Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owl Intuition Immersion Heating Control - Wiring Question

Options
  • 25-04-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    Has anyone used the Owl Intuition Immersion Control?
    theowl.com/heating/intuition-h/

I'm looking for advice on wiring it in, I'm worried if it will be able deal with the current an immersion draws. Specifically this line in the install manual which seems far too low?

Ensure that the Live feed to the Tank Sensor is correctly fused (3A or 5A
    maximum) - This protection is normally provided by way of a fused spur
    powering the heating system.

docs.owlintuition.com/FlipBooks/IntuitionTankSensor/files/downloads/Tank%20Sensor%20%5BTBxE3H%5D%20Installation%20Instructions%20Issue%203.pdf

Wiring diagrams here:
    docs.owlintuition.com/FlipBooks/HeatingControlWiringDiagrams/files/downloads/Heating%20Wiring%20Set.pdf

PS: Sorry for not linking the links correctly, I can't as I'm a new user apparently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That's to replace your time clock for your hot water from your boiler which draws very little current.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sona_sasta

Thanks Fred! Is there anyway to make it work with an immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Does your boiler heat your water?

It does but I'd prefer not to down that route I think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

sona_sasta wrote: »
    It does but I'd prefer not to down that route I think.

Why??
    Using an immersion element to heat water will be far more expensive than using a boiler.

• Advertisement

My boiler is pretty old and I'd assumed it was more efficient to use the immersion. Also I can't heat the water independently I'd have to heat the radiators as well. Although I guess I could turn them off during the summer.
    Is there a site where I could compare costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Sorry to bring back an old thread but...

I'm looking into the OWL heating controls (already have the electricity monitor) and I'm wondering if i can install them myself... seems pretty straightforward electrically but I'm just not sure about the hot water aspect... I've boiler-heated water (and immersion) and all controls are in the kitchen near the boiler - do I need to fit a relay unit beside the hot water tank or can I just replace the existing controls more easily?

Advertisement