Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick Maltese?

• 25-04-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping those with more knowledge can point me in the right direction. I have a 14 month old unneutered male Maltese and he's extremely off form since around Thursday.

He's crying and whining for no apparent reason, he's off his food, refusing most treats, no interest in going for walks when it used to be the most exciting thing ever for him.

Doesn't appear to be in any apparent pain, he has no bother running / putting weight on his paws. He's just very clingy, wants to be up all the time, sleeping loads and whiny.

If I had to compare it to human symptoms he seems almost depressed.

The only thing I can account for the behaviour is that he did the deed with a neighbours Bichon on Wednesday. We were at a confirmation so she was looking after him for us and they were meant to be kept in different rooms because she's in heat, but somehow they managed to escape and they did the deed. Is it normal for dogs to get upset after having sex?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your dogs behaviour could well be the least of your worries. You might want to check your contract with your dogs breeder. My advice is to ensure the bichon gets the mis-mate injection, a vet can advise when it should be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Your dogs behaviour could well be the least of your worries. You might want to check your contract with your dogs breeder. My advice is to ensure the bichon gets the mis-mate injection, a vet can advise when it should be given.

Will do, I emailed him earlier but still waiting on a reply. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd be very much inclined to bring your dog to your vet for an examination to make sure everything's okay with him. They can damage themselves whilst mating, his changed behaviour may be a response to pain or discomfort... it's got to be ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

WhiteRoses wrote: »

The only thing I can account for the behaviour is that he did the deed with a neighbours Bichon on Wednesday. We were at a confirmation so she was looking after him for us and they were meant to be kept in different rooms because she's in heat, but somehow they managed to escape and they did the deed. Is it normal for dogs to get upset after having

I would imagine it was no accident on your neighbours part. She probably knows how much a Stud fee for a Maltese is ;-) I would also never leave my dog with such a person again. Your dog could have been seriously injured or get an infection.

I reckon your dog is now pining to get back into the bitch. Unfortunately this can be the outcome of breeding pet dogs. Some can become right pests. He will settle when she goes out of heat until the next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Knine wrote: »
    I would imagine it was no accident on your neighbours part. She probably knows how much a Stud fee for a Maltese is ;-) I would also never leave my dog with such a person again. Your dog could have been seriously injured or get an infection.

I reckon your dog is now pining to get back into the bitch. Unfortunately this can be the outcome of breeding pet dogs. Some can become right pests. He will settle when she goes out of heat until the next time!

Took the words right out of my mouth! Any responsible owner would not have agreed to dogsit at such a risky time.
    Can anyone say maltichon? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

HAve you spoken to the neighbour to see that her bitch has had an injection to throw the pregnancy?

Advertisement