Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting new deer liscense renewal permit application

• 25-04-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭

Got a letter in the todays post with a harp on it! Usually a bad sign of its contents.The annual deer hunting renewal permit What was the usual deer renewal permit of one page has now burgeoned this year into a SEVEN page document.
    .Four of them being instructions on how to fill in the original document and when to get this in [Before Friday July 17th!!] Intresting thing is now we have an offical landowner permission form,and a location to go and get their folio numbers online.

MORE intresting and this will get danders up is that NPWS has now taken on itselves to stipulate LET SIZE!! As from thier document.

"Please be aware that 100 acres[42hectares] is the minimum amount of land required for a deer hunting liscense."

Correct me if I am wrong,but I cant see anything in the Wildlife acts or firearms acts that stipulate minimum land size for anything.
    This raises now intresting questions fore people with multiple small lets about an area and how did NPWS come to this conclusion?
    Is this now their response to the clusterfuk of last season?Throw more unnecessary paperwork at us??

Oh well,let the games begin again.
    Later.
    Just filling it out,and unless you can write in tiny writing the schedule bit is a joke! Name,address,phone number of landowner .All this is to be fitted into a box 3inches by a 1/2 inch.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭RossiFan08

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got a letter in the todays post with a harp on it! Usually a bad sign of its contents.The annual deer hunting renewal permit What was the usual deer renewal permit of one page has now burgeoned this year into a SEVEN page document.
    .Four of them being instructions on how to fill in the original document and when to get this in [Before Friday July 17th!!] Intresting thing is now we have an offical landowner permission form,and a location to go and get their folio numbers online.

MORE intresting and this will get danders up is that NPWS has now taken on itselves to stipulate LET SIZE!! As from thier document.

"Please be aware that 100 acres[42hectares] is the minimum amount of land required for a deer hunting liscense."

Correct me if I am wrong,but I cant see anything in the Wildlife acts or firearms acts that stipulate minimum land size for anything.
    This raises now intresting questions fore people with multiple small lets about an area and how did NPWS come to this conclusion?
    Is this now their response to the clusterfuk of last season?Throw more unnecessary paperwork at us??

Oh well,let the games begin again.

This is a very recent change. I just looked at the website and the license page has changed. In early April I downloaded and submitted the older version (one page) of the license without a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just Checked the web site and its saying the following :

Deer Hunting Licences 2016/2017 Season
    Applications for Deer Hunting Licences are considered under Section 29(1) of the Wildlife Act 1976 to 2012. Licences are issued on an annual basis from early August, but not before, as the licensing season does not start generally until 1st September.

If you held a licence for the 2015 – 2016 deer hunting season, you will receive a letter advising you to make an application for the new season which, if you require a new licence, should be made as soon as possible.

If you are a new applicant, you must complete the application form and have permission from a landowner(s) to hunt deer on land of at least 100 acres. The 2016 Deer Hunting Circular, application form, guidance note and landowner permission form can be downloaded or, alternatively, copies of the documents can be posted to you by contacting:

Wildlife Licensing Unit,
    National Parks and Wildlife Service,
    Department of Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht,
    7 Ely Place,
    Dublin 2, D02 TW98.

Tel: (01) 888 3275, or 888 3289, or 888 3298
    Email: wildlifelicence@ahg.gov.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Can we say" potential clusterfuk",boys and girls?? sounds like they havent updated the web page .:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

For the record, and considering the feck up last year, I've posted mine off this morning, so let's see how things go at the beginning of August ........................watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

Should be interesting to see/hear how many people with .22 cal rifles are refused where they were previously granted the license ie. will their recommendation of a .240 cal become a requirement for a license to be granted.

Also i never realised there was a minimum age to be granted a deer license, a quick glance at the wildlife act didnt show any age but can someone with more knowledge confirm this or point me in the right direction.

• Advertisement

The age thing has been there all along, I would presume it's tied into the legal requirements of age restrictions on firearms licensing. The training license is a relatively new thing so previously anyone under 16 wouldn't have legally been aloud use a firearm and therefore not legally obtain a deer hunting license.

