Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish-American Red Ale

Options
  • 25-04-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Am planning a celebration brew in honour of the latest addition to the family who is an Irish-American red(head) (m)ale. Was thinking of an Irish red recipe with an American hop twist. The family are in SF so big fans of california pale ales etc. Anyone got any good ideas?
    All grain btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Treadhead wrote: »
    Am planning a celebration brew in honour of the latest addition to the family who is an Irish-American red(head) (m)ale. Was thinking of an Irish red recipe with an American hop twist. The family are in SF so big fans of california pale ales etc. Anyone got any good ideas?
    All grain btw

It's probably going to end up more like an American Amber with the American hops added. I posted this recipe on another thread last week http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=145402 I made it recently and it turned out great. Might be close to what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Could use Irish malt (Minch malt is good) and American hops for half n'half representation! With a yeast like Safale 04 to round it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Aye, I'll be using Irish malt and roasted barley as per a proper Irish red. I'm keen to avoid taking the hops too far and just brewing an American amber by proxy.... Was tinking of using Fuggles or EKG as the bittering load and most of the IBU's, with just a little twist of someting a bit more piney for a bit of extra flavour close to the end, maybe even a wee dry hop to get a nose in there too.

If I had time for a test brew I'd try a couple of different routes wit hthe same grain bill and see what works best. But I don't, hence why I'm asking for ideas! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I did a red ale brew a few months back, it had a bit of melanoidin and crystal malt in addition to the pale malt and roasted barley. Something I was testing was only adding a late boil addition for aroma and no dry-hop which worked really well with the hops I used, Bramling Cross and Centennial. Not so much pine, more a fruity flavour and a fruity/floral aroma that work well in a red ale without pushing it into hoppy territory.

If I was to use just pale malt and roasted barley, I've scaled back the hop amounts to ~25 IBUs. A 15g/10g split instead of the 12g/8g will give you 30 IBUs.

12g Bramling Cross 7.3% AA First Wort Hop
    8g Centennial 11.1% AA First Wort Hop
    12g Bramling Cross 7.3% AA @ 15 min
    8g Centennial 11.1% AA @ 15 min
    21g Bramling Cross 7.3% AA @ 0 min
    14g Centennial 11.1% AA @ 0 min

EDIT: In fact I'd leave the 0 mins hops at the original amounts of 21 & 14g, no harm in that.

Advertisement