Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still trying to figure it all out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah - putting two and two together, think we were introduced by FBOT before the race? Well done, you ran the time I was looking for! Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah - putting two and two together, think we were introduced by FBOT before the race? Well done, you ran the time I was looking for! Congrats.

Cheers. I knew it was FerrisB and one other but for the life of me I couldn't remember! I think I ended up standing just behind the two of ye at the start. Nice to meet ye. What did you think of the day overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cheers. I knew it was FerrisB and one other but for the life of me I couldn't remember! I think I ended up standing just behind the two of ye at the start. Nice to meet ye. What did you think of the day overall?

My report sums up my own day, but the race itself seemed impeccably organised!

Monday 13/3

Recovery:5@9:43 on grass

Tuesday 14/3

2x4@MP with 0.5 mile recovery

Moved Wednesday's session to today because of work. It was probably a bit soon since Ballycotton to be doing this, but I wanted to get it out of the way as such. I was hot and MP felt a lot harder than it had done in previous weeks. I almost considered binning it after the first rep, but decided to just start the 2nd and see how I got on. I got caught for breath during the 3rd mile of the second rep and had to stop for a few seconds, but I finished it out. I got another stitch during the cool down. First rep: Was fairly windy for the first 2 miles and had the wind at my back for the 2nd 2. 2nd rep: Took a different route with more shelter and mostly crosswinds

Splits:

w/up: 2 miles: 8:21; 8:34
    Rep 1: 7:28; 7:23; 7:21; 7:23 - miles 2,3 and 4 too fast
    Recovery: Slow jog up and down for about 0.5 miles, took on water (about 5 mins)
    Rep 2: 7:27; 7:25; 7:30; 7:24
    c/down: 1.5 miles: 9:22 0.5@9:04

Daily total: 12 miles

PMP is about 7:27 - and when I ran closer to this pace it felt ok, but I kept drifting down towards 7:20 and the difference was apparent in terms of effort. The heat (about 16-18 deg) was something I wasn't used to but I'm happy enough with the session given the conditions and the race at the weekend.

Wednesday 15/3
    Recovery: 5.2@9:22; 129bpm average/142 max (hill)

My FR235 has been churning out junk HR data lately, and my strap needs a battery, but I found my old Mio Link wrist OHRM and charger. While not as good as the strap, it certainly out performs the FR235 (well the latest software version anyway), which is a bit annoying considering Garmin used the Mio Sensor on the FR225 and then switched to there own sensor for the 235. Anyway, I'm glad to have a somewhat accurate HR back especially for these recovery runs.

I'm going to try and get the long run done on Friday morning or else I'm face with doing it on Sunday night after night shifts.

Thursday 16/3
    Overslept - no running

Friday 17/3

Long run - 18 miles@8:26. Felt easy enough (not too easy, not too hard). Went from the City (northside) through Blackpool to Blarney and on to Tower and back. A few small hills and a nice bit of flat on the middle. Enjoyed this

Saturday 18/3

6.3 easy/very easy@8:50 - just the usual trot around before work in between nightshifts.

I'm looking to go out tomorrow as well, but it's starting to look like I may not have the opportunity. If not I'll be dissappointed with my weekly mileage of 46.7 miles. I'd been hoping to push into the mid 50s. But I had a decent session and a decent long run. Everything else has been recovery or very easy. I'll have to get seriously stuck in next week -11 weeks until CCM and I'm starting to feel like I'm not doing enough.

• Advertisement

Sunday 19/3

I was bit stuck for time today. I got up early after nights (midday) and did 5.2@8:13 before heading out for the afternoon with the family. Hip was a bit sore and tight so I did a small bit of foam rolling before bed

Monday 20/3

A lazy morning - a bit of a lie in and so on. I had planned on getting out and doing 8 to 10 miles with some strides. The hip felt a lot better. I reached behind me when sitting down to pick something up and when I sat back up I felt a pinch in my neck and shoulder, followed by a muscle spasm which just would not ease. I've put every cream and ointment in the house on it am currently sitting with a heat pack on. This is an old pre running injury and I do get the odd flare up, but I could literally feel the muscle tightening as i just sat there doing nothing. I had a few stretches which I did and it eased somewhat. At one stage it felt ok and I had half a notion of getting out for a short run. A quick jog up and down the hall put paid to that notion as I could fell the pain with every step and the whole thing just spasmed again. Physio is booked for tomorrow and hopefully I'll get out tomorrow evening if she can sort it. This should right itself within a couple days, but I'm just a bit annoyed because I felt I was building up some decent momentum, training wise. I hope this doesn't cause me to miss too many days. If it does, then I might have to rethink things a bit. I have an easier week next week with a 10k race on the Sunday, but if I miss this weeks session and long run I might skip the race in favour of training. We'll see how it goes.

Tuesday 21/3

The heat/stretches/tiger balm etc. had eased out the shoulder somewhat and I had gotten back a got bit of motion. Headed to a local 1 mile loop for a test run and got 6.2@8:27 done. Went to the physio in the afternoon and got some deep tissue work and needling. She reckons it was originating of the facet joints in my neck. It felt sore but a lot looser after treatment

Wednesday 22/3

Shoulder/neck was now just sore and a small bit stiff so I headed out for the midweek session after the snow had gone.

12 mile with 8 miles alternating around MP. MP is around 7:27 so the ranges were 7:47-7:57 and 6:57-7:07. I headed out to the Lee Fields and did my warmup into the cold wind for 2 miles then turned around for the 1st rep. When I finished the first rep I couldn't face turning around into the wind again so I kept going down to the Mardyke track and finished off the session there. The fast miles were a bit fast on the track, but I was going by the Garmin. I ran in lane 7 because lane 1 was in use (Olympic race walker!). So I was being lapped by a legend in lane 1, but there was this really old guy walking slow laps in lane 8 in the opposite direction - quite the juxtaposition (that's the right word isn't it?).

Splits: 8:32; 8:27; 7:48; 7:00; 7:47; 6:43; 7:47; 6:48; 7:51; 6:49; 8:25; 8:28

I was pretty tired after this but I felt able for the paces. I'm just wondering now if I got the desired effect from the session. Anyway I was glad to get it done.

Thursday 23/3

A.M. pre work recovery - 5.0@9:31

Friday 24/3

A.M. pre work - 7.2 easy with 6x100m strides - 8:22; 8:26; 8:39; 8:19; 8:04; 7:45 (strides); 8:27; 0.2@8:12

Legs felt a bit heavy for this, but it was early. I probably still had some of Wednesdays session in my legs. I ran the strides fairly hard too - probably a bit too hard. Lovely morning for it though - still nice and cool when I went out. Basically, I felt knackered for most of this run, but great afterwards. You gotta love them endorphins.

Saturday 25/3

Long run - 20 miles@8:27

The first 20 miler of the plan, and it had to be done today. I headed out a bit late (around 11:30). Felt pretty good, but faded a lot towards the end- the last 3 miles maybe. I took in a good bit of the CCM course again - the bit form around 16 to 22 miles is tough enough alright. It got very warm, and I had left myself with a large hill to climb for the last mile - needless to say I fell apart. I lost a bit of momentum running through town aswell - the traffic lights weren't with me today. Another long run without gels though, and the longest I've ever run without nutrition. I seem to be ok until around 2:15, the can push through until about 2:30 and then it becomes increasingly difficult after that. I suppose the answer is run a bit slower, but I'm starting to think it's the time on my feet is the rate limiting step here. The next few long runs have "stuff" in them so I'll probably fall back on the gels for these. I need some practice anyway. We'll see.

