Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is primary school teaching the right choice for me?

• 25-04-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi,
    I'm currently a 5th year student in the Gaeltacht in Donegal and I would like to find out a bit more information about primary school teaching.
    I've always wanted to be a teacher and I am hoping to get into Marino through the Gaeltacht application! I would like to know:
    1. Is Marino a good college for your teaching practises
    2. Is your course much different than the people who have not gone into it through the Gaeltacht application
    3. Is it hard to get a permanent job after you've completed course?
    4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a primary school teacher in Ireland?

Go raibh maith agat!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Permanent jobs are nigh on impossible to get.There are hundreds of qualified and experienced primary teachers without one. There has been very temporary shortage of subs for very short term work this school year, as due to the new 4 year B. Ed, no teachers are finishing this school year.

Conditions for newly qualified teachers are poor both in term of starting salary and prospects of promotion. The DES seems hell bent on destroying the Irish system to ape the failed English one with reams upon reams of pointless paperwork. testing and more testing and heaven knows what else. The proposed "autonomy for schools" , if it gets through will be an absolute disaster in many respects. schools are not businesses and can't run as such. Large class sizes, lack of support for children with SEN, having to pay for school supplies out of your own pocket, the list goes on.

The advantages are that if it is something you like, there is nothing quite as good as seeing a child "get" something. Making a difference in a child's life is one of the best reasons to get into primary teaching, though your heart will break for some children.

My best advice is that you do some work experience in a local primary and see if it is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Philboyle1998

Thanks for your advice,
    The lack of work for teaching in Ireland is the only thing that is making me think about not doing it,
    I've arranged work experience for a week in June in my local primary school so I can get a real insight on what it's like! Hopefully all goes well! :)
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Thanks for your advice,
    The lack of work for teaching in Ireland is the only thing that is making me think about not doing it,
    I've arranged work experience for a week in June in my local primary school so I can get a real insight on what it's like! Hopefully all goes well! :)
    Thanks again!

A good tip I heard was to try and get work experience in a school that is the opposite of where you yourself went. If you went to a rural school, see what it is like in a large urban setting.
    Going back to your old school is familiar territory. You will probably know some of the staff who will be happy to see you back and welcome you. An unknown school would be a more realistic experience.

Good point! I never really thought of it like that to be honest.
    Another question about getting a job in Ireland..
    Is it easier to get a position in primary school teaching if you are from the gaeltacht??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not really, unless you are applying for a school in your own Gaeltacht or a Gaelscoil, it may help.Skills like sports, IT, first aid etc might help too, if the particular school is looking for the particular skill at that time. This will only work if there is open competition and the school isn't taking someone from the panel.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for your help and advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

hi,
    I'm currently a 5th year student in the Gaeltacht in Donegal and I would like to find out a bit more information about primary school teaching.
    I've always wanted to be a teacher and I am hoping to get into Marino through the Gaeltacht application! I would like to know:
    1. Is Marino a good college for your teaching practises
    2. Is your course much different than the people who have not gone into it through the Gaeltacht application
    3. Is it hard to get a permanent job after you've completed course?
    4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a primary school teacher in Ireland?

Go raibh maith agat!

Hi Phil,
    I've just finished 4th year in Marino and though it's stressed me out I couldn't recommend it more to begin your profession as a teacher. In terms of teaching practice, it's excellent, we tend to do a lot more than other colleges and although the workload can be harder at times, it's worth it because it stands to you in your final year and when you begin to sub and actually work as a teacher. We tend to have more teaching practice and teach more, just for a comparison when I was in 1st year I taught four lessons a day for 3 weeks, St. Pats in 4th year now are only required to teach 4 lessons a day. As well as that you aren't told what you're being inspected for whereas with other colleges I know people have been told and are aware. I know that that may seem as a downside at the time but it's way better because it makes you more natural as a teacher and it also makes you plan and do your job for your job instead of putting in a bit of effort for a once off visit from the inspector.
    It's no different for anyone who gets in on Gaeltacht points - we all do the same subjects, there is one irish class that is divided into 2 with the higher and lower group but you do the exact same work for it and everything. honestly it won't make a difference to you whatsoever, ironically one of the lads in my year got in on gaeltacht points and failed irish one time!

In terms of permanent jobs, it's not something i would be worrying about. teaching is a wonderful profession but also one that there will always be jobs in. will you get a permanent job your first year out? not a chance, the standard is about 2/3/4 years subbing and then getting a job. what i'm hoping is to maybe get a maternity leave in a school and if that doesn't work i'm just going to be a sub day to day when you're just called in for cover. it's just a matter of time and being patient and it will come eventually. I would advise that if you think you might ever want to live in donegal or whatever county you would be better going there straight away when you finish college because your days subbing that build up towards panel rights (being on the panel is how a lot of people get permanent jobs - its basically just where after you've built up enough time subbing you are entitled to whatever permanent job comes in that area after the people who are ahead of you). the panel rights are only valid within the same county or 40km radius i think so you don't want to end up when you're 30 leaving a permanent job in dublin or somewhere and being back to day to day subbing at home or whatever then.

Also in terms of getting a job the fact you are from a gaeltacht area will make it slightly easier for you to get a job in a gaelscoil :D

Disadvantages are scary parents! at the moment the big topic for young teachers is the pay issue where over the course of our lifetime we will make €200000 less than someone who qualified in 2011. another bad thing is they are bringing in a new curriculum for language and so far it is looking similar to the English curriculum, which may not be the best idea and looks like it may involve more planning which in reality i think the current curriculum is actually quite good but that's just my opinion. as well sometimes you can be surrounded by people who take pleasure in being a teacher outside of the classroom and who feel the need to boss and tell you what to do and that like to always be right.

Honestly I wouldn't feel there are too many disadvantages but this is coming from someone who is only really starting their career. My friend who is on his 2nd year subbing the only thing he notes is in his particular school there are a lot of teachers who take all his art supplies and he has ended up spending far too much of his own money on materials because of that. I think the issue with permanent jobs is something that we all panic too much about. sure it's not going to happen straight away but it will work out eventually. Realistically what you need to do to decide if you want to be a teacher or not is decide if you want to spend the next 45 years of your life working with children because if you don't feel that is something you could handle then don't do it. Teaching is a wonderful profession with so much opportunity to learn everyday, grow and to enjoy yourself and it's really something you should aim to bring yourself to and acknowledge that whilst you will learn a lot in college a lot will be your natural self and if you are suited to the job.

Thanks for your reply imelle, it really cleared things up for me! Marino is where I want to go as I know a few people that have gone there and they speak highly of it.
    All the best for the future! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 storyman1

Hi, I'm a 6th year student in a similar dilemma to what you were when you posted this. Can I ask if you went to marino in the end? Any regrets/tips/advice for me as I decide if primary teaching and marino are for me? Thanks

Advertisement