Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't go to sleep

Options
  • 25-04-2016 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

It's still me... :(
    The other problem that I have is that the PC does not go to sleep. It's a Win7 Home Edition PC.
    Until a few days ago it went to sleep after 4 hours of inactivity, then a shake of the mouse or a key pressed on the keyborad would wake it up.
    This strange thing started two or three days ago.
    The power options are to turn off the display after 10 minutes and put the computer to sleep after 4 hours. I also changed those settings in the attempt to modify this behaviour.
    In Advanced Power Options I went to Sleep and disabled the wake up timers, in Media Sharing I set "allow the computer to sleep".
    Anything else to check?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Did you install any remote access software or other software that is preventing the PC from going in to sleep mode? If a PC does not go in to sleep mode, it usually cos it thinks it has some reason to stay awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The only new thing I have installed is the printer, but I did it one or two day after this thing started, so I don't think the printer is the cause.
    The first time it didn't go to sleep was Thursday or Friday, I installed the printer Saturday.

I have noticed this thing right now.
    The monitor has turned off after 10 minutes. When I move the mouse to wake it up I hear a buzzing sound from the floppy drive of the PC. It's as it tries an access to a floppy disk for three or four times. No floppy disk in the drive, of course.
    Never happened before...
    Might it have anything to do with the fact that the PC doesn't go to sleep mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just how old is this PC?

ED E wrote: »
    Just how old is this PC?
    The hardware has a mixed age, because some parts have been replaced and updated. The last major update is of the end of 2009 (mother board Asus P5Q and CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz), the power supply is of last year (Cooler Master G750M), the SSD is almost new (Sandisk Ultra Plus 128 GB), the o.s. has been re-installed about one year ago.
    Apart from this sleep mode thing, all the rest is working fine.

The floppy disk drive attempts access to a non-existing disk every now and then. It has just didi it again right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I would check the mobo's chipset drivers, IIRC these would cover ACPI.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I would check the mobo's chipset drivers, IIRC these would cover ACPI.

I have found out that ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, but I can't find anything about IIRC :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Sorry, generalised net-acronym "if i remember correctly", nothing to do with your issue!

Advertisement