Sunday 26/3

6.2@8:55 - not quite recovery, but not quite my current easy pace either. Just a lazy loop before work. Lovely sunshine until I hit Church Road heading back toward Ringaskiddy - the wind would skin ya! Felt nicely recovered from yesterdays effort and my legs felt great after this run.

56.7 miles for the week - which is the most I've run in a week ever.

I'm stepping back a bit next week because of the UCC 10k on Sunday. I'm still not sure how I'm getting on with this plan, but it's keeping me occupied and out of trouble and that's always a good thing ;).

Monday 27/3

What a gorgeous day. I went out about 4:40pm or so, having gotten up around 1 after nights and just did a local 5 mile loop- It's a bit on the hilly side, but the weather was so good I did it twice. 10 hillyish miles @ 8:13.

Rolling 7 day total: 66.8 miles

Tuesday 28/3

This is sort of my Saturday and thanks my wonderful mrs I had a bit of a lie in. Consequently though I found myself stuck for time. I had planned for 6 miles and some strides but there wasn't time so I did an easy 5k or so. When I got back to the house I looked back up the road and decided I'd been wasting the hill outside my front door so did 7x12-13s hill sprint and jogged back. It was still a bit of wasted opportunity though because the teenagers were in school so there was no one there to mortify!! Physio after lunch - neck and shoulder are way better, but I still got a bit of needling. Legs are in good nick too by all accounts, but I still needed the obligatory (by now) needles into the right TFL. Felt a bit sore afterwards, it was raining, I had to call into the sister yada yada...anyway I had planned on another easy 5k for a handy double day but I binned it in favour of the match.

Rolling 7 day total: 64.3 miles

Wednesday 29/3

The plan had 8 miles with 4@HMP today and 14 on Sunday. I'm doing the UCC 10k on Sunday so I was deliberating what to do so I just let the magic 8 ball that is the Random Running Questions thread decide. Headed out at around 4pm for 14@8:18 - Silversprings to just past Grandons in Glanmire and back and then two loops of past the train Station and Horgans Quay and then back to Silversprings. Windy and heavy drizzle - that tricky kind of rain that soaks you by looking at it and the sort of wind that always seems to be in your face. Clipped the footpath with my toe the second time going up Water Street and when my other foot came down, the green slimy crap on the path behaved like a sheet of ice and I did a most impressive tumble. No damage other than to my pride, although I landed on the spot where I got needled yesterday so ouch. And despite the description I enjoyed this. It was a bit strange though - I actually though about jacking it in after 8 miles but I keep going and just got a second wind or something and kept going. I've found I generally prefer to do the longer stuff in the morning but I had a few bits and pieces on today so maybe thats why I felt tired early on. At the end I felt like I could have kept going for another few miles.

Rolling 7 day total: 66.3 miles

This rolling total - well, we all normally tick off our weekly mileage and then we reach some figure (like I did in my post above) and say that thats the most miles we've ever run in a week. No one ever seems to talk about that, but maybe it's a better way of measuring volume. Who knows. I'm going to include in my log for the time being until I forget too, or decide it's of no benefit. It's another stat and who doesn't love stats?

Thursday 30/3

5 recovery@9:36. It rained and I was tired.

Rolling 7 day total: 66.4 miles

Friday 31/3

First day of work and I opted to take a rest day, which I sort of regretted afterwards - it was a nice enough morning and I just felt stiff and tetchy for the day

Rolling 7 day total: 59.1 miles

Saturday 01/04

4 easy with some random strides in the 3rd mile (8:44; 8:43; 7:35; 8:49). A sluggish early morning run after a poor nights sleep. Tried some strides of the 4 lamposts/count to 20 variety to try and wake up a bit in mile 3 but nah. I had debated between doing the usual 6 or just doing a 3 mile shakeout and settled for in between the two - which satisfied neither my desire for mileage or my need to loosen out before the race tomorrow. Ended up being a bit of a nothing run in the end. Meh.

Rolling 7 day total: 43.2 miles (see how quickly it drops!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

"Enjoy" the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Good luck in the 10k today!!

