Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Commerce Vs Commerce with a Language

Options
  • 25-04-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I am in L. Cert now and I hope to do Commerce in UCC next year. I'm considering doing it with a language (Probably Chinese) but I have a few queries..

I have a great interest in different cultures and travelling but I am not too great at languages.. I do French at the moment and I find it very hard to learn and I dislike learning it..

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult the language part of the course is and should I consider doing it?

I would love the year abroad and would prefer the smaller class size but I'm kinda worried that I just won't be able for the language side of it..

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

I don't know about the Mandarin option but the other languages are pretty intense: 40% of your course covering all topics including culture, philosophy, linguistics, etc. I would say it is the harder part of the course for most students.

That said, it certainly opens a whole lot of doors (during and after), gives you a varied and interesting education with the opportunity to explore different areas, and the year abroad is fantastic.

In my day (10 years ago or so), some people dropped the language after a while. I am not sure how did it or if it's still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SlimySeagull

embraer170 wrote: »
    I don't know about the Mandarin option but the other languages are pretty intense: 40% of your course covering all topics including culture, philosophy, linguistics, etc. I would say it is the harder part of the course for most students.

That said, it certainly opens a whole lot of doors (during and after), gives you a varied and interesting education with the opportunity to explore different areas, and the year abroad is fantastic.

In my day (10 years ago or so), some people dropped the language after a while. I am not sure how did it or if it's still possible.

Thanks for your reply.

I know that they are so much benefits to doing a language and I'd really love to do the year abroad but I just don't know if it's worth struggling through 4 years of a language for..

I know it will be a lot of work and I don't think I'm good enough at languages to be able for it.. Even if I can just get by, i feel I'l do far worse in it compared to the business side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

What result are you expecting in LC French?

Why Chinese?

I would try to talk to some students who are presently doing the course and see what their experience is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SlimySeagull

embraer170 wrote: »
    What result are you expecting in LC French?

Why Chinese?

I would try to talk to some students who are presently doing the course and see what their experience is like.

I'm hoping to scrape a C1 or B3 in honours French (A C1 minimum is the requirement for the course) I would do it with French but I feel everyone else doing it with French is going to be really good at French and really enjoy it from LC and I'l be very behind since I just about got the requirements..

Chinese then seemed like the most exciting and interesting alternative and I like how everyone starts as a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Have you done any research into studying Chinese? It's much more difficult then any European language including French, and I don't think the added employment benefit is as good as you might think it is. It would definitely be more advantageous to do French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jfit90

I finished Commerce and German 3 years ago, and loved the course. The language is comfortably the most difficulty aspect, in my opinion, I got a 2.1, but it was half 1.1 results in business and half 2.2 and passes in German. There was much more work required by the language, but the Erasmus year brings it on massively, especially Chinese and Spanish, because the locals are less likely to have English.

From a professional opportunities point of view, Chinese and Spanish are probably the best languages to study, because they have such a large speaking population and those markets are still developing.

The year abroad is an amazing experience, but you can do one with Commerce also, its just not guaranteed.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to answer them as best I can

Advertisement