Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separated unmarried and house buy out

Options
  • 25-04-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My partner and I bought our house a year ago with both names on the deeds..65/35 split. He actually only paid 25% and has agreed that this will settle his share. My questions are:
    1. Will the law allow us to settle for less than the deeds state his share is.
    2. Do we need separate lawyers given that we have come to a agreement we're both happy with?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if anything else you take from this thread get your own solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sorry OP, you need legal advice and legal advice cannot be given on boards so I am closing this thread.

As Godtabh says, you will need your own solicitor, ideally one that has not acted for you together in the past.

Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just one observation- it is not a foregone conclusion that the property is worth more now, 12 months later- than it was when you paid for it. Allowing a commensurate reduction in the stake in the property- could also be allowing a comensurate reduction in any debt or costs associated with disposing of the property. If it typically costs 3% to buy or sell a property (all fees, stamp duty etc)- you'd need a 5% increase in property prices- to stand still). If the property cost 100k (plucking a figure out of thin air) and there are 5k of costs (realistically it will be significantly higher)- but the property has not increased in value by a commensurate amount- the 5k in costs- instead of being apportioned 3,250 to you- 1,750 to him- are now 3,750 to you- 1,250 to him......

You need-

1. Separate solicitors
    2. A proper valuation of what you can realistically expect to get if/when you sell the property (typically in a situation like this- unless you are actually getting rid of the property- you get 3-4 valuations- and average them- to try to smooth out valuers over or under valuing a property)
    3. Make no agreements informal or otherwise- without as many facts as possible.

One party 'agreeing to take a smaller stake' does not automatically equate with the person who has the larger stake being better off...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement