Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto-Clock out?

Options
  • 25-04-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking for a bit of info. The other half is a duty manager in a restaurant. Theyr're bringing a new policy where staff will be automatically "clocked-out" 12.30 on a Friday night, 1am on a Saturday.

The staff regularly work past those hours with the cash, clean up and set up for the next day. Sometimes til 2 or 3.

Can the employer automatically set a clock out time like that?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are they paid hourly on the basis of hours clocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they paid hourly on the basis of hours clocked ?

Yes, at the moment they clock in, at 5pm lets say, and then are paid until they clock out

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Seems very strange, even in the case of say a fire often clock records can be checked to see whose still on the premises etc. I can't imagine staff are happy with working on after 12.30 / 1 for free if they were previously getting paid until they clocked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Leave when it clocks, it won't take long for them to change the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I'll hazard a guess and say that this is a non union establishment. Get your wife and her pals down to Mandate and this little problem should be resolved tout suite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

What does her contract say about overtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Same thing happened in a hotel I used to work in, kitchen porters were told that they won't get paid after 11pm Sunday to thursday, when they could be working till 12 or 1am.
    Suddenly all the work started to be finished by 11pm every night. They were just taking their time at the end of the night to get more wages.

Not saying thats what happening in your wife's restaurant, but I guarantee you management think staff are staying on late to make more money, that's why they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Senna wrote: »
    Same thing happened in a hotel I used to work in, kitchen porters were told that they won't get paid after 11pm Sunday to thursday, when they could be working till 12 or 1am.
    Suddenly all the work started to be finished by 11pm every night. They were just taking their time at the end of the night to get more wages.

Not saying thats what happening in your wife's restaurant, but I guarantee you management think staff are staying on late to make more money, that's why they are doing it.

I would hate to see the state of that kitchen after all the corners they had to cut to get their work "done" an hour or two early every night.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I would hate to see the state of that kitchen after all the corners they had to cut to get their work "done" an hour or two early every night.

Nope it was just a case of staff taking the mick, all jobs were done and signed off by breakfast supervisor in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Senna wrote: »

Exactly this.

In our family business, we go through very strong swings in business. Manic in Spring, Dead in Winter. We have a static staffing level, yet it always seems to take the entire day in winter.

OP, this is just the Managements way of making your wife work faster, and it'll work.

For most staff, 9 times out of ten, the job will take up the maximum allotted time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd have to agree with the two posters above, that's more than likely what management think is happening.

My first job as a 16 year old was a kitchen porter and when were the only ones left we used to mess around taking things slowly from about 11.30 to 1 to get paid more. Obviously this isn't right but it definitely goes on.

The OPs other half is the duty manager, so they should be aware if there is a problem that will be solved by this.
    If time wasting is the problem, then the duty manager should be the one to solve it, if it's not the problem, then they should talk to senior management about the proposed change.

Advertisement