Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

an arm and a leg- wheres the cheapest?

• 25-04-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

right on a bulk at the moment and the gym has given me a nutrition plan to follow. The cost of the food doesn't be long adding up. Any help as to where the following can be got cheaper?

1. Have been using liberte strawberry greek style high protein yoghurts. Use two for breakfast each morning. Normally cost €2.75 for 4 in dunnes. Any other brand available with the high protein available for less?

2. Similarly have been having granola with the greek yoghurt. Again been using crunchy nut oat granola which is about €4 a pack and only lasts 3-4 days. Anywhere where this can be got in bulk or else at least more in the packet for €4.

3. packets of blueberries are €2.50 each in Dunnes (assuming you buy two packets for €5)

4. Turkey burgers- any ideas where these can be got cheaply?

Lads what are cheap high calorie foods for bulking?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

mengele wrote: »
    right on a bulk at the moment and the gym has given me a nutrition plan to follow. The cost of the food doesn't be long adding up. Any help as to where the following can be got cheaper?

1. Have been using liberte strawberry greek style high protein yoghurts. Use two for breakfast each morning. Normally cost €2.75 for 4 in dunnes. Any other brand available with the high protein available for less?
    I use the plain liberte/Glenisk/ Fage, whichever is on offer. This week the 500g tubs of Glenisk and Liberte are €2 in Tesco
    2. Similarly have been having granola with the greek yoghurt. Again been using crunchy nut oat granola which is about €4 a pack and only lasts 3-4 days. Anywhere where this can be got in bulk or else at least more in the packet for €4.
    Lidl and Aldi would have granola that is much cheaper
    3. packets of blueberries are €2.50 each in Dunnes (assuming you buy two packets for €5)
    Lidl has punnets for €1.79. Frozen will be much cheaper
    4. Turkey burgers- any ideas where these can be got cheaply?

Lads what are cheap high calorie foods for bulking?

Turkey burgers, buy in bulk online from kerrigans. https://www.kerriganmeats.ie/product-category/foods-for-fitness/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Some of those yoghurts are a rip-off. 0% fat plus stick 'protein' on the front and the cost per kg would be similar to a juicy steak.

Again berries are also extortionately priced. If you must then go with frozen (apples just ain't sexy enough anymore).

Granola just buy the ingredients and make your own, cheaper and healthier.

Turkey burgers are going to be expensive because it's a lean meat which doesn't have much demand. It's basically a niche luxury meat. You'd be better off buying a turkey joint and cutting it up (~€9/kg) or buying your own turkey mince (~€9/kg) and forming burgers with it plus add your own spices/flavourings.

As an aside, turkey burgers are the worst tasting burgers ever I can't believe people eat them with any regularity. Buying in bulk from kerrigans or whatever is convenient but it ain't cheap even at €1 a burger. How turkey burgers have become a thing is beyond me.

If it was me I'd buy some 10% beef mince and grill them, it will remove some of the fat and they won't taste like a cardboard turkey burgers; turkey is too lean a meat to make nice burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

jive wrote: »

As an aside, turkey burgers are the worst tasting burgers ever I can't believe people eat them with any regularity. Buying in bulk from kerrigans or whatever is convenient but it ain't cheap even at €1 a burger. How turkey burgers have become a thing is beyond me.
    Ahem, have you ever tasted kerrigans burgers? They're fcuking lovely.
    They should use the logo.. I can't believe it's not beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

You get it cheaper if you shop around and put some effort in making your own food.
    0% Greek style yogurt is always on offer in SuperValu or tesco 2euro for 500grams. I got 1kg bucket of Greek style in Lidl for 2.5 couple weeks ago. Also lidl has light cottage cheese which is high protein and is pretty cheep.
    I buy boneless turkey legs 10kg for 33 and mince them myself.
    There are plenty other berries and fruits that can be used. You do not have to stick with blueberries all the time.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ahem, have you ever tasted kerrigans burgers? They're fcuking lovely.
    They should use the logo.. I can't believe it's not beef

As far as burgers go they are brutal. Turkey doesn't lend itself to being a good burger and regardless of how good kerrigans might be they can't perform miracles. Lean meat = good for low calories but not so good for burgers/meatballs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's a Tesco Healthy Living Fromage Frais as well that's got decent macros - not far off Liberte et al - and is 1.75/500g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1. Probably get tesco/Aldi brand for a bit cheaper. Get what's on special, avoid 0% stuff.
    2. Again, Tesco/Aldi own brand will be a lot cheaper on a per 100g basis. Identical
    3. Berries are expensive and low calorie overall. I'm not sure why you are eating these on a bulk.
    4. Turkey can be quite lean, which means missing calories. Kerrigans mentioned above look to be are around $1.25-$1.50 a burger, and 110-140 calories. Roughly €1 per 100 cals.
      Tesco Beef burgers are €4 for 6, (1500 cals), or 25c per 100 cals. 3 packs for 10 right now.

