Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV package for business (gym)

Options
  • 25-04-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for (legitimately) having TV (subscription or Free To Air) in a business.

Virgin cannot supply for whatever reason. Sky are looking for approx €5k per box pa.

Just feel a bit restricted in this day and age? No?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you really need a TV package for a gym? The gym I go to doesn't have any TV packages or even a free to air setup and I can't see what having one would add.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Do you really need a TV package for a gym? The gym I go to doesn't have any TV packages or even a free to air setup and I can't see what having one would add.

I don't think we need it, but we've always had it and I've been set the task of researching.

Regardless of whether we need it, I can't believe the cost and lack of options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

5k for commercial sky seems pretty reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

get smart TV, a broadband package and the world's your oyster. - You can even have different programmes on different screens if you have different rooms. Tons of music TV to suit every taste is online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If it counts for anything, I'd prefer a rolling news feed with some static content instead. Whenever I'm in the gyms in hotels abroad, I'm usually just reading the ticker anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

VincePP wrote: »
    get smart TV, a broadband package and the world's your oyster. - You can even have different programmes on different screens if you have different rooms. Tons of music TV to suit every taste is online

Access to vast amount of content wouldn't be the issue. Legally using the content to entertain your customers is the bigger question.

Graham wrote: »
    Access to vast amount of content wouldn't be the issue. Legally using the content to entertain your customers is the bigger question.

I can't see where the issue is for free to air content once you are paying your imro fee.

I can't see where the issue is for free to air content once you are paying your imro fee.

As your post mentioned a smart tv and broadband package I inferred you were not talking about FTA content.

As your post mentioned a smart tv and broadband package I inferred you were not talking about FTA content.

smart tv is just a tv that can connect wirelessly to broadband and there is massive free to air choice of channels to stream via your smart TV - most have apps already built in. Just click and go.

smart tv is just a tv that can connect wirelessly to broadband and there is massive free to air choice of channels to stream via your smart TV - most have apps already built in. Just click and go.

Thanks, I often wondered what that obscure glass sheet was in the corner of the room. We just called it magic talky window. :pac:

I think our definitions of FTA might be misaligned. I wouldn't class streaming media as FTA nor would I assume it's automatically licensed.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I often wondered what that obscure glass sheet was in the corner of the room. We just called it magic talky window. :pac:

I think our definitions of FTA might be misaligned. I wouldn't class streaming media as FTA nor would I assume it's automatically licensed.

:)

We pay imro/ppi for our stores and we stream our music online and have a TV in a customer kids area with some kids channel showing - once its broadcast / streamed via a proper channel there shouldn't be any issue and imro/ppi will collect a public performace fee from you. I can't see where showing a streamed TV programme / music videos would be any different.

Advertisement