Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account closed due to inactivity

Options
  • 25-04-2016 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, 

Recently I found the BOI had closed my account. There was no overdraft or loans etc and was mainly used for general purpose. I had no correspondence from them informing me. I found out when I went to make a deposit last week. I've had the account for 20 years. I haven't used the account for maybe a year as I  mainly use paypal nowadays. 

Will I need to open a new account or will you be able to reopen the old account. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi, 

Recently I found the BOI had closed my account. There was no overdraft or loans etc and was mainly used for general purpose. I had no correspondence from them informing me. I found out when I went to make a deposit last week. I've had the account for 20 years. I haven't used the account for maybe a year as I  mainly use paypal nowadays. 

Will I need to open a new account or will you be able to reopen the old account. 
    Hi Hank Scorpio, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

Generally an account would not be closed after one year of no activity. Did you receive confirmation in your branch that your account was closed when you went to make the lodgement? When there is no customer generated transactions on an account for three years the account would become inactive and blocked to debits. You would then need to reactivate the account by providing photo ID such as your passport and proof of address to your account holding branch. 

If you would like us to arrange a call to you from your branch to look into this further please send us a private message here with your name, contact number and account holding branch. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement