Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Esb Ireland meter

• 25-04-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I gave Esb a ring to install a prepay meter, a few weeks ago! Engineer called said I can't do it ur nightrate meter needs to go! Tried pinergy same thing! So if I go ring Esb will they install meter without charging 194 e for the privilege? My last bill was huge as I've a special needs child! Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

According to this article (which I admit is a couple of years old)...switching to a prepay meter might not be the best idea.
    I would certainly check out the cost per unit on prepay and the standing charges too.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/warning-that-prepaid-electric-meters-will-cost-you-more-30310044.html

Maybe try bonkers.ie..... Ideally, have your last six electricity bills to hand so you can tell them roughly what your usage is...and the site will recommend the cheapest option. Some, if not all suppliers, now allow you to pay the same every month, based on approximate usage, so you pay a bit more in the summer months and a bit less in the winter but it's all balanced out in the long run. They'll also adjust your monthly payment if the usage is way higher or lower than expected.
    I think the only down side is that you have to supply monthly meter readings but that isn't too difficult once you do the first one...

Anyhow...hope this helps.

E

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mum37

I'll give Esb a ring back, looks like prepay out the window! Back to the drawing board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Are you moving to prepay because your aim is to use less electricity?

There is a daily surcharge for having a prepay meter. It ranges from approx. 20 to 40 cent per day. So unless you plan on using less electricity, the PAYG meter will end up costing you more each month.

You might be better to talk to your local Credit Union and speak to them about a Budget Account.
    mum37 wrote: »
    I gave Esb a ring to install a prepay meter, a few weeks ago! Engineer called said I can't do it ur nightrate meter needs to go! Tried pinergy same thing! So if I go ring Esb will they install meter without charging 194 e for the privilege? My last bill was huge as I've a special needs child! Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

mum37 wrote: »
    I'll give Esb a ring back, looks like prepay out the window! Back to the drawing board!

Are u using the night rate enough for it to make sense.

As for paying for a PAYG meter, my experience is that they get done for free if you go into arrears...

As noted in the earlier helpful posts, there are two very separate issues here
    1. usage
    2. having funds to meet bill

1 is one you need to understand and see where the usage is going

2: can be addressed, in part by having some of your weekly/monthly payments set aside to meet the bill.

I work a lot in this area and it can be done but you need to be ruthless in budgeting because folk can suggest all the money management ideas in the world but if there is no buy-in then they wont work.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Prepay is the most expensive form of electricity payment.
    Why would you do that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

snubbleste wrote: »
    Prepay is the most expensive form of electricity payment.
    Why would you do that?

People think its cheaper and more manageable, while it might be more manageable to pay as you use its certainly not cheaper in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IMO if you can't budget for essential bills that you can tally yourself at any time then your problems are bigger than the type of meter you have.

OP keep a notebook. Read the meter every week, write down units and difference in units each time and multiply by unit rate. Then every week you know how much youve spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

im a big fan of the payg meter as you have to put the money in or you have no electic,,,which means you do it, no big unexpected bill , not everyone can be disciplined to put away x amount and can easily get spent otherwise..,also the newer ones now you can moniter ur usage as in what each appliance cost to run ,,it was great for me as i would cut back if was using too much ,,u dont do this on the billing plan and can easily forget and run up huge bills ,,,,,with regards your night meter comming out ,,if you get some one to dissconect it , i had similer issue in a previous property, was a night meter but the olf fashioned coin meter ,,,,the landlord got it taken off ,,,not sure how night meters work so mb thats not an option ,,,then you can get meter for free....iv been without mine as i moved and shortly will be getting it again ,,,,otherwise i think you can get a card or something and pay a bit every week

im a big fan of the payg meter as you have to put the money in or you have no electic,,,which means you do it, no big unexpected bill ,
    not everyone can be disciplined to put away x amount and can easily get spent otherwise..,also the newer ones now you can moniter ur usage as in what each appliance cost to run ,,it was great for me as i would cut back if was using too much ,
    ,u dont do this on the billing plan and can easily forget and run up huge bills ,,,,,with regards your night meter comming out ,,if you get some one to dissconect it ,
    i had similer issue in a previous property, wasnt a night meter but the old fashioned coin meter ,,,,the landlord got it taken off ,
    ,,not sure how night meters work so mb thats not an option ,,,then you can get meter for free....iv been without mine as i moved and shortly will be getting it again ,,,,otherwise i think you can get a card or something and pay a bit every week

Dont know why it posted twice ,,dont know how take one off ,,sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Little bit off topic but what has a special needs child got to do with huge elec bills?
    Steer clear of prepay meters, you end up paying a lot more. With energia, you can read meter at any time and online tool estimates how the bill is going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

not everyone can be disciplined to put away x amount and can easily get spent otherwise

Thats something you'd expect of a 12 year old. Really a little maturity is expected of somebody living independently.

