Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romero making new FPS in Galway

• 25-04-2016 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-25-john-romero-and-adrian-carmack-go-to-kickstarter-with-new-fps-blackroom
    There's no gameplay footage to speak of, only concept art. There are also only three members of the development team named - the third being George Lynch who makes metal music.

The developer, incidentally, is Night Work Games in Galway, Ireland - a subsidiary of Romero Games. It's not clear how many people work at the studio or if there are other

Simple game idea that really could be modded to infinity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bit bizarre seeing Romero walk down Shop street, I wonder how many people would've recognised him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Bit bizarre seeing Romero walk down Shop street, I wonder how many people would've recognised him.

Was watching an interview with him the other day, weird to him talk about going to all these gaming meet ups in Galway!

This is pretty funny as well, with Adrian Carmack (not sure if Carmack is in Galway right now? Assume so):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Timing is absolute genius with the disappointment of the new Doom.

Smallest kickstarter pledge that gets you the game is $29 - a little high for kickstarter, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zillah wrote: »
    Timing is absolute genius with the disappointment of the new Doom.

Smallest kickstarter pledge that gets you the game is $29 - a little high for kickstarter, no?
    The pricing is pretty interesting actually. $700k, once you factor in the fees and rewards, isn't a lot of money to produce a ten hour campaign, multiplayer mode and modding toolset so perhaps they're hoping the higher buy in price combined with what they're including will allow them to exceed their goal by a decent margin?

The biggest question for me is, who are they working with on this? They're not hiring at Nightwork judging by their website and Romero Games just has an open ended set of details on their career page. The website for the project itself says they're "Assembling an international team of experts..." but that could mean a bunch of people working remotely rather than them hiring up.

The lack of those kinds of details along with the concept-y nature of the pitch and no prototype work to see so far would have me a bit cautious with putting money down to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

$29 is quite steep I felt myself. I haven't backed this yet. I wonder what the budget for the total project is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think the price is more than fair for what's on offer, it's just the nature of Kickstarter to expect less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If he goes on the piss in Galway, Shop street will make him its bitch.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think the price is more than fair for what's on offer, it's just the nature of Kickstarter to expect less.

Well, yeah? If you want me to pay full price for your game then that is reasonable. If you want me to make a wager that in two year's time you'll have produced a game of high quality then you can hardly expect me to spend as much as if the game was right in front of me.

Nobody's expecting anything, they're inviting you to take part *if* you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

John Romero and Adrian Carmack pause Blackroom Kickstarter to create a gameplay demo

Not particularly surprising but as the link states, they've decided to suspend their campaign until they have a working prototype at which point it'll be resumed.

• Advertisement

It's the best thing to do really, much easier sell with a demo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Shiminay wrote: »
    much easier sell with a demo :)

It'll be notable for having one at all, these days demos are so rare that a game can really stand out just by having one. If it turns out great, people'll be far more willing to throw their money behind the next kickstarter they set up.

Demo or "early access" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

They have paused funding or something and I was just about to back it. Even though I don't have the same memories of iD Software as a lot of other people, I think having these guys develop a game in Ireland is great.

I'm guessing they're suspending the campaign because of how little they were getting. Very little activity so far by the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The official statement is to release a demo before they ask for any more money. They're not playing by anyone's rules. Still excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They're not playing by anyone's rules. Still excited.

Not even their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Khu7LxA.png

Advertisement