Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still trying to figure it all out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Have a great race - hope it all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Best of luck HBS! Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Don't get me wrong, I see proper courses in gyms like Fitnessworx in Cork with real strength and conditioning stuff by people who know running. But in rural Ireland, it's hopeless.

Murph_D wrote:
    Good luck, Mark. Channel those Charleville thoughts!

Younganne wrote:
    All the very best for tomorrow. Have a great day.

jake1970 wrote:
    Best of luck tomorrow M, have a great race.

Have a great race - hope it all goes well.

El Caballo wrote:
    Best of luck HBS! Have a good one!

Cheers all. I'm fairly confident, but at the same time I'm absolutely brickin' it. Pre race nerves - never gets easier does it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The very best of luck tomorrow, hopefully you can do justice to the amount of work youve put in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck in the morning. Hope to maybe bump into you.

• Advertisement

3:09:13. Was on for a 3:08 or close to it but got a bad stitch which plagued me for miles 20-22 and the last 1.5 miles os so. Played cat and mouse with the 3:10 pacers for a few miles and was glad to catch them with 5k to go so I could stop thinking and just follow them home. Met a couple of boardsies on the way too. Currently on pint no 2 in McGrattans. But yeah - abso-fockin-lutely delighted. PB gone from 3:21:4x to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Excellent! Fair play chief, cracking run and result!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That is some improvement. Cracking time. Well done and enjoy the hard earned pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's some going, congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

3:09:13. Was on for a 3:08 or close to it but got a bad stitch which plagued me for miles 20-22 and the last 1.5 miles os so. Played cat and mouse with the 3:10 pacers for a few miles and was glad to catch them with 5k to go so I could stop thinking and just follow them home. Met a couple of boardsies on the way too. Currently on pint no 2 in McGrattans. But yeah - abso-fockin-lutely delighted. PB gone from 3:21:4x to this.
    Cracking run man.Huge chunk of the previous,well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Some going there M, brilliant run and well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Simply awesome, and that’s not a word I use lightly. Well done, M. So glad the taper madness produced a terrific result in the end! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Fantastic result!! Well done indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Fab stuff M. Relish it :)

Thanks everyone. Will catch up properly with everyones logs in a few days when I'm back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice one, that's a massive chunk to take off your pb. Whisper it softly, but sub3 might not be too far around the corner. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Massive well done on that. Excellent pacing and you gave yourself the maximum opportunity to get the best possible outcome. Also it's great to finish knowing there's more to come. That'll motivate you for the next training cycle.
    As someone who wrestled with sub 3:10 for a few years I was very interested in your race yesterday and I'm delighted you nailed it. I got to McGrattans a bit late yesterday and enquired after you but Annie, Singer, Aero or Marty didn't know you, maybe you had left by then. Catch you next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats M, mighty result. delighted for you.

Nice one, that's a massive chunk to take off your pb. Whisper it softly, but sub3 might not be too far around the corner. Well done.

Shhh....*cough*...Frankfurt 2018....*cough*

snailsong wrote:
    Massive well done on that. Excellent pacing and you gave yourself the maximum opportunity to get the best possible outcome. Also it's great to finish knowing there's more to come. That'll motivate you for the next training cycle. As someone who wrestled with sub 3:10 for a few years I was very interested in your race yesterday and I'm delighted you nailed it. I got to McGrattans a bit late yesterday and enquired after you but Annie, Singer, Aero or Marty didn't know you, maybe you had left by then. Catch you next time.

Thanks very much. I was in there alright with the family, but left after a feed and a couple of pints. To be honest, I was so wrecked I wasn't doing much talking!

