Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok I have a psychiatric condition

Options
  • 25-04-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

And I am afraid vaping will set things off and I'll go downhill! Already made a massive step by going back to work two weeks ago after being off on sick leave for a period of 5 years! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

Well done for getting things back on track. It's difficult to turn your life around, and you should congratulate yourself for that. Moving to vaping is small potatoes compared to what you've done.

I found the transition relatively painless, and pretty quickly I found it more satisfying than smoking.

I can't think of any medical reason why if should cause problems, but it might be worthwhile checking with your doctor first, or at the very least taking it slowly - supplement your smoking with vaping and see if any issues come up, and if it's okay, start gradually replacing smoking with vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

j26m wrote: »
    Well done for getting things back on track. It's difficult to turn your life around, and you should congratulate yourself for that. Moving to vaping is small potatoes compared to what you've done.

I found the transition relatively painless, and pretty quickly I found it more satisfying than smoking.

I can't think of any medical reason why if should cause problems, but it might be worthwhile checking with your doctor first, or at the very least taking it slowly - supplement your smoking with vaping and see if any issues come up, and if it's okay, start gradually replacing smoking with vaping.

Yea the docs know I am gonna try give up as I went and asked about Champix but was warned off.

I really, really appreciate your reply. And your comment about it being more satisfying than smoking is so very interesting! Im gonna take the bull by the horns and go hell for leather with this tomorrow. I have a trip next week to Eurodisney and I don't want to be puffing 70 rollies a day over there, this is the start of my new life.

j26m wrote: »

Yea the docs know I am gonna try give up as I went and asked about Champix but was warned off.

I really, really appreciate your reply. And your comment about it being more satisfying than smoking is so very interesting! Im gonna take the bull by the horns and go hell for leather with this tomorrow. I have a trip next week to Eurodisney and I don't want to be puffing 70 rollies a day over there, this is the start of my new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

pinkstars wrote: »

Like j26m said, take it slowly, it's not a race . If it works for you then great but if it doesn't or if it takes a while ...what have you lost ? nothing ... a few euro for what you bought but thats about it . Don't be putting extra preasure on yourself . If you even got as far as 50/50 smoking and vaping , that would be 35 rollies gone, that would be the equivalent of winning the world cup for most of us . Baby steps , don't overly try to force it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

And I am afraid vaping will set things off and I'll go downhill! Already made a massive step by going back to work two weeks ago after being off on sick leave for a period of 5 years! Any thoughts?

Nice one & well done from me as well,half the battle is over because you have thought of giving up smoking & to give vaping a try.The hardest thing for me was accepting vaping as a replacement for smoking,that was hard to believe but vaping worked out so easy for me & that was over 7 years ago,it was the 24mg/36mg eliquid which I started with & that took care of all my cravings,I never missed those rollies,not one little bit.
    Starting with the correct vaping set-up is important & also advice from other vapers here will improve your chances even more.
    Just keep asking questions here if you need advice about anything,YouTube is a great friend to have when it comes to vaping.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all yer help - I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wee steps. Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Thanks for all yer help - I really appreciate it![/quote

I've been fighting with depression and anxiety for years and am on full time meds.
    I'm over two years vaping with no issues to date.
    I'd been smoking over 35 years before that and when I gave up I was smoking around 200 Marlboro Red a week.

Try it and give it your best shot. For some people (including me) a complete switch works. Most people though seems to find it easier to change over gradually.
    But the most important advice you'll get, in my opinion, has already been given to you.
    It's not for everyone, so whatever happens don't beat yourself up over it.
    You've obviously come a long way, so above all else, don't let anything get in the way of your recovery.
    Keep the faith and wish you every success

Advertisement