Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions/thoughts on this property

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As if house hunting was not bad enough for everyone now, but you two need a wheelchair accessible house too.

Best of luck in your search.

My friend bought a little bungalow in Palmerstown, Oak Court. Loves it. She didn't need wheelchair access or anything, but it is future proofed for her old age, as she said herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

As if house hunting was not bad enough for everyone now, but you two need a wheelchair accessible house too.

Best of luck in your search.

My friend bought a little bungalow in Palmerstown, Oak Court. Loves it. She didn't need wheelchair access or anything, but it is future proofed for her old age, as she said herself!

Thanks. I'm from that area, but am looking for elsewhere.

Overpriced for the area. Walk in condition properties usually attract a ridiculous premium. The trick is to get structurally sound while internally tatty IMHO.

To be honest in my looking (not in Dublin mind) the difference in price between a recently renovated property and one in need of renovation is not as big as it should be in a lot of cases (i.e. not cheap enough to reflect the level of work).

Guys

This question is probably being asked in the wrong forum, but can anyone tell me, is it harder to get a loan as a person with a disability? OH thinks they will pull us up medically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To be honest in my looking (not in Dublin mind) the difference in price between a recently renovated property and one in need of renovation is not as big as it should be in a lot of cases (i.e. not cheap enough to reflect the level of work).

That gaffe is vastly over priced IMHO. I'm not great on prices outside of the M50 but a place on Ruben st. in D8 went mental due to it's (reasonable) condition.

• Advertisement

That gaffe is vastly over priced IMHO. I'm not great on prices outside of the M50 but a place on Ruben st. in D8 went mental due to it's (reasonable) condition.

Yes but that property may not be suitable for us as wheelchair users.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Guys

This question is probably being asked in the wrong forum, but can anyone tell me, is it harder to get a loan as a person with a disability? OH thinks they will pull us up medically?

In my experience the difficulty is with getting life assurance which forms an essential part of the mortgage offer. The bank will have their own company that they use (you dont have to go with their company but you do need a policy that includes the mortgage) you will get a policy but it will be loaded against you so vastly more expensive and so higher repayments.

The bank may take this into consideration and so offer you a lower loan amount to ensure the repayments are still affordable.

Hope this helps overall it depends on the on your indvidual circumstance thats just an idea of what to be prepared for. Best bet is just to make a few appointments with different banks and see what they say.

Rachiee wrote: »
    In my experience the difficulty is with getting life assurance which forms an essential part of the mortgage offer. The bank will have their own company that they use (you dont have to go with their company but you do need a policy that includes the mortgage) you will get a policy but it will be loaded against you so vastly more expensive and so higher repayments.

The bank may take this into consideration and so offer you a lower loan amount to ensure the repayments are still affordable.

Hope this helps overall it depends on the on your indvidual circumstance thats just an idea of what to be prepared for. Best bet is just to make a few appointments with different banks and see what they say.

The reason I'm asking is because my OH was refused mortgage protection on grounds of disability when she purchased her apartment

Offer is up at 225k now

We went to see it earlier. It's absolutely beautiful. In pristine condition. It's a private sale too.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The one at the back of Swords? I'm originally from across the road. Is the whole house open plan?
    I've been looking to downsize in the future and would love something like that- at 135k it's good value if structurally sound, i've been looking t 1 & 2 bed bungalows / cottages also. Good luck, I hope you get it.

zef wrote: »
    The one at the back of Swords? I'm originally from across the road. Is the whole house open plan?
    I've been looking to downsize in the future and would love something like that- at 135k it's good value if structurally sound, i've been looking t 1 & 2 bed bungalows / cottages also. Good luck, I hope you get it.

No. This is a different one in Clondalkin. Not going near that one in swords. Too far out

Current offer is 225,000. Rang the EA this morning.

Friends are saying its bs - as in how can a house suddenly go from just over 199k - opening price - to now being 225k....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Friends are saying its bs - as in how can a house suddenly go from just over 199k - opening price - to now being 225k....?

We pulled out of bidding on a house in the boom time, asking price 580K, was 800K in a week so totally possible!

Not going to get involved in it. Not ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

As I said above walk in condition properties are attracting a premium. Looking for 10% of 200K v. 220K is only 2K. Buying a house for 175K and then sinking 25K into it to do it up isn't within the reach of some - although I believe a mortgage can be had taking renovations into account.

It's also very possible to generate interest by underpricing the property especially (no disrespect intended) in Clondalkin where one might be put off by the address. I had a similar thing happen to me in Kilbarrack, I went in 10K over asking in an attempt to put off the two other interested parties as the house was exactly what we wanted.

If you look around the area there are a number of similar properties, that's the best one - I bet you most people are seeing all of them and potentially putting in offers on more than one.

As I said above walk in condition properties are attracting a premium. Looking for 10% of 200K v. 220K is only 2K. Buying a house for 175K and then sinking 25K into it to do it up isn't within the reach of some - although I believe a mortgage can be had taking renovations into account.

It's also very possible to generate interest by underpricing the property especially (no disrespect intended) in Clondalkin where one might be put off by the address. I had a similar thing happen to me in Kilbarrack, I went in 10K over asking in an attempt to put off the two other interested parties as the house was exactly what we wanted.
    If you look around the area there are a number of similar properties, that's the best one - I bet you most people are seeing all of them and potentially putting in offers on more than one.

I'm put off the whole mortgage application process because of what my OH went through applying for hers and not getting the protection.

I'd prefer to do a cash sale. Also, we'd have to apply for grants to get any adaptations made to a property to make it fully accessible.

House we were looking at in Clondalkin now sold

Advertisement