Anyhow that's my interpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I had a thread a few years back (when I originally started deer shooting)about the NPWS denying me a licence on 80 acres...it was puking with deer but the NPWS wouldnt grant me a licence without 100acres... I got another 40 acre permission(with hardly a single deer on it) and that brought it to 120 acres and I got my licence. It made no sense at all,The NPWS are not a legislative body and cannot make laws up to suit themselves,no more than garda supers can .Where is it written in law I need 100 acres?
    Now I have more acres than I can count but it is made up of 40 acres here 20 there,usually all alongside each other as is the nature of landownership,small farms in Ireland ect ect .NPWS could do with spending there time catching and prosecuting poachers and clamping down on guys selling deer wholesale/en masse and making a living from it rather than making things hard on the honest hunter.Oh and maybe do their job and get licences out on time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

The age thing has been there all along, I would presume it's tied into the legal requirements of age restrictions on firearms licensing. The training license is a relatively new thing so previously anyone under 16 wouldn't have legally been aloud use a firearm and therefore not legally obtain a deer hunting license.

Anyhow that's my interpretation.

Thanks for that cookiemonster.

I know the training license is new but never knew that there was an age restriction on getting a deer license. I assume its a case where one law changes but others that are connected to it remain the same 13 vs 16 but maybe in the future it will be amended to have the same age restriction as firearms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have to ask, where is the age thing coming from. Forget what is on the form (not known for being 100% reliable) where is the legislation that says you must be 16. Is it the same legislation that says you need 100 acres?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/39/enacted/en/print

WILDLIFE ACT, 1976

Chapter IV section 28 sub section 2

Chapter IV

Restrictions to protect wildlife
    General restriction as regards hunting or killing with firearms certain exempted wild mammals and certain protected wild birds.

28.—(1) A person shall not with firearms hunt or kill on any land an exempted wild mammal or a protected wild bird of a species specified in an order under section 24 of this Act which is for the time being in force unless—

(2) A person shall in relation to land be qualified for the purposes of this section if he is at least sixteen years of age and—

• Advertisement

Had a look last night and never copped that, thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Does the ranger visit the land? Have deer on my farm and going to apply for deer licence and its 400 acres so 100 acre limit not a problem; but never shot deer on it before. Thanks

As a rule, yes.

Thanks Cass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

It seems like a move that will cause landowners concern when signing with the net result that less land owners will sign lads up and subsequently less higher powered c/f rifles will be licenced.
    I'm pissed off because I already had my land owners signed up. So do I need to go back to them and ask them to resign another frighteningly worded document that might have consequences if it's not 100%

How many farms have I seen where one or two of the fields had sporting rights attached to the duchess of mud or the Marcus's of orbs, Its a bit ott especially when one considers that the bloody licence is only valid for a year.
    It should really be for three years with a clause that allows them to revoke the licence if deer numbers became a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Zxthinger wrote: »
    ....It should really be for three years with a clause that allows them to revoke the licence if deer numbers became a concern.

Makes perfect sense, but please remember your in Ireland :rolleyes:

I was recently informed that the standard licence in the UK is 5-years (and hope thats accurate), with many shooters calling for it to be increased to 10-years and yet in Ireland, we get a 3-year licence.... go figure !

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Zxthinger wrote: »
    It seems like a move that will cause landowners concern when signing with the net result that less land owners will sign lads up and subsequently less higher powered c/f rifles will be licenced.
    I'm pissed off because I already had my land owners signed up. So do I need to go back to them and ask them to resign another frighteningly worded document that might have consequences if it's not 100%

How many farms have I seen where one or two of the fields had sporting rights attached to the duchess of mud or the Marcus's of orbs, Its a bit ott especially when one considers that the bloody licence is only valid for a year.
    It should really be for three years with a clause that allows them to revoke the licence if deer numbers became a concern.

I sent in the old type renewal just as this new type came to light. Had a phone call from them the other day that I forgot to fill in a small part of it so gave them the info needed and he said that's all fine I'll put it through. Suppose I'll have to wait till there sent

Sent mine off this morning.

there was an issue the last year or two with the folio numbers i've laways used (and gotten the license on) not being the "right" one. now right one being the one the NPWS get on land direct, and the one i submit as given to me by the land owner.

This year i used land direct and the folio numbers don't match. So i sent in the numbers fromland direct and a note to give the old numbers just to be safe.

Been told have to do rifle compentency course even though my land and had shotgun for years! Familiar with rifles so annoyed.

Advertisement