Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 Passat and Apple CarPlay

Options
  • 25-04-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Does any one know if new VM Passats support Apple CarPlay.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

MY16 on cars with the 6.5 inch screen and above (called MIB2 head units) have it built it. If not activated from the factory it costs 250-300 for the activation code and the dealer to input it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Thanks. I'm talking to the dealer at the moment and would like them to include it in the deal. The sales guy doesn't know about carplay and there's no info on the Irish VW site that I can point him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try looking at the Skoda website. It's essentially the same device, they call it SmartLink and it supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I have it on my Octavia, it's a nice feature and saves you having to pay for a GPS (quite a pricey extra I found). I use the Spotify app a lot, although I find that a bit buggy. Maps work well, used it extensively on a trip up north last month. Overall I'm glad I got it as an extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have Carplay inmy My16 passat.
    Though It is the Discover Pro unit I have.
    I had to register it online and get a code, It now works.
    Cost nothing to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amerdy

Hi Guys Just purchased 2016 Passat highline spec. I assumed it had Appnet for Carplay. Im shocked VW Customer car says my car not compatible?? It has Composition media infotainment system. they also say it impossible to retrofit

I'm shocked . Can anyone help me?? i see people on forum with 2015 polo and beetle all with this option. was i sold a dud.Production date week 49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭JoeA3

amerdy wrote: »
    Hi Guys Just purchased 2016 Passat highline spec. I assumed it had Appnet for Carplay. Im shocked VW Customer car says my car not compatible?? It has Composition media infotainment system. they also say it impossible to retrofit

I'm shocked . Can anyone help me?? i see people on forum with 2015 polo and beetle all with this option. was i sold a dud.Production date week 49

It's compatible. Your dealer / VW "customer care" are talking out of their hoop. Find a dealer that knows what they're talking about - not an easy task in itself.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's compatible. Your dealer / VW "customer care" are talking out of their hoop. Find a dealer that knows what they're talking about - not an easy task in itself.

Joe what you experience. I have spent days researching. What should I check . What info do I require. What evidence do I need . How can I challenge this. My dealer seems helpful . Germany tech team are also saying no well that's what the tell me?? It should be a MIB II system with a composite media player 6.3 . The brains in glovebox only had 1 sd slot which seems different. Can u help me

Joe what you experience. I have spent days researching. What should I check . What info do I require. What evidence do I need . How can I challenge this. My dealer seems helpful . Germany tech team are also saying no well that's what the tell me?? It should be a MIB II system with a composite media player 6.3 . The brains in glovebox only had 1 sd slot which seems different. Can u help me

Check out the Golf R / GTI thread in the buying sub forum on here. Several lads have App Connect activated on their 2015/16 Golfs, including OSI who replied on this thread above.

You have the MIB 2, Composition media, non-navigation unit. That's the reason you've only one SD slot. The 2nd SD slot is for the Nav maps, which you don't have, but that's irrelevant.

Ask the dealers to look up this part number - 5G0054830A. I'm pretty sure that's the "part" (I.e. Activation licence key) that you need.

Check out the Golf R / GTI thread in the buying sub forum on here. Several lads have App Connect activated on their 2015/16 Golfs, including OSI who replied on this thread above.

You have the MIB 2, Composition media, non-navigation unit. That's the reason you've only one SD slot. The 2nd SD slot is for the Nav maps, which you don't have, but that's irrelevant.

Ask the dealers to look up this part number - 5G0054830A. I'm pretty sure that's the "part" (I.e. Activation licence key) that you need.

Hi joe thanks for your feedback. Ok just FYI I my dealer ordered part no prob . The spend 1 day and half trying to install . The contacted Germany the also could not resolve. Finally Germany say sorry your car can't support CarPlay that's after service department said yes and also vw Ireland but now they have retracted and apologized. The were also quick to say that a retrofit not possible. From my research . It's seems to be on golf mk7 late 2015 because that what the tested it on

Hi joe thanks for your feedback. Ok just FYI I my dealer ordered part no prob . The spend 1 day and half trying to install . The contacted Germany the also could not resolve. Finally Germany say sorry your car can't support CarPlay that's after service department said yes and also vw Ireland but now they have retracted and apologized. The were also quick to say that a retrofit not possible. From my research . It's seems to be on golf mk7 late 2015 because that what the tested it on

Hmmm...
    Try a browse through this thread here - http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11933-app-connect-can-now-be-retrofitted-by-vw-on-2016my-golfs/page-22

It's a Golf forum but the MIB unit is identical to that in the Passat.