Younganne wrote:
    Congrats M, mighty result. delighted for you.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Delighted for you Mark. It all paid off. Now that will give you something to work off ðŸ˜႒. Enjoy your win first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great result HBS, delighted for you & all the great training you put in. Enjoy your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great result M well done. I missed a lot of boardies in mc grattans was still out on the bike for some of the 4.30/4.40’s great day’s work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Fantastic result M, looking forward to reading all about it.

denis b wrote: »
    Delighted for you Mark. It all paid off. Now that will give you something to work off ðŸ˜႒. Enjoy your win first.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Great result HBS, delighted for you & all the great training you put in. Enjoy your recovery.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great result M well done. I missed a lot of boardies in mc grattans was still out on the bike for some of the 4.30/4.40’s great day’s work for you.
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Fantastic result M, looking forward to reading all about it.

Thanks all. Much appreciated

Sunday 29/10

DCM 2017 - Chip time 3:09:13

Kinetica cola gel at miles 6, 10, 14, 18, 21ish??
    Water at each stop except the last I think.

I'll do the best I can with this race report, but my memory of a lot of this event is very hazy to be honest. I didn't take in an awful lot of what was happening around me and basically had tunnel vision - looking forward and moving forward - focussed on the task at hand I suppose.

I was very nervous on the morning of the race - to the point where I was shaking a bit in the hotel room before leaving. The morning went to plan - a decent sleep, up at 6 for instant porridge and instant coffee, before taking my time getting ready. I was in town for around 8am, and was dropped as close as possible to the entrance. I couldn't see any marquee this year for changing like there was last year, so I got togged off by the side of the road like everyone else. Dropped the bag and headed for the Wave 1 start were I promptly joined the queue for the toilet. I had a bit of a wander about, did a few squats and picked my spot - then had to queue for the loo again, and couldn't get back to the same spot because it took so long to get in - I was a good bit behind the 3:10 pacers on the left hand side with the wheelchair athletes already gone. I wasn't too worried as I had planned a slow start and I was taking it easy through the park.

Miles 1-4

7:26; 7:08; 7:21; 7:08

I was across the line about 30 seconds or so and then a shuffle to the corner of Leeson Street - then stop - then off again, watching my step and being careful not to trip. There was no sign of the crowd thinning out, but I think I managed to find a bit of space on Kevin Street. I took it handy going up the small rise on Patrick Street, but then freewheeled down the hill onto the quays. I had to adjust my shorts slightly as we crossed the bridge and I lost a gel as it came flying out of my pocket. Stupidly I turned around with the intention of picking it up - sorry if I got in your way if you’re reading this - but when I saw the wall of humanity heading me way my brain fart cleared and off I went again. Dropped the pace again going up through Stoneybatter - I think I was able to go with the flow here. The effort was a bit high, but it was the same least year and I knew it wouldn’t cause too much damage. I took on a small bit of water here, just a sup and rinsed the mouth out. I always enjoy the slight Drop on the NCR as you enter the park, and was nice and relaxed running round the back of the zoo. So far, so good.

Mile 5-8

7:22; 7:16; 7:15; 6:53

Miles 5 and 6 up through the Phoenix Park - I was supposed to run these closer to 7:40 pace, but the effort felt right so I just stuck with it. I think I could see the 3:10 pacers a good bit ahead, but I wasn't worried about them drifting off. I took on more water here. I noticed a guy in an orange Star of Laune t shirt ahead and he same to be running at my pace so I followed him a bit - then I struck me that I recognised him from photos one here - it was TFBubendorfer. I hadn't said hello in Cork so I pulled up alongside him, said hi and we had a bit of a chat. As we approached the Castleknock gates he asked me how I was feeling, which I hadn't thought about until then - to which I replied good. Realising that, couple with the relief at the reaching Castleknock with no issues spurred me on a bit so I pulled away (without saying goodbye - sorry) and off I went on my own again. I took my first gel here (kinetica cola). I passed 10k in 45.28 (position 1523) - about 45 seconds ahead of my plan. I was feeling good, the nerves (which had lasted until then) dissipated and I started to run more relaxed. The support in Castleknock was as good as ever and I was ready for my favourite part of the course. I just ran down the hill at what I felt was the proper effort, which still allowed some bit of recovery from the first 7 miles. I don’t really remember the slight pull by Mount Sackville. I wasn't really paying attention to my paceband anymore - well the mile splits at least. I also had 5k splits and was mostly checking against them.