Thanks lads. New PB - 41:36 according to Garmin, official results not out yet but will probably add a couple of seconds. First PB of 2017. I'll do a report later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Nice one :) congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done HBS, great to see some results from one of the hardest working runners on A/R.

Sunday 02/04

Race - BHAA UCC 10k

Race day arrives.

I ran this race last year and felt I could have done better. All the same my approach to this years event was going to pretty much the same as last year - so maybe I just don't learn??
    I was up a bit later than expected, which was good in a way because it meant I wasn't hanging around for ages waiting. I had a quick coffee and (in a change from the usual porridge) a slice of toast before heading out to UCC. My guts weren't feeling great, but that was probably from the Papa Johns pizza I ate late last night (I was starving when I got from work, the young lad was getting one, would have been rude not too :) )
    The weather was perfect - nice and sunny, but not too warm yet, with just a hint of cooling breeze, which I think was coming in across the course, so no real benefit or hindrance, but was a bit cooling by the end

Registration was a short walk from the car park - plenty of signs and marshalls around so everything was easy to find. I had a quick chat with some work mates and headed off for a brief warm up around the Western Road and the Mardyke. After a quick pit stop in the Mardyke gym, I did a few laps of the track with a couple of easy strides and headed off to the start. A few mocky-ah stretches and a bit of chat and we were off.

Mile 1 - 6:35

I started back a bit, not too far though, so it was a small bit congested for the first 200m or so, but by the time we got out onto Wellington Bridge it had opened up. I heard two lads saying they were going for 42 minutes so I decided to just stick around by them for a bit and see how it went. There was a small bit of a sharp rise as we passed the old waterworks, but we got it back on the other side. I'd settled into a pace, which felt hard but not too hard - I was actually banking a few seconds because I knew mile 3 was a tough one with hills

Mile 2 - 6:39

I dropped the guys I'd been following in mile 1 and moved onto another group. I was working a bit harder now. This part of the course has a bit of a small fall off and then a drag and then a short hill at the end. I maintained a steady effort until we reached the hill, and then put a bit of effort going up the hill - I had closed the gap to a diffeernt group here I think, and passed a few on the hill.

Mile 3 - 7:07

This is the toughest mile of the course. It starts off downhill, but then there's a hill about 400m long, with the last 200m around 9% gradient. I knew I'd leak time here - I think the instantaneous pace on my watch showed about 8:40 for the steepest part. I passed a good few on the less steep part and when the steep part hit I had decided to just push the hill, but without absolutely hammering myself (which I think turned out to be a good strategy in the end). As we crested the hill I was able to start following another group who were a bit ahead. I found it hard to pick up the pace as it was mostly flat here and I hadn't had too much of chance to recover from the climb.

Mile 4 - 6:44

Mile 4 starts with a big steep downhill, so I opened up the legs and took off. I passed a few down the hill and closed the gap on the group ahead. I'm actually surprised the pace for this wasn't faster - the downhill had allowed me to recover from the climb, but after that the road rose and dropped and twisted a bit, and I had a bit of coughing fit! I slowed crossing the humpback bridge, and it was a bit congested turning onto the straight road - we had to go on the path and there was only room for one at a time. The little group had broken up and I found myself in no mans land between too groups and I was beginning to tire. I think it was towards the end of this mile were I was passed by one or two. I could see the remnants of the group ahead and decided to just try and maintain the gap if I could for now.

Mile 5 - 6:35

This mile was mostly spent by my failing to do simple maths to figure out if I was still on for a PB. I was on the Straight Road, familiar territory - dead straight and almost dead flat - where I've done manys the session. I was concentration hard trying to maintain a decent pace. I saw a female Barrs runner ahead and I decided to bridge the gap - it think I passed her by the end of this mile. Not much else to say really. If you know the Straight Road you'll know why - long straight and neverending.

