Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue screen of death

Options
  • 25-04-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I use my WD passport a lot. I plugged it in this morning as usual. The file i wanted was open since Friday, but wasn't updated version so attempted to open the new one from my external. It disappeared when I clicked on it! Resulting in blue screen of death. Computer started fine afterwards without external plugged in.

I came home. Same thing on my personal laptop. I'll attach a pic of the blue screen. I can't get it loaded up in order to do a virus scan.

What can I do? What are the chances my files will be recovered?

j5b9fa.jpg

I'd be really grateful if you could help me out. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If it's killing Windows, try a Linux Live CD and see if you can access your external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

USB mas storage really shouldn't be able to BSOD a machine, it doesn't have DMA like TB/FW.

If you connect it doesn't it instantly crash or only if you try to open it? Given that its two windows systems its nuking Id try an ubuntu bootable to see if the linux drivers gracefully handle whatever bad data its throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

degsie wrote: »
    If it's killing Windows, try a Linux Live CD and see if you can access your external drive.

Is this an actual CD I'm supposed to borrow off someone? Afraid anyone I know is a Windows head - don't know anyone using Linux! :-( (My computer knowledge isn't too vast I'm afraid).

You can burn a cd yourself, or make a bootable USB key.

ED E wrote: »
    USB mas storage really shouldn't be able to BSOD a machine, it doesn't have DMA like TB/FW.

If you connect it doesn't it instantly crash or only if you try to open it? Given that its two windows systems its nuking Id try an ubuntu bootable to see if the linux drivers gracefully handle whatever bad data its throwing.

When I connect it, it does instantly crash, but it didn't this morning when I opened it first. It was only when I went to open the file I was working on yesterday (which was just a flipchart on ActivInspire) that it went wrong.

What's an ubuntu bootable? Is it something I download? I'm sorry, you'll have to be blunt!

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You can burn a cd yourself, or make a bootable USB key.

Is it downloadable? (At the risk of sounding extremely stupid)

Thank you Ed. So, I download it, put it on a USB (a different one!!) , then do what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

If it did caused the same blue screen of death on both laptop and desktop, then I wouldnt think that it will work in Linux. Still no harm in trying. Seems like it might be a hardware fault.

Is it possible that you damaged it the drive or the USB cable?
    Does the USB port feel loose - this happens quite a bit?
    Can you try another USB cable?

If it did caused the same blue screen of death on both laptop and desktop, then I wouldnt think that it will work in Linux. Still no harm in trying. Seems like it might be a hardware fault.

Is it possible that you damaged it the drive or the USB cable?
    Does the USB port feel loose - this happens quite a bit?
    Can you try another USB cable?

I was using the drive yesterday and it worked fine. When I plugged it in this morning, it didn't cause any error until I tried to open the flipchart.

I tried another cable, but the laptop didn't recognise it at all so I'm not sure if the cable was faulty or not. I could try a 3rd cable.

And yes, it caused the same screen on both laptop and desktop.

How likely is it that a computer shop could recover the data? It's just word documents/powerpoints/flipcharts but it's data that I spent time on over the last wihle (I know I should have backed it up, but it's too late for hindsight now) :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Thank you Ed. So, I download it, put it on a USB (a different one!!) , then do what?

Linux is a open source Operating system like MS windows and Apple MacOS
    There are many different types, called distros, someone recommend the distro Ubuntu go with that
    You can download most for free and create a bootable CD or USB drive
    UNetbootin software See here
    UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions without burning a CD.
    https://unetbootin.github.io/

Download a Linux distro ISO
    Download Unetbootin software
    create your bootable USB with Unetbootin
    change your bIOS to boot from USB
    Your computer will now start in a Linux environment

The idea here is the problem that is crashing windows may not crash Linux as it is a different/better operating system , it may see the drive fine and you can copy your files off.

Can you see the device icon before it crashes?
    You might be able to scan it for errors on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACiT3GMcNs

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Linux is a open source Operating system like MS windows and Apple MacOS
    There are many different types, called distros, someone recommend the distro Ubuntu go with that
    You can download most for free and create a bootable CD or USB drive
    UNetbootin software See here
    UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions without burning a CD.
    https://unetbootin.github.io/

Download a Linux distro ISO
    Download Unetbootin software
    create your bootable USB with Unetbootin
    change your bIOS to boot from USB
    Your computer will now start in a Linux environment

The idea here is the problem that is crashing windows may not crash Linux as it is a different/better operating system , it may see the drive fine and you can copy your files off.

Can you see the device icon before it crashes?
    You might be able to scan it for errors on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACiT3GMcNs

I can't see the device at all. If the computer is on, and I plug the external in, then it crashes immediately. I don't have an opportunity to scan it unfortunately.

Even if I can't remove the files I need, what are the chances a computer shop can? I didn't sleep last night because I could really do with those files and I'm kicking myself over stupidity of not having them backed up.

Initially you stated you got the BSOD when attempting to open a file which resided on an external drive. Now you say that your comp crashes immediatly when you attach the same external drive, so has the situation changed?

Initially you stated you got the BSOD when attempting to open a file which resided on an external drive. Now you say that your comp crashes immediatly when you attach the same external drive, so has the situation changed?

No, the situation has not changed.

