noticeable here, so I was conscious not to push it too much for now.

Miles 7-10

6:31; 6:25; 6:37; 6:33

Mile 7 is my favourite part of the race and always results in a fast mile. We reached Kilmallock and ran under the arch, turned onto the main street and then turned again at the church to start running back to Charleville. Think of it like a spacecraft doing a slingshot manoeuvre around the moon. There were a few out cheering on the runners and it always gives me a great boost. More water after the church then, and the half way point too. The road falls off a bit for the last half of mile 7. I noticed the lap pace on my watch, but instead of freaking out and putting the brakes on, I just went with it. Mile 8 - still "downhill" - it's only 20 feet over 1 mile (6m/1.6km), but I could feel the benefit of it. These roads were back roads, so the surface wasn't the best, but I've raced on worse. I was motoring now, my form felt good and I was starting to pass people, catch groups, move on a bit etc. until I suppose I came to a point were everyone was running at the same pace as me. Just before the 9 mile marker I briefly chatted to a guy in a green singlet (I could speak in short sentences), but he moved off fairly sharpish. I tried to keep up with him for a bit, but I could feel the effort levels rising so I backed off. I started doing mental calculations here and it was here I figured I was on for PB even if I had a horrendous last 2 miles. I felt like I had nothing to loose and everything to gain by pushing it. I took another gel at mile 9 - again - no ill effects. I can't remember much about mile 10 - I know I hit the 10 mile marker faster than Id ever run a 10 mile race and still felt like I could keep going. We turned back onto the main road and had the last water stop - half of which went over my head. Effort levels were very high now and I had to keep telling myself to hold on and the end was in sight.

Miles 11-13.1

6:32; 6:29; 6:32; 48s for the bit (5:48 pace)

The last 3 miles of Charleville are tough. I suppose the last 3 miles of any half are tough, but Charleville is a fast half. The very very gradual gain in elevation feels like a proper drag in parts and this was the first time I felt like I was pushing the effort levels above where they should be - but it was all or nothing now. I don'think I was in a group here, but I could recognise the t-shirts or singlets of the people around me and knew if I just kept it together I'd be on for a large PB. I could see the guy with the green singlet a bit ahead and tired to just maintain the distance between us. Again I don't remember much about these last few miles other than I was getting warmer. I'd also figured out I was on for a at least a sub 1:28 even if I dropped down to 7min/mile, which I was tempted to do. I was definitely still passing people here - just picking a target, closing in and passing an then easing off a bit again.
    Why is the last mile the hardest mile? ;)
    No more passing, getting passed or mental gymnastics. I was dying to get finished. The last mile is tough and as you turn the corner to run the last half mile to the finish, the little drop in the road that gained you a few seconds at the start seems like a mountain. I lost a few seconds here, but pushed on. It's a bit mad when your dying on your feet to run at a pace that 3 or 4 miles ago was comfortably hard. I'd lost sight of the green singlet guy, but saw him again as we approached the turn to the finish line and the gap was closing. I was knackered and had used him as sort of an unnofficial pacer for a bit, so was debating briefly whether to just follow him in or to empty the tank. Then I heard someone shout my name (sounded like an boardsie kind of voice to me) and then head the announcer call out my name, and I got a mad rush of blood to the head and thought to myself "f#ck it, it's race" and "sprinted" to the finish, passing yer man just before the line.

Chip time: 1:26:37 Gun Time: 1:26:46
    Previous PB: Charleville 2016 - 1:31:53

You know when you have a bad race and you can't figure out what went wrong? Well this is like that, only the opposite!! I have no idea where that performance today came from. I certainly wasn't expecting it (I thought I might just break 1:30 if I was lucky). I'll certainly take it and not question it too much.
    I also hit the 10k mark in 40:24 according to Strava (PB is 41:28) and 10 miles in 1:05:41 (PB 1:08:53). So not a bad days work.

What does this mean for my marathon goal. My goal is 3:15. McMillan gives me something crazy like 3:03. Should I have a cut off 3:10?

Excellent report and serious well done on superb running. Massive damage (collateral to the other distances too) on your previous pbs. Bodes very well for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That is some PB, brilliant result and great racing today. Enjoyed reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

HBS, congrats on a great run yesterday. Should you rethink the M goal? It kinda looks that way, but first see how the next two or three big workouts go. What's left, 6 weeks? I take it you're not doing too much till next weekend.

It does sound like you could do 1.35x2 in Dublin, no? It's almost 9 minutes per Half slower than yesterday.

How many 20 or 20+ mile runs will you have done before Dub? You could take the 3.10 pace for a spin in a tough workout in a couple of weeks' time and see how it goes.

Congrats again.

Advertisement