Mile 6 - 6:45

This mile was a mental battle - still trying very hard to do easy sums (before saying f0ck it just run) and determined not to give into the auld central governor. The first half mile was ok, but the my pace dipped for about 400m into the 6:50 to 7:00 range - my head was saying it's fine, no PB but a good performance. I was staring to feel a bit nauseous too (damn you Papa Johns and your delicious Pizza Sauce). I was determined not to give in as I had done in races lately, and I also reminded myself that, as a BHAA race, this was a team event too. SO I stopped listening to myself. With about half a mile to go I pulled the finger out and pushed for home. When I hit the 6 mile marker my watch was reading 40:2x minutes. I was in pain now, I felt like Iwas going to throw up, and had been in the redzone for quite a few minutes. I couldn't remember how long it would take to run the extra 400 or so metres so I just pegged it

The last bit - 1:10@6:13 pace

I just ran. I didn't pass anyone or get passed. This hurt, but it was good!! With about 60m or so I could finally read the clock - I saw 41:something and just pushed to get across the line before it turned. I stopped my watch and immediately empty reached. When I saw 41:36 I was thrilled. That's a PB of 37s and on a hillier course. 49s faster than last year in the same race, in the middle of marathon training.

The numbers bit

Strava has 6.1 miles in 41:37. Garmin has 6.19 miles in 41:36 - so Strava is doing that stupid rounding thing it does. I ran a good enough line. I didn't cut any corners (I don't thinks so anyway) but my GPS track shows me running a few feet to the left for about the last 3 miles - through fields/trees etc so maybe its that.
    Official results have me as 41:28?? I have no idea what that's about because it wasn't chip timed so maybe I stopped the watch late or something. So I'll take it that 41:28 is my new PB then.

Final thoughts

Yes, this really is the end, I swear. I'm very happy with the result, considering I'm doing no speedwork or anything at all 10k specific and considering it's not the flattest course. I think I raced well for the first time in ages - I wasn't just chasing a time, but I was trying to pass people, catch groups etc. which is something I hadn't been doing for a while. I also think I paced it properly for once which meant I didn't blow up for once. And McMillan gives me around a 3:15 marathon for this, which is what I'm training for, so happy days.
    A great race, well done to all in UCC Staff AC. Oh, and hot chicken goujons afterwards too!! Not bad for €5.

Ninja Edit

Total for the day: 9.2 miles
    Weekly total/Rolling 7 day total: 46.2
    YTD: 583.9

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Savage stuff! A proper case of you get back what you put into it. Might try the Papa Johns approach myself next time round :-)

But what are mocky-ah stretches and should I do them!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nicely done. Enjoyed the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done hbs, a well executed race.
    There's nothing like a pb during marathon training to boost confidence.
    Augurs well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent stuff, congrats on the pb and giving it what sounds like maximum effort!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant, well done, a fine weekend all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on PB, good read, great confidence booster ahead of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

A 10k and a PB for a fiver? Bargain :)

Well raced!

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Nice one :) congrats

Cheers!
    tang1 wrote: »
    Well done HBS, great to see some results from one of the hardest working runners on A/R.

Thanks for the compliment. Wow!
    JohnDozer wrote: »
    Savage stuff! A proper case of you get back what you put into it. Might try the Papa Johns approach myself next time round :-)

But what are mocky-ah stretches and should I do them!?!?

They're like lettin' on stretches, only done in a Cork accent.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Nicely done. Enjoyed the report.

Merci!
    snailsong wrote: »
    Well done hbs, a well executed race.
    There's nothing like a pb during marathon training to boost confidence.
    Augurs well.

I certainly hope so. It's definitely given the auld mojo a boost after a few subpar results.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, congrats on the pb and giving it what sounds like maximum effort!!

Cheers-there's nothing like a finish line heave to let you know you've emptied the tank!
    Brilliant, well done, a fine weekend all round!