• Advertisement

I have rhe nav unit. Discover Pro.

I have 2 slots in my unit in the glovebox.
    Both slots work with sd card for media.

Discover Pro is a different beast entirely. Built in HDD, bigger screen, etc. App connect is activated from the factory on those.

From browsing the thread I just linked to above, it seems that some versions of the basic MIB 2 unit aren't upgradable! If you have a "Mute" button on bottom left rather than a "VOICE" button it seems you could have problems... Also do you have App Connect in your menus? If not then....

So maybe VW are actually correct in this case...

Interesting article. so what I have established so far is that my VW Passat Highline 2016 production date week 49 has composite media head unit MIB II and can only assume that control also latest generation 2. I need to now establish have any cars well VW Passat prior to week 49 had app net/ Mirror link installed for VW Ireland
    I believe Mirrorlink was available on mk7 golf from week 22?? Also I see on you tube some VW Passat with Mirrorlink on the infotainment screen. My infotainment unit does not show even mirror link.
    Yes I am aware app net is only been rolled out but at the very least you expect it to be pre installed for activation in a Decemeber 2015 production car
    Especially when it appears to have the lastest infotainment system installed and then to be denied a technical explanation??i smell a rat!!
    I will visit another VW garage to pick their brains

So in your system menus you don't have any "App Connect" option at all? In my 2015 Golf, I have the basic Nav unit (same as yours + Nav) and I have an App-Connect option in the menus. If I select it, it says to contact dealer for activation. You don't have this at all?

And do you have a VOICE or a MUTE button on the radio itself?

If it's MUTE and you don't have the menu option then maybe you just can't get it. It seems some versions of the MIB 2 units just aren't compatible. Strange.

I can confirm that yes I have a mute button and yes appnet is not shown in menu. My belief my MIB II is now generation 1 which is crazy considering its December production model. If I can establish that prior to this date VW Passat arrived with generation 2 I may have an argument otherwise I loose the battle😨

I can confirm that yes I have a mute button and yes appnet is not shown in menu. My belief my MIB II is now generation 1 which is crazy considering its December production model. If I can establish that prior to this date VW Passat arrived with generation 2 I may have an argument otherwise I loose the battle😨

Afraid so. Sounds like you're snookered.

I had a quick browse on Carzone there and every new Passat I see with a decent pic of the radio has the same as you - Mute button.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya we have a 16 highline passat here and it won't do android auto etc. From reading various threads, if you cannot see an option for app connect, it simply cannot be done.
    Piss poor to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

I might be missing something obvious but what date does production week 49 fall into ? Are you saying it was week 49 in 2015 or the latest Passat is now 49 weeks in production?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This has been extensively discussed on the GTI/D/R thread.

If you are ordering the car you need to specifically add the app-connect activation. It is €100. It is not activated as standard except for the Discover Pro. I can't remember the extra code off-hand but the dealer should be able to do it.

If you do not specify the €100 extra when ordering, you will NOT have carplay activated but the dealer can activate it for €300.

If you don't have MIB II with app-connect menu option it cannot be activated. There were some MIB 1.5 strange units knocking around alright.

Week 49 = 49th calendar week of 2015 (so amerdy's car was built in early December 2015).

It seems to me that standard Passats that haven't either of the Navigation units fitted have the Composition unit with the "Mute" button and no App-Connect.

App-Connect also requires the iPhone USB interface which isn't standard in the Passat either - it's 75 quid or something! It's only standard in the "Business Edition".

The reason this hasn't been an issue for Golf owners is because virtually all Golf's since 151 have the standard Nav unit fitted standard as part of the technology pack.

• Advertisement

Week 49 = 49th calendar week of 2015 (so amerdy's car was built in early December 2015).

