Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet slowing to a crawl when one laptop connects

Options
  • 25-04-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know who I might find out what's causing one laptop to slow down our wifi speeds to less than 1mb? We have fibre broadband with consistent speed of 11/12mb until this laptop connects. Ping increases from 11s to 1100s also.

I've turned off the Windows 10 p2p download, hoping that was the issue, but no.
    Antivirus is up to date and hasn't found anything on a scan to point towards malware, there are no torrents downloading on this laptop, I'm stumped, what else could it be?!
    The laptop is about 6yrs old, and upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago.

We're only noticing the bandwidth issue now as we've moved house and don't get the same fibre speeds we used to, so the slowdown obviously wasn't as noticeable before but still happening.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It may be that you have a 802.11N router, and the old laptop has a 802.11B/G wifi card. The router would slow down all traffic to 'G' rates if a @g@ device connects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    It may be that you have a 802.11N router, and the old laptop has a 802.11B/G wifi card. The router would slow down all traffic to 'G' rates if a @g@ device connects.

Ah ok, how would I find out if that's the case? #clueless!

Our router has two connection options, 2.4ghz or 5ghz, most of our devices can connect to either, but the laptop can only see the 2.4ghz, is that an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check properties for the wifi card in the old laptop (in Device Manager), or google it.
    5GHz is 802.11A
    If this is the problem you can get a different card for the laptop, depending on the OS version, drivers may be available.

I think we've figured out its Google+ auto backup that's doing it, does anyone know how to switch it off on a laptop? Can't seem to find an option, apart from deleting the program.

• Advertisement
Advertisement