Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner's fitness watch

Options
  • 25-04-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I've just started to get into fitness. I'm now running 5k a few times a week, as well as swimming a couple of times a week, do the occasional bit of cycling. I've entered the ironmind triathlon in July and I'm looking to get myself a fitness watch. I just want something with the basics, distance, time and pace. A heart rate monitor would be nice also. I see the Garmin Fenix and 920 are good for triathlons but I don't want to spend so much in case I end up not liking it at all. I've been looking at the vivoactive. Would this be suitable? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

vivoactive HR would be a nice option, not as expensive as the 920, very small and neat, no need for a chest strap or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

My wife uses the vivoactiv. It's grand. Does the job. Swim not great on it, counts distance but always seems to get it wrong. Run screen has 3 sections so if you want to display pace, hr, distance and time you will need to set up 2 screens and have it swap between them. lots of people do this and have no problem, I just like having it all on one screen. She's never used the bike on it but again 3 things on one screen. It's a decent watch and if you get a good price on it it is probably worth it. It does look nice though and is an activity tracker too.

Would a garmin running watch, cat eye bike computer and a stop watch work for you? Depending on what price you could get the garmin vivoactiv this might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

What watch do you use yourself?

I was hoping to get one watch to do everything. I'd never remember to swap them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I use the 910xt, some decent deals pop up on them every now and again too. If it's your first race and your not sure if you will even like it I wouldn't get too hung up with garmins and computers.

If your coming from a running background you will probably keep that up if you don't like tri. Best bet would probably be a garmin running watch and a cheap computer for the bike that will cover distance and speed.You wouldn't really have to swap them over. Leave bike computer on the bike and then just grab the running watch when you get back in after leaving your bike back.

With a swimming watch, what will you use it for? On the day of the race you will have to swim the distance that's marked out, doesn't matter if it's short or long so in reality all you will need really will be time. Yes it's nice to look back at the gps and stroke count and see if you went wrong anywhere but for your first race will it make a difference?

A nice cheap enough bike computer like this

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/computers/cateye-velo-wireless-cycling-computer.html

will give you speed, distance and time. Combine that with a garmin running watch and you would be sorted.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-15-gps-watch-with-hrm/

Even if you did get into the sport you would have more than enough with the two of them to keep you going until you decided what multisport watch would suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

Thanks very much for that. It makes a lot of sense doing it that way. I'll go with that and if I like tri then I'll see about getting an all in one watch. Appreciate the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Advertisement