Mile 9-12

6:50; 6:55; 7:20; 6:57

Another mostly downhill mile and a half through the Furry Glen and tipping away slightly ahead of pace, and a good bit in parts, but again the effort felt right. I was flying as I came out of the park running up towards Chapelizod, but was going a bit too fast, so I adjusted my pace again. Mile 11 starts with a slight drag before the Hill at Saint Laurence Road, and I could feel the effort creeping up a bit here and had to be mindful not to push too hard before hitting the steep section. I adjusted my stride, used my arms and just didn't push hard at all going up the hill with the instant pace reading in the low 8's here. More rousing support at Kilmainham drove me on and, like last year, I sort of took off around the corner way too fast, before easing up a bit going onto the SCR. I think I finally caught up with the pacers just before the 13 mile marker - just in time for the long drag ahead. Plus I got to 12 miles without blowing up, like in Cork - so another hoodoo banished.

Mile 13-18

7:05; 7:17; 7:08; 6:59; 6:58; 6:58

It's all a bit of a blur from here being honest and I'm relying on Strava Flybys and vague memories. So I had caught the pace group and I think I just stuck with them for a couple of miles along the exposed bits through Crumlin and Walkinstown. Passed halfway in 1:34:26 (goal was 1:35:42), again feeling good, but also feeling the need for pitstop (not urgent yet) so was happy to have banked some time. Am I right in thinking it started to warm up a bit here? I was starting to feel the effort, but just in time I reckoned. Once I hit the Walkinstown roundabout I knew I could up the effort a bit. The doubts started to creep in a small bit here - could I run 10 more miles at this pace? I focussed and relaxed and was just mindful of the effort. I pulled just ahead of the pacers as we hit Fortfield Road (I think). I thought I was a nice bit ahead, but Strava tells me I put in a good bit of effort to only gain 20 seconds over two miles - so was it worth it? Perhaps if I could have maintained it, then maybe. Somewhere around mile 16 I started to feel a flicker of strain in my left hamstring, which I was worried was the onset set of cramp, so I decided on no heroics and just keep it steady. I think mile 17 was a bit shaded again. I love the section down past Bushy Park and through Terenure - I got a good boost from it again. I was feeling tired, but also that I was running strong and within my capabilities, so I kept it up.

Mile 19-22

7:16; 6:58; 7:45; 7:52

I nipped into a portaloo on Orwell Road for a quick jimmy riddle, which accounts for mile 19. I was noticing the hamstring more and changed up my stride a bit, which seemed to help. I knew I was at the business end of things and it was time to dig in and get ready for the hills ahead. The effort levels running down Milltown Road were higher than last year - it was hotter and I was feeling more tired. My feet were starting to hurt and my form was starting to suffer a bit. Towards the end of mile 20 I could feel a stitch coming on under my ribs on the right, and it was getting worse and worse. I slowed down and tried to stretch it. I stuck my fingers in and breathed deeply and got some relief and continued on. Just after the 20 mile point I had to stop the pain was so bad. I had downed a bottle of water in maybe 2 gulps at the last water station, and I remember it being really cold - I think this was the cause. I stretched it out and got good relief and started off again. I had to do this 3 more times during this mile. I can't remember exactly at which of these stops this happened - but megager from these parts pulled up alongside me as I was struggling with a 3:10 pacer and helped me along, encouraging me, and so did the pacer. He gave me a bottle of water he'd been carrying and told me to sip it as we went along. It was a bit warm because he had it in his hand a bit, but it really worked and the stitch eventually faded. However, despite all the encouragement, I couldn't keep up. I drifted out the back of the group on Clonskeagh Road and had to stop and walk and stretch it out again. I got more water somewhere and started sipping again. My head was in turmoil, I couldn't do the maths, but was settling for my B or C goals (which still would have been massive PBs), but I was upset to fail again. With Roebuck Road to come I did not need this. The stitch had settled by Roebuck road though, and I took the hill handy enough - maybe a reprieve was on the cards?