If you can't budget for your day to day expenses how the hell are you meant to deal with an unexpected outgoing? Boiler breaks down, broken front window etc? Do you go to a loan shark? Learning not to spend every copper in your pocket is a life skill on par with learning to read and write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ED E wrote: »
    Thats something you'd expect of a 12 year old. Really a little maturity is expected of somebody living independently.

If you can't budget for your day to day expenses how the hell are you meant to deal with an unexpected outgoing? Boiler breaks down, broken front window etc? Do you go to a loan shark? Learning not to spend every copper in your pocket is a life skill on par with learning to read and write.
    Don't get me started.....best iphone and biggest sky package and yet cant afford things. It really is a key life skill but nothing to do with OP, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ED E and TheDriver - please try to post helpful posts rather than critical posts.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ED E and TheDriver - please try to post helpful posts rather than critical posts.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Cabaal wrote: »
    People think its cheaper and more manageable, while it might be more manageable to pay as you use its certainly not cheaper in the long run

This is misconception, bord gas and as far as I am aware elec Ireland both have the same per unit rates and standing charges as their own domestic rates.
    The only difference is, that you cannot avail of percentage reductions on offer, which sometimes in practice amount to very little.
    Pinergy?or energia? may be different.
    Bonkers is a good suggestion, I'd consider myself clued into bill costs and planned to switch to another single provider for everything as I've been with my current provider a few years and am considering savings. Was going to go with a dual fuel option with one of the major providers but bonkers pointed me to better savings by going separately for elec and gas.

I'm not sure why a special needs child alters electric usage hugly? Maybe more usage for certain specific things does bump it up, but as does having children generally.

Having PAYG might help people budget better, by allowing them to pay as they use rather than feel they are not going to be hit with a huge bill in two months, plus you can see it regularly, but there are level pay direct debits too,unless there is a concern of the money not being there,in which case a DD would not be a saving as the bank might apply penalty charges.

I'd look not just at usage,but how it's used, gas to heat water should be cheaper than electric, assuming you can turn off the rads when room heating isn't needed. Maybe a few energy saver bulbs in high usage areas, like halls, landings and living rooms, anywhere that's on a lot, opposed to a room that's hardly used at all.

ED E wrote: »

My maturity level is perfectly adequate ,,,,and really who would expect a 12 year old to be worrying about bills ,,
    Iv lived idependantly since my teens,,i owe no money to anybody ,and my bills are all up to date .
    This is a discussion about gas meters.I was giving my opinion on how the meter is very helpful to me, helped me learn to control my usage ,hence keeping my costs lower ,
    That is my preference ,but i don.t push it on anyone or think my way is the only right way ,,unlike some of the more mature participents,,,...personally i have found the meter cheaper ,,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is a discussion about gas meters.I was giving my opinion on how the meter is very helpful to me, helped me learn to control my usage ,hence keeping my costs lower ,
    That is my preference ,but i don.t push it on anyone or think my way is the only right way ,,unlike some of the more mature participents,,,...personally i have found the meter cheaper ,,
    It's about electricity meters.
    and it is not cheaper, as you said yourself it only restrains your usage,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

the only way to get a meter installed with no upfront payment is to be in arrears with your acc although I'm sure you'll end up paying in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is this about Gas or Electricity metres?

PAYG electricity is far from cheaper. It is the most expensive way to pay. If you want to spread the cost and pay as you go, then get the cheapest tariff and either pay weekly in advance towards it or put the weekly sum away to meet the bill.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's about electricity meters.
    and it is not cheaper, as you said yourself it only restrains your usage,[/QUOTE
    I meant to write electric ,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Electric Ireland
    "The Pay As You Go service charge is 29c per day"

Bord Gais Energy only offer PAYG electricity meters if you are in arrears.
    cerastes wrote: »
    This is misconception, bord gas and as far as I am aware elec Ireland both have the same per unit rates and standing charges as their own domestic rates.
    The only difference is, that you cannot avail of percentage reductions on offer, which sometimes in practice amount to very little.
    Pinergy?or energia? may be different.

Advertisement