A good weekend indeed. I'll be doing a few miles in along the Mersey in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping for a similar display. ;)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done on PB, good read, great confidence booster ahead of Cork.

Absolutely - and it came just at the point where the doubt was starting to creep in a little bit.
    Singer wrote: »
    A 10k and a PB for a fiver? Bargain :)

Well raced!

Don't forget the hot chicken goujons. (I swear that wasn't the only reason I did this race. Honest).

What can I say. Thanks everyone. I think 10k's might be my new favourite. A big thanks to the UCC crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on a hard earned PB.

Monday 3/4

Recovery Easy run. Should probably have done a recovery run, but everything felt good - did 7.3@8:16 in the evening before work. Very little sleep though. I'd a night shift to do after the race, and only got about 4 hours sleep today. It was a nice evening and an enjoyable run.

Rolling 7 day total: 43.4 miles

Tuesday 4/4

In bed for 8:30am and up again at 12:30. Still managed 7 miles total around the local hillyish loop (hilly for me anyway) - 5.7 on the loop and finished off with 8x15s hills, jog back down recovery - the hill outside the front door again. Splits - 8:14,8:30,8:30,8:33,8:08, then 0.7 miles @8:07, 8xhills and 400m cool down for OCD Garmin rounding purposes.

Rolling 7 day total: 46.7 miles

Wednesday 5/4

I'm working days Saturday and Sunday so I needed to get the long run done midweek. I switched up the distance from Sunday to Wednesday - but I did the Wednesday session with a longer warmup and cool down. The session was 4-3-2-1 miles @MP with 3 minutes recovery (14 miles on the plan, I did 18). I took a couple of extra hours in bed this morning and headed out around lunch time. I went out the Lee Fields/Straight Road for this. I ended up doing a lot of the MP miles a but fast - I think the wind put me off. I'd put effort into maintaining pace when I was running into the wind, but when the wind was at my back then I didn't slow down enough. Took a gel after the first 4 mile section and after the 2 mile section. I drank 250mls water with them. I also took a couple of Salt stick fast chews to see if they still agreed with me, which they did. All in all, I felt it was a good session. I wasn't really keeping an eye on the total miles until the end, so it didn't feel like an normal long run. Felt ok after the 4 miles, but each rep got tougher. I was fairly tired doing the last mile, but not so much that I felt I couldn't have done another one if I had too.

MP is around 7:26

Splits:
    Warmup: 8:24; 8;35; 8:21; 8:29
    4@MP: 7:24; 7:22; 7:26; 7:20
    3@MP: 7:22; 7:22; 7:21
    2@MP: 7:24; 7:21
    1@MP: 7:22
    Cool down: 8:18; 8:16; 8:16
    Recoveries were 3 minutes at recovery pace (around 9-9:50ish) - added up to about a mile in total.

Total:18 miles

I just seemed to drift towards the faster pace and settle into a rhythm which was hard to shake- but it did feel just a bit too hard for MP for some of the faster miles.

Rolling 7 day total: 50.7 miles

Thursday 6/4

5.1 recovery@9:35. Plod around the ferry terminal before work (a.m.). Tired enough doing this form yesterday, but felt I was recovering nicely. Was absolutely starving all day though, even after eating rings around myself yesterday evening.

Rolling 7 day total: 50.8 miles

Not much to add, but I'm in work and procrastinating and this will definitely kill a few minutes

Friday 07/04

Woke up feeling pretty crap. I'd been getting increasingly congested, but it's not something I'd worry about normally due having hayfever/allergy type symptoms fairly often. Yeah, it can be annoying, but your not sick so you deal with. Actually going for a run usually clears things out. When I woke up this morning though I felt the familiar dry scratchy throat and a bit of a pain in my chest, meaning the congestion had moved in the night. This generally means I feel like rubbish until around lunchtime, at which stage I decided to put the gear on and test things out. Managed 10 miles@8:24, with a bit of a climb out of town (around 2 miles of mostly climbing). The effort felt harder than normal, especially on the hill, but the lungs held out, and my HR wasn't really much higher than what it should be. I still ahd Wednesdau long run/session in the legs aswell. So I'm not "sick" - as in its not an infection, but if I don't get a handle on it may turn into one.

