Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's cheaper in the U.S.?

Options
  • 25-04-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Have been over in U.S. with work for a couple of months - shipping back box of 'household goods'. Naturally, I've maxed out on big label clothing.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything before I leave. Are there any other items that are any cheaper over here? Have some spare room for small-ish items but not sure if there's any other value to be had?

Am I right in thinking that there's no major advantage in buying electronics over here? (...as I couldn't really see much difference...unless there is on specific items...??).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My husband and I shipped a household to Ireland two years ago. There are things you can't get as easily here, but nothing that you can't get at all. For most things, you have to weigh its cost in the US against its cost to ship. If you have already purchased it in the US, you also have to take into account its cost to replace. The major advantage in buying electronics over here is that they have the correct plugs and run on the correct voltage.

Laptop computers are cheaper in the US and can run in Ireland/the UK with just a plug adaptor (they need no voltage adaptor). Sewing fabric, that's the thing. If you sew, regular sewing fabric is very difficult and expensive to obtain here. I kick myself when I think of all the quilting fabric I gave away. Hard. Like I would almost be willing to pay you to tuck fifty yards of assorted quilt fabrics and muslin into your luggage for me. The prices for an entire yard in the US are about the prices for a quarter metre here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Speedwell wrote: »
    For most things, you have to weigh its cost in the US against its cost to ship.
    Someone else covering cost of shipping - so all good on that front.

Speedwell;99511854Laptop computers are cheaper in the US and can run in Ireland/the UK with just a plug adaptor (they need no voltage adaptor).

Speedwell;99511854My husband and I shipped a household to Ireland two years ago. There are things you can't get as easily here, but nothing that you can't get at all. For most things, you have to weigh its cost in the US against its cost to ship. If you have already purchased it in the US, you also have to take into account its cost to replace. The major advantage in buying electronics over here is that they have the correct plugs and run on the correct voltage.
    Thanks for that. I guess I don't really have a need so I'll pass on this one.

Speedwell;99511854Like I would almost be willing to pay you to tuck fifty yards of assorted quilt fabrics and muslin into your luggage for me. The prices for an entire yard in the US are about the prices for a quarter metre here.

I'd oblige you on that but unlike your move, I've only been here for a few months so it's just a case of an additional 6 cu. feet. box. It's almost all accounted for - just a slight bit of spare space that I'm filling.

Advertisement