It seems to me that standard Passats that haven't either of the Navigation units fitted have the Composition unit with the "Mute" button and no App-Connect.

App-Connect also requires the iPhone USB interface which isn't standard in the Passat either - it's 75 quid or something! It's only standard in the "Business Edition".

The reason this hasn't been an issue for Golf owners is because virtually all Golf's since 151 have the standard Nav unit fitted standard as part of the technology pack.

My car has USB option . How can I check the version of my player. Someone mentioned under the Menue Button? . Also has anyone on this forum a Passat with production in 1st quarter 2016. VW state all VW in 2016 have new unit
    It's really poor of VW installing this unit in Golfs from Mid 2015 but I purchase a Passat production dec 2015 top of the range and they install a pissy standard unit . Joke

The model year of a VW doesn't fall from Jan-Dec. VW change over to the next year model in week 22. So since end of May last year, every Passat built would be known as MY16 - model Year 2016. They wouldn't usually make much alterations to spec between those dates but sometimes some minor tweaks are made around week 40 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Mib2 units with a camera or nav will support app connect. Vw ireland had this included with every golf under their "technology pack" free upgrade, which is now 161 euro I believe. By having either a combination of the rear camera or nav or both the mib2 unit that comes will support app connect. As Joe says the easiest way to tell is if you have a mute button instead of voice then currently app connect is not possible.

From what you have said I don't think you can get this done. The Golf's would have been the same, many in the UK have this problem. But by virtue of the fact that all irish golfs have a camera and nav then they are compatible with app connect.

Getting a consistent answer from vw dealers isn't going to happen. This is relatively new tech and they arnt familar with it still. Your dealer in fairness have done all they could. Ordered the software code, failed to work, got a ticket opened with vw tech who can't get it going which is in line with many owners of that headunit with mute button.

No what you want to hear.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Mib2 units with a camera or nav will support app connect. Vw ireland had this included with every golf under their "technology pack" free upgrade, which is now 161 euro I believe. By having either a combination of the rear camera or nav or both the mib2 unit that comes will support app connect. As Joe says the easiest way to tell is if you have a mute button instead of voice then currently app connect is not possible.

From what you have said I don't think you can get this done. The Golf's would have been the same, many in the UK have this problem. But by virtue of the fact that all irish golfs have a camera and nav then they are compatible with app connect.

Getting a consistent answer from vw dealers isn't going to happen. This is relatively new tech and they arnt familar with it still. Your dealer in fairness have done all they could. Ordered the software code, failed to work, got a ticket opened with vw tech who can't get it going which is in line with many owners of that headunit with mute button.

No what you want to hear.

I see vw have a screen mirroring Device listed as a part number. That might work to give some options.

what does screen mirroring mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dinneen

I too have a 2016 Passat highline bought in April. I have the same problem as you. I have the app connect codes but my car won't take it. Did you get any answers from VW?? I'm still waiting to hear back.

what does screen mirroring mean??

Late reply but Basically displays phone screen in dash screen.
    I've got such a system set up in my audi and I'm happy enough. I wireless get Google maps youtube etc onto the dash screen and playing out over the car sound system.

dinneen wrote: »
    I too have a 2016 Passat highline bought in April. I have the same problem as you. I have the app connect codes but my car won't take it. Did you get any answers from VW?? I'm still waiting to hear back.

Have you got the discover unit or the discover Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tengtooltom

I have a 162 Tiguan Highline with same problem.
    Screen comes up giving the app connect, iPhone and mirror link options but nothing else happens when I connect phone with USB lead. Screen stays greyed out. Dealer has failed. VW Ireland have failed. Service guy from dealer said that it worked on car at training day.
    Dealer would not even look at car until I got on to VW (10 weeks). They have had the car for one whole day, failed to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tengtooltom

OSI wrote: »
    Are you sure the cable you are using supports data? A lot of the cables that come with chargers etc now only support power, so they won't work with the likes of app connect.
    I have been using the lead that came with the phone, a Sony M4. This lead has two barrel type blocks on it. There are four other different Android phones in the house. We have tried them all. Dealer service lady tried her own phone. She was the First Person from the dealer to even bother to sit in the car and try anything, after 10 weeks.

Advertisement