Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asia in August

Options
  • 25-04-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How are you all, I have 3 weeks in August i'd like to use to go to Asia somewhere.

Went to Vietnam and China last year and loved it.

Any recommendations? I'm 30, not overly interested in the stereotypical backpacker scene. Looking for a little adventure, would like to broaden my horizons further.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Japan?

Would see a lot in three weeks, particularly with a rail pass (must buy in advance). Plenty to do - exploring modern cities (Tokyo), history both recent (Nagasaki/Hiroshima) and further back (Kyoto), hiking (Mount Fuji) and rural islands.

Or you could fly to Moscow and take the Trans-Siberian in that time, stopping off across Russia and maybe dipping down into Mongolia. Or you could take the BAM line north of Baikal for some off-the-beaten track Russia. Great country.

Two suggestions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Thailand as its a very diverse place with lots to do such as Bangkok the capital and also Phukett and Vietnam is another option

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The OP mentioned having been in Vietnam last year though, so I presume they're looking for something different.

Asia is hugely diverse though - "I want to go to Asia for three weeks" doesn't narrow it down for suggestions really!

You could try the Himalaya - northern India, Nepal and Bhutan; the latter would be more expensive I think ($200 a day to visit, though I think that's fairly all-inclusive and with a guide), but would also be furthest from the back-packing route.

Iran is opening up and is much easier to get into lately; supposedly a very friendly country at a time when most of the Muslim world seems to be going bat**** insane.

The Stans are hugely varied too - could join that with a train journey from Moscow, head to Almaty in Kazakhstan and then onwards maybe to Uzbekistan to explore the old Silk Road; Samarkand is a bit of a jewel for example.

Lots of options.

Advertisement