Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyphehane/Togher Safe?

Options
  • 25-04-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Might be moving to one of these areas shortly and was wondering how quiet they are, whats' the worst part of each area?

I know they had a bad rep when I ins school but I'm guessing they have quietened down at this point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

My mother in law lives in Ballyphehane not far from the church. Really quiet, never any trouble. The neighbourhood is quite mature now. You'd see the occasional group of teens hanging around but then again you'd see that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

namloc1980 wrote: »
    My mother in law lives in Ballyphehane not far from the church. Really quiet, never any trouble. The neighbourhood is quite mature now. You'd see the occasional group of teens hanging around but then again you'd see that anywhere.

Was thinking it might have matured alright. Any issue up by Pearse sq or the flats around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

sozbox wrote: »
    Was thinking it might have matured alright. Any issue up by Pearse sq or the flats around there?

Pearse Sq is a bit of a blackspot for anti social types, the rest of the area goes into shutdown about 9pm, once the 9o'clock news is over it's bedtime for most people, take a drive/walk around any night and you'll see what I mean.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

aujopimur wrote: »
    Pearse Sq is a bit of a blackspot for anti social types, the rest of the area goes into shutdown about 9pm, once the 9o'clock news is over it's bedtime for most people, take a drive/walk around any night and you'll see what I mean.

Is Quirkies (or whatever that place is called) still a scum magnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

'

It's worse since they were cleared out of the Harp Bar.

• Advertisement

Think that closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hi all,

Might be moving to one of these areas shortly and was wondering how quiet they are, whats' the worst part of each area?

I know they had a bad rep when I ins school but I'm guessing they have quietened down at this point?

Togher hasn't really been trouble since the early 80s. One estate up in Lehenaghmore is to be avoided though, couple of bad eggs were moved in there. Ballyphehane is quiet enough as well.

Think that closed down.

No harm.

Togher hasn't really been trouble since the early 80s. One estate up in Lehenaghmore is to be avoided though, couple of bad eggs were moved in there. Ballyphehane is quiet enough as well.

Isin't Togher home to a particularly *******

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's far worse than them in togher but generally they are grand areas op. Balltphehane the quieter of the too. They are both pretty big areas though and have good and bad. I wouldn't have a problem living in either area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Nowhere near as bad as its reputation is. Mainly an elderly population.
    Lots of great amenities - community centre, plenty of shops, hairdressers, a few take aways, the credit union, and the park.
    The lough is just a stones throw away, as is Aldi. Good bus routes and walking distance to town and UCC.
    Great schools in the area too, with choices between mixed, single sex, gaelscoil and there's even two secondary schools.
    Very few other areas in cork so close to town can boast such facilities.

The anti social side is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I would live there in a heartbeat. I lived in Douglas for a period last year and actually found the anti social behaviour way worse than ballyphehane and Douglas has a far superior reputation.

Exactly what part of ballyphehane are you looking at OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

Hi, I'm living in Togher, Tramore Road area and have been for the past 30 years. I don't have any problems with the area and my wife has lived here all her life. We have and are, rearing 6 children and at this time, have no intention of moving, ever. All places have so called 'dodgy areas', just don't pick one of them. See you around soon, cheers!

Cheers for all the replies! Really helping me in making a decision.

Main areas in mind are:

Edward Walsh road
    Pearse road
    Sarahville place
    Pouladuff road

Any of these particularly dodgy? I agree too on Douglas, seems to have an awful bad rep these days, not even considering it as an option as a result

Cheers for all the replies! Really helping me in making a decision.

Main areas in mind are:

Edward Walsh road
    Pearse road
    Sarahville place
    Pouladuff road

Any of these particularly dodgy? I agree too on Douglas, seems to have an awful bad rep these days, not even considering it as an option as a result

I'm currently saving for a mortgage and id give my right arm to live in any of those areas :) Edward Walsh road would be the least desirable location of your list in my opinion, but even at that it's still grand. Pouladuff is lovely, that would be my top pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pouladuff road would be the best area op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm on Tramore Road also (Togher side), we've had very little trouble (although one morning some lad showed up in our back yard, claimed to have been chased and asked us to call him a taxi :confused:)

omahaid wrote: »
    I'm on Tramore Road also (Togher side), we've had very little trouble (although one morning some lad showed up in our back yard, claimed to have been chased and asked us to call him a taxi :confused:)

Did you call one?

Ha, we did actually, then called the guards when he left :D

It was a surreal incident as it happened at 10:30 on a Tuesday morning.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I'm currently saving for a mortgage and id give my right arm to live in any of those areas :) Edward Walsh road would be the least desirable location of your list in my opinion, but even at that it's still grand. Pouladuff is lovely, that would be my top pick.

Do you know of any issues on that road?

• Advertisement

some timing :D

"A man in his early 40s died after received gunshot wounds in an incident in a house in the Ballyphehane area of the city this afternoon."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-dies-in-cork-shooting-731467.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

some timing :D

"A man in his early 40s died after received gunshot wounds in an incident in a house in the Ballyphehane area of the city this afternoon."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-dies-in-cork-shooting-731467.html

Was about to post the same thing!

Was literally just thinking about what rubbish timing this was as well.

At least it was an accident in the house and not some targeted shooting though. Very sad all the same!

Warzone so!

Warzone so!

OP please do not let this cloud your view. I grew up in this area, I am third level educated as are most of friends and family and it's a place full of decent, hardworking, respectable people. I can't wait to move back there because it's a got strong community spirit.

I'm open to correction but to the best of my knowledge all the antisocial issues stem from a long standing feud between two families and the trouble is contained to themselves, they don't go around attacking bystanders around the neighbourhood if you know what I mean.

What happened today was an accident.
    It is by no means a war zone at all and calling it so is a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I think he was joking about the warzone.

WHATS THAT? I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE GUNFIRE AND HELICOPTERS!

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    OP please do not let this cloud your view. I grew up in this area, I am third level educated as are most of friends and family and it's a place full of decent, hardworking, respectable people. I can't wait to move back there because it's a got strong community spirit.

I'm open to correction but to the best of my knowledge all the antisocial issues stem from a long standing feud between two families and the trouble is contained to themselves, they don't go around attacking bystanders around the neighbourhood if you know what I mean.

What happened today was an accident.
    It is by no means a war zone at all and calling it so is a stretch.

joking but I am rather looking forward to the next estate agent who tells me "this is a very quiet area":D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Lived there during the 90's never had any bother.
    Houses and gardens uses to be very well kept.

Advertisement