Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wix, Weebly or something else...?

Options
  • 25-04-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I want to take control of my website completely. Up to now, I've used hired designers.

So, I want to opt for a self-build, template setup.

Wordpress wouldn't be beyond me, but I simply don't want to put the time into getting to grips with it.

So, I'm currently looking at Wix and Weebly.

In terms of sheer numbers of users, Wix is the 800lb gorilla on the block, it seems. That has to be a recommendation in itself.

Any views on these? Or any other DIY options?

If it makes any difference I'm putting together a photography website.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

another potential one to add to your review list is godaddy.com

I've been using wix for a few years to create a website that I was too lazy to build. It's fine, I plan on playing around with godaddy but have not as yet. I believe that godaddy is very large in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the sword

Depends on what the website is (ecommerce, content managed), how much business you do on it or your expectations on it? Most hosts are cheap enough but for me it s all about the support, if the website goes sideways and you have nobody to sort it out for you then you re stuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

WordPress by a mile. There's so much that can be done with it and loads of support. I wouldn't touch wix with a bargepole and would opt for squarespace over weebly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

+1 on the Squarespace recommendations, if you want something hands-off and don't mind the ongoing costs it's the way to go.

WordPress if you want something infinitely flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you go down the Wix route you will be tied to them.

If you choose a self-hosted Wordpress solution you can switch hosting providers relatively easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I used weebly for a long time and liked it a lot, as someone with no real training in computers whatsoever. Probably wouldn't recommend it for a photography website though, the gallery tool wasn't top notch (if that's what you want to use).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Wordpress or Squarespace. Don't go near any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

An interesting comparison table here.......

http://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/website-builders-comparison-chart/?omcanvas=isqizcs1p2-canvas

With a claimed 82m users, Wix is, by a mile, the 800lb gorilla on the block.

I'm going to have a look at WordPress. I might learn something! :)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 the sword

I would develop in Wordpress a lot and the customisation is endless. If your buying a theme you usually get 6months of support with it and installing it is a breeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

There is "Wordpress.COM" and "Wordpress.ORG"
    Does anyone know differences between these ?
    Are they run by two different companies ?
    Is one better than the other?
    Are they both free ?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

WordPress is the system (free)
    wordpress.org is where you can download the WordPress system from, to install on your own hosting.
    wordpress.com is a place to host your WordPress site. basic free, but additions your pay for. Restrictions on the plugins, themes, scripts etc. that you can use.
    Which is better depends on what you want your website to do.

If you are a business get a professional to design/setup a WordPress site on your own hosting for you. Get some training on updating / adding products and then get on with your business.
    If you want to learn about websites or as a hobby, practice on a test site, not on your business site.

In general the lower the purchase price the more time and effort you will need to put in yourself. So unless your time is valueless
    nothing is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Go with .org over .com for a start.

Weebly is not too bad, wix is incredibly easy but very limited and not for a proper professional looking site.
    Wordpress would be first choice though there is a bit of a learning curve, squarespace after that

Advertisement