Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue screen of death

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

dubgurl wrote: »
    Get one of these: http://www.pcworld.ie/action/searchsite/enclosure-25 - a 2.5" hdd enclosure and hook it up to your laptop via USB. If it works then you will be able to get into Windows Explorer to access the folders.

NOOOOO. not yet. You have to make sure that the disk has regular SATA connectors. A lot of those external USB drives have proprietary connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

NOOOOO. not yet. You have to make sure that the disk has regular SATA connectors. A lot of those external USB drives have proprietary connectors.

Don't worry, not buying one. Very expensive and then may not even work anyway!

Left it into a shop. Fingers crossed!

For anyone who might be interested, it's not good news.
    I was called today to say that they couldn't retrieve my data.
    I haven't collected it yet so I don't know the exact problem (it was a voicemail).
    To say I'm gutted is an understatement. A lot of time wasted. I've heard it could cost almost €1000 to retrieve data with a data recovery company (I assume that's not the price if it can't be retrieved!) but I'm not willing to spend that much on it! So, onwards and upwards. Is something like Google Drive my next best option in order to begin again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Have a read here. Some swear by the 3-2-1 strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dubgurl

Don't worry, not buying one. Very expensive and then may not even work anyway!

Left it into a shop. Fingers crossed!

Sorry - I meant this link http://www.pcworld.ie/category/enclosures/403.4.5, not the other one.

Too bad it didn't work out with repair guys.

• Advertisement

So I picked up hard drive today. I was told that they were unable to hook it up to their machine at all as the USB connector is connected internally and can't be removed in order to be checked in their enclosure thingy. Does this make sense to anyone? He told me my only option may be data recovery and that they'll do an assessment for 40 euro or so. Does anyone have any experience with datarecovery.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

So I picked up hard drive today. I was told that they were unable to hook it up to their machine at all as the USB connector is connected internally and can't be removed in order to be checked in their enclosure thingy. Does this make sense to anyone? He told me my only option may be data recovery and that they'll do an assessment for 40 euro or so. Does anyone have any experience with datarecovery.ie?

This video might be relevant to you.
    How to recover data from wd passport

Keplar240B wrote: »

This video might be relevant to you.
    How to recover data from wd passport

I see a screwdriver or some tool and bits of a drive..... I don't think I'm the best person to start attacking and ripping apart my HD as then all hope is definitely lost! But I'll watch the vid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

I see a screwdriver or some tool and bits of a drive..... I don't think I'm the best person to start attacking and ripping apart my HD as then all hope is definitely lost! But I'll watch the vid!
    in your op you say "The file i wanted was open since Friday,"
    Did you remove the external drive without closing the file?
    So the currentsituation is your files are on the external and you cannot plug it in without BSOD?
    Have you tried starting a pc in safe mode and connecting it? I am not even sure you can but if you removed it without closeing the file you may have damaged it and the damage may be conflicting with a driver that won't run in safe mode

If you stop it restarting when the bsod strikes, win 7 instructions here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm would you be able to manually start with the disk plugged in? Or just turn off pc.plug in disk and start it

rucksack wrote: »
    in your op you say "The file i wanted was open since Friday,"
    Did you remove the external drive without closing the file?
    So the currentsituation is your files are on the external and you cannot plug it in without BSOD?
    Have you tried starting a pc in safe mode and connecting it? I am not even sure you can but if you removed it without closeing the file you may have damaged it and the damage may be conflicting with a driver that won't run in safe mode

If you stop it restarting when the bsod strikes, win 7 instructions here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm would you be able to manually start with the disk plugged in? Or just turn off pc.plug in disk and start it

I cannot connect it without the BSOD coming up, including in Safe Mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

I cannot connect it without the BSOD coming up, including in Safe Mode.
    Did you try turning off pc. connecting and turning on? If you did this try connecting the ext and booting with paragon bootable rescue media https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Advertisement