Mile 23-26.2

7:09; 7:04; 7:16; 7:16; 2:24 (0.35@6:36)

I slow right down the climb the steepest part of Heartbreak Hill. The hill is crested and I feel ok (stitch wise) again - but everything else hurts. Hamstring is twitching, the ball of my right foot is burning, I'm breathing heavily, but it's time to push on. I hit a hard pace that's not eye popping and the mantra "keep it steady, keep it steady - 5k to go". I hit the Stillorgan Road and I can see the pacer balloons just up ahead. I'm determined to reel them in over the next mile or so. As we reach the flyover, I remember Wubble Wubble saying that it wasn't a hill up to the bridge, so I didn't slow down. It's talking all my concentration to keep going. I finally get within spitting distance of the pacers as we come down the ramp and am determined now to stick with the m until the end, but the wind along here is cruel and the effort levels are very high. There was respite from the wind as we turned onto Nutley Lane and I drew level with the pacers on Merrion Road - I'd clawed back almost a 30 - 40 second gap. Somewhere around here - just before the bridge I think - one of the pacers (I think dublin_runner?) said something about it being only 10 more laps of the track or something - so more inspiration. I pulled ahead again a bit - but not much really as the videos would show. I could hear people shouting "the balloons are just behind you" which spurred me on, but at mile 25 or so the stitch returned. But I wasn't stopping. I stuck my fingers under my ribs which helped, but not much. I just gritted my teeth and ran through the pain, hunched over a small bit a think. The last 8 miles were very tough, but the last too were torture. I may have had my eyes closed in places. I didn't look around, just straight ahead. I saw a Watergrasshill runner ahead that I knew and focused on his singlet. Keeping it steady, keep moving forward, it's nearly over. Then I saw the finish line ahead and the blue carpet and the clock counting up to 3:10 - would I make, could I make it? The pacers had caught me again. It was time to empty the tank to run the last 400m or so at 10k pace, and a sprint finish on the carpet. No arms aloft in victory, just a grimace of pain. I doubled over and moved to the side where I empty reached and coughed for a minute or so. I caught up with TFB in the finish area again, but I’m not sure if I made sense, because I was in a daze. A quick shower in Flyefit - where I met megager again - and off to McGrattans where the family had a pint a food waiting for me. All I met were FBOT01 and Ferris_B, before heading off to the airport - but being honest I was mentally and physically drained, and wasn't really able for much chat.

So that's it - events may not have occurred exactly in the order they are written, but as I said, it was a bit of a blur for large parts.

So the aftermath - a large blister on the sole of my right foot and a large blood blister on my middle toe. Aches and pains everywhere for a couple of days, but no lasting damage. I don't think the stitch was a result of me running too fast - more a combination of recent digestive trouble and gulping cold water. I think it cost me a minute. But I'm over the moon with my performance, especially with the fact that I didn't lose the head when things got tough as I have done before.

I've done no running, but spent 2 days walking around Edinburgh, which I think has aided recovery. A sub 3 effort is on the cards for sure next year, but maybe not in Dublin.
    Official splits (position):
    10k: 45:28 (1523)
    13.1: 1:34:26 (1307)
    30k: 2:13:54 (1092)
    Gun time: 3:09:45 (870)
    Chip Time: 30:09:13 (858)
    Gender position: 823
    Category M40: 229

Marathon progression:
    Cork 2015: 3:49:29
    Dublin 2015: 3:38:39
    Dublin 2016: 3:21:45
    Cork 2017: 3:29:24
    Dublin 2017: 3:09:13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great race report, well done on a fantastic race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Excellently done HBS , I've read loads of your log , your training is top notch , racing is top notch and marathon progression is seriously impressive your knocking large chunks off your times , loads more to come I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Gutsy race and a savage time. Well deserved after all the training, though I worry that you put yourself a bit too much stress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great report...and a great race. Fair play. Just rewards for the training you put in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Super stuff, great consistent improvement, sub 3 definitely doable in the next cycle or two.

If I was to give you any advise it would be to ensure that you recover properly.

TbL

Advertisement