Rolling 7 day total: 60.8 miles

Saturday 08/04

I woke in time for run before work, but still felt rubbish so I binned it. As I type this I feel way better and could run if I wanted too but I'm stuck here until 8pm and I don't fancy going out his evening when I get home. Friday last week was my last rest day, so I'm taking another one. If I can't run in the morning before work tomorrow, I'll have to bite the bullet and go out in the evening instead, or just do a shorter run than planned.

Rolling 7 day miles: 56.8

I'm a bit p'ed off because this week and the next 3 are really crucial and I just can't afford to be sick right now. I've had to juggle things due to working weekends. I'm also away with the family the weekend after next and I'll probably not be able to getting everything I want done. Added to that is the fact that I'll have to do an extra day in work for the next few weeks, the kids are off school and Mrs HBS is working means I'm going to have to be very clever with my time and schedule if I want to get things done. If I can get the long runs done and most of the midweek sessions and maintain my mileage I should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

it can be bit over whelming trying plan forward, sometimes easier to take as it comes, you seem as you are in great shape, if you get 90% of your program done you should be good to go, wouldn't stress to much about missing odd run, resting
    Body is as important. Great going so far.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    it can be bit over whelming trying plan forward, sometimes easier to take as it comes, you seem as you are in great shape, if you get 90% of your program done you should be good to go, wouldn't stress to much about missing odd run, resting
    Body is as important. Great going so far.

Thanks Kennyg71. I was just having a bit of a moan - it appears I've been a bit too positive lately, and it wouldn't be marathon training block for me without a good old moan.

Anyway, as Saturday went on I felt like crap again, so no chance of even a sneaky 5k when I got home.

Sunday 9/4

I optimistically set my gear out to do a 14 mile session this morning (14 with 2x3 miles sections@MP). Ha!! I ignored the alarm, threw my gear into my bag and hacked my way into work. Again, felt better as the day went on and then a bit worse again. I the end I decided to just do an easy couple of miles to.......no I didn't, because that would have been sensible. I finished up about half an hour early and headed down to the harbour and ferry port on mission to either swear the sickness out of me or confirm that I was actually ill!

I decided on a shorter session - kind of. 10 miles with the middle 6 at MP staying close to work so I could bail if I felt like it. I finished out the run and to be honest the MP section was the best I felt all day. Goal pace is around 7:26, but it drifted down towards 7:20 again for a good bit - I just can't calibrate MP for some reason.

Splits:

Warmup - 2 miles: 8:32, 8:33
    6@MP(ish): 7:26; 7:23; 7:21; 7:20; 7:20; 7:24
    Cool down - 2 miles: 8:14; 8:46

Rolling 7 day total/Weekly total: 57.6

I had planned on 11 more miles and a extra day of running, bit it is what it is and I got a decent week of training in regardless. We'll see how next weeks goes, because I don't think tonights run cured me. I don;t care though, because I really enjoyed it and MP(+) didn't feel too hard, even with being under the weather. Onwards and upwards. Load of inspiration today from both Rotterdam and the GIR. Hard work pays off.

• Advertisement

Monday 10/4 - Wednesday 12/4

No running. Woke up early Monday in bits. Felt close to passing out. 2 days of fever and coughing and sleepless nights of shivering and waking up being unable to breathe properly. Bad chest and sinus infection. Still fell like crap today. It also appears to be making every niggle feel way sorer. Dosed up on antibiotics, steroids, inhalers and paracetamol. I'd say at least another couple of days before I can even think about going out. Although I felt that bad I didn't even care about running. Ah well. I won't know where I'm at until I can get back training, but this has pretty much wiped me out for now.

Advertisement