The foods you've mentioned would be fine when cutting. But tring to bulk on 0% FAge, blueberries and turkey is going to cost $$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

jive wrote: »

I love turkey burgers. Finely chop a chilli, a couple of cloves of garlic, a bunch of coriander and a teeny bit of ginger. Chuck in a pinch of Chinese 5 Spice, mix into your turkey mince and bob's yer uncle.

OP, get everything in Lidl and Aldi and you'll save yourself a fortune, especially if you keep a close eye on the Super 6 meat and veg offers.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I love turkey burgers. Finely chop a chilli, a couple of cloves of garlic, a bunch of coriander and a teeny bit of ginger. Chuck in a pinch of Chinese 5 Spice, mix into your turkey mince and bob's yer uncle.

OP, get everything in Lidl and Aldi and you'll save yourself a fortune, especially if you keep a close eye on the Super 6 meat and veg offers.

I like them too I just think they're bad relative to other burgers.

Good tip on the super 6, usually I will buy whatever is on offer; helps keep the grocery bill down and the diet varied. A whole large chicken for like €3 or €4 goes a long way and it's tastier than just chicken breast (bit more work due to requiring carving but no biggie). Super 6 is good as it will have veg and fruit, meat offers are never usually anything extraordinary but it all adds up.

Is the nutrition plan from the gym particularly prescriptive or just a case of calorie and/or macro targets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Move to Aldi! Shopping for myself, I spend at max 50 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

jive wrote:
    I like them too I just think they're bad relative to other burgers.

They just different beasts. Sometimes I want a beefburger, sometimes chicken, sometimes turkey.

Mind you, I've never bought a pre-made turkey burger, but presumably some are crap and some are great, just like with store-bought beefburgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

reklamos wrote: »
    0% Greek style yogurt is always on offer in SuperValu or tesco 2euro for 500grams. I got 1kg bucket of Greek style in Lidl for 2.5 couple weeks ago.

The "Greek style" yoghurt that the OP is referring to, and that is often on offer for €2 for 500g (eg. Fage Total, Liberté and Glenisk) is not the same as the 1kg bucket of "Greek style" yoghurt in Lidl. There is less protein, and more sugar in the Lidl yoghurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The "Greek style" yoghurt that the OP is referring to, and that is often on offer for €2 for 500g (eg. Fage Total, Liberté and Glenisk) is not the same as the 1kg bucket of "Greek style" yoghurt in Lidl. There is less protein, and more sugar in the Lidl yoghurt.

Pretty sure there is the same amount of protein and sugar (no added, just naturally occurring) give or take - I believe the difference is the Lidl one is full fat (approx 10%) versus 0% in the Fage/Liberte/Glenisk ones. Depending on your goals, there is nothing 'wrong' with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pretty sure there is the same amount of protein and sugar (no added, just naturally occurring) give or take - I believe the difference is the Lidl one is full fat (approx 10%) versus 0% in the Fage/Liberte/Glenisk ones. Depending on your goals, there is nothing 'wrong' with this.

Oh maybe the Lidl yoghurt has changed since I've seen it last :)
    I thought it only had about ~3g of protein per 100g compared to ~10g for the Fage/Liberté/Glenisk versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

anyone try skyr yoghurt? 16 - 19g protein/ 170 grams, 2 euro a pop in supervalu though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

timple23 wrote: »
    anyone try skyr yoghurt? 16 - 19g protein/ 170 grams, 2 euro a pop in supervalu though

That's pretty much the same as all the other strained yoghurts and the same price. What's the taste like?

timple23 wrote: »

You should be able to get deals on Liberte or Glenisk which have much the same macros (~10g/100g). The larger pots that are on special at €2 are 450g compared with the others which you will get on special for 500g.

Haven't tried it though.

Advertisement