Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of re-tilling a roof

Options
  • 25-04-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking for a general cost of re-tilling a gable roof on a 2000Sqft house. To include removal of old tile, and facia and supply and fitting of new slate and facia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

single or double storey?
    what you mean by gable roof?
    tile to slate...may, may be planning issues?
    what about gutters: reusable?
    Tomber or PVC facia?
    what about soffit boards: reusable: PVC or timber.
    If doing it consider replacing slating lathes and underlying felt if its the back unbreathable stuff.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maui jim

Thanks, it's a dormer bungalow. Gable end walls built up so roof is two sides. Changing to new pvc gutters and downpipes. Timbers behind gutters are still fine and will be reused. I will be looking to price new felt aswell. Interesting about possible planning issue I will look into it. House is in country and not overlooked by anyone so shouldn't be problem.

Thanks, it's a dormer bungalow. Gable end walls built up so roof is two sides. Changing to new pvc gutters and downpipes. Timbers behind gutters are still fine and will be reused. I will be looking to price new felt aswell. Interesting about possible planning issue I will look into it. House is in country and not overlooked by anyone so shouldn't be problem.

If in country you wont see anyone till the next election.... so I don't think it will be an issue.

What part of the world are you in: I have a guy based in Sallins, Co Kildare who might do it if not too far.

Why are you switching, are old tiles asbestos cement tiles? If so its a different ball game if it is to be done right:D

It's actually an elderly neighbour of mine. He's decided to change for appearance reasons only. Roof is perfect as far as I can tell. He's gotten quotes ranging from €20000- €30000 which I think someone is trying it on but I wouldn't have a clue how these things are costed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

To re-slate gable roof in a 110 SQM bungalow approx €12k plus VAT, tiled with fibre cement slates, incl new fascias and soffits. When getting quotes get a detailed breakdown for everything, for example:

Remove existing roof slates and membrane
    Install uPVC fascias and soffits
    Install new roofing membrane
    Install battens and counter battens
    Reslate roof
    Install ridge tiles
    Replace/adjust any lead flashings
    Dispose of old roof tiles, membrane, fascias and soffits

Cost will be higher if barges have to be adjusted/replaced.

That's great Jonathan thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

JonathonS wrote: »
    To re-slate gable roof in a 110 SQM bungalow approx €12k plus VAT, tiled with fibre cement slates, incl new fascias and soffits. When getting quotes get a detailed breakdown for everything, for example:

Remove existing roof slates and membrane
    Install uPVC fascias and soffits
    Install new roofing membrane
    Install battens and counter battens
    Reslate roof
    Install ridge tiles
    Replace/adjust any lead flashings
    Dispose of old roof tiles, membrane, fascias and soffits

Cost will be higher if barges have to be adjusted/replaced.

Where in the country is this ?

BryanF wrote: »
    Where in the country is this ?

Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?
    Is it not obvious?

Another one for the ignore list

• Advertisement

Is it not obvious?

Another one for the ignore list

Got out on the wrong side of bed yesterday, did we?

I have no problem answering questions, as long as I get the courtesy of a brief line of context.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Why do you ask?

Rural Kerry will be cheaper to re roof than cork city, Donegal cheaper than Dublin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

the typo of country versus county might be why he thought it was a smart ass comment.

Advertisement