Initially, before any BSOD, I connected the hard drive, as I do every morning.
    IT was only when I went to open a file, that I got the BSOD.
    Since then, the minute I connect the external, I get the BSOD.
    Had I known yesterday there was a possible issue with the hard drive, I would have scanned first yesterday morning.
    I didn't drop it, yank the cable, move it to cause this reaction. It just seemed to occur after I opened a file.

Sorry for any confusion.

Take your time with this. think it through and dont do anything rash. Unfortunately your window for getting data from that drive may be limited.

It seems to me like there is a hardware failure. This normally breaks down to an error with:
    - The enclosure, USB port, accompanying circuitry, and hard disk interface.
    - The physical disk itself.

I would first look online and see if there is a disk in the enclosure with a "regular" hard disk, with regular SATA power/data connectors. This may allow you to take the disk from the enclosure and plug straight in to a regular PC.

maybe post the full model number of it here.

I don't know what that entails so I think I'll just leave it. Time for the experts. Thought there'd be more traffic here!

It's a lesson for everyone. Back up your stuff!

Really tough lesson, I possibly may cry when the IT guy tells me the data is irrecoverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

are you using sonic dla software or Roxio CD burner software on your computers by any chance?

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=3818
    https://community.wd.com/t/my-passport-essential-se-blue-screen-of-death/6952

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Try disabling any anti virus software on the machine and see if it runs then. Can you open the drive on any other computer or do you get the same problem?

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Try disabling any anti virus software on the machine and see if it runs then. Can you open the drive on any other computer or do you get the same problem?

I have tried it on 2 other computers and it is the same. I expect I might be doing more damage than good by repeatedly connecting it and hoping for a miracle so today I don't think I'm going to try it. Mini dump files have been created but I can't open them. Don't know if they'd be helpful anyway. Two errors have shown depending on cables I think.
    IRQL NOT EQUAL I think and another about NON PAGED something or other.

I don't know what that entails so I think I'll just leave it. Time for the experts. Thought there'd be more traffic here!

It's just not one of those things that you can give simple advice on. I've had two of those come in to the office in a similar situation and I couldnt get anything back from them. And that's with them in my hand where I can actually work on them.

But check what I said about the hard drive, you might get lucky and find that it is an issue with the enclosure and not the hard drive.

It's just not one of those things that you can give simple advice on. I've had two of those come in to the office in a similar situation and I couldnt get anything back from them. And that's with them in my hand where I can actually work on them.

But check what I said about the hard drive, you might get lucky and find that it is an issue with the enclosure and not the hard drive.

Thanks Peter, I wouldn't be confident checking anything internally and would be fearful I'd do more damage than good.

Getting someone to have a look at it tomorrow so pray for me! (Even if you're not the religious type!!!!!!!!)

Will disabling my antivirus & connecting the hard drive to experiment as suggested above do more damage overall?

Will disabling my antivirus & connecting the hard drive to experiment as suggested above do more damage overall?
    Like most things in life there is always a degree of uncertainty. I have come across many failure mechanisms on HDD (internal/external), you get a feel for it, sometimes by listening for clicks, feeling for vibrations etc. The very worse scenario is the head crash on the internal platters, rare enough these days.

Fingers crossed you get a good outcome. While waiting, set up an online storage account and make sure to engage a good backup strategy from here on in.

Like most things in life there is always a degree of uncertainty. I have come across many failure mechanisms on HDD (internal/external), you get a feel for it, sometimes by listening for clicks, feeling for vibrations etc. The very worse scenario is the head crash on the internal platters, rare enough these days.

Fingers crossed you get a good outcome. While waiting, set up an online storage account and make sure to engage a good backup strategy from here on in.

Haha thanks - I haven't been in the form to recreate anything this week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but will definitely set up an online storage facility, and purchase another back up as a back up! :/

I tried to do the Linux thing but had no look creating a bootable USB. I'm clearly not intelligent enough for this sort of thing, but I'm hoping against hope that my data can be salvaged.

Thanks for the help.

(Tried a third cable, it doesn't seem to work ie. the light comes on the external, I can hear whirring, but there's no blue screen but neither does the computer seem to recognise the device at all..........)

So I might need an enclosure thing or it might be the USB controller. (according to IT man)

Anyone have any recommendations on places in Maynooth or nearby before I try a data recovery place? How much do data recovery places charge (at most)?

Serial number is WXB1A54LMRLP Peter, not sure if that helps.

Thanks for your help so far. Where are you based, perhaps I could just bring it to you & avail of your services?! :D

Serial number is WXB1A54LMRLP Peter, not sure if that helps.

Thanks for your help so far. Where are you based, perhaps I could just bring it to you & avail of your services?! :D

You'd really have to open up the enclosure and get the make and model number of the drive for anyone here to make suggestions as to the type of new enclosure you may need.

Serial number is WXB1A54LMRLP Peter, not sure if that helps. Thanks for your help so far. Where are you based, perhaps I could just bring it to you & avail of your services?! :D

Hey, the product code/model number would be the number I would be looking for. I'm based in Kildare, but tbh where you are with it now I'm not sure I would be able to assist much. It may be a job for the hard drive experts at this point. But post the model number and we'll take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 dubgurl

Get one of these: http://www.pcworld.ie/action/searchsite/enclosure-25 - a 2.5" hdd enclosure and hook it up to your laptop via USB. If it works then you will be able to get into Windows Explorer to access the folders.

Advertisement