Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspector Jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

TheDriver wrote: »

Are you on the move TheDriver?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

God no! Principal is enough thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Not looking for people in my subjects. Oh well. No rest for the wicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

How dark is it? What are positives?
    What is the key criteria for selection iyo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

+ is there a standard contract, whats the payscale (is it related to how long you've served as a teacher)

whats the nature of the work - along with inspecting and report writing are there opportunities for further advancement or movement laterally to related areas etc

I don't think I'd be interested in actually doing the job but (and maybe this is just me) there seems to be very little info out there about it thats presumably why its being described as "dark" :) , i can think of other reasons though

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    + is there a standard contract, whats the payscale (is it related to how long you've served as a teacher)

whats the nature of the work - along with inspecting and report writing are there opportunities for further advancement or movement laterally to related areas etc

I don't think I'd be interested in actually doing the job but (and maybe this is just me) there seems to be very little info out there about it thats presumably why its being described as "dark" :) , i can think of other reasons though

All the details are usually on publicjobs.ie with the ad for jobs like this.

From people i know who did it and left, they found the travel onerous and the work tedious.

Info on the PE one... http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/30077/booklet.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From people i know who did it and left, they found the travel onerous and the work tedious.

From people I know still in the job, these would be their feelings too - especially regarding the travel.

Plus they say monotonous. You become a teacher to teach and be around teenagers supporting and caring. Being inspector is out if all that, like SEC work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

The ivory Tower has a few vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Werty00

How difficult is it to get appointed as an Inspector? How many years of experience teaching is needed? Is it worth one's while going for it with less than 10 years? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Werty00 wrote: »
    How difficult is it to get appointed as an Inspector? How many years of experience teaching is needed? Is it worth one's while going for it with less than 10 years? Thanks

Many of them have experience of more than one type of school/training centre/workshop, experience in curricular things, plus exams/assessment and have a Ph.D. in a relevant area. General all-rounders really.
    If you have good Irish, that is always a plus.

Always worth throwing your hat in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 persont

Does anyone know whether there would be any negative implications for a pre-2004 appointed teacher (with an A post and Master's degree allowance) in taking up a post as inspector; i.e. would the inspector's pension be based on career average or would it be based on average of final 3 years' work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Do inspectors have the same holidays as teachers? If not, how many days off do they have?

No they don't.

The answers to all of the questions being asked here are in the information pack linked earlier.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/30077/booklet.htm

spurious wrote: »
    Many of them have experience of more than one type of school/training centre/workshop, experience in curricular things, plus exams/assessment and have a Ph.D. in a relevant area. General all-rounders really.
    If you have good Irish, that is always a plus.

Always worth throwing your hat in the ring.

I know of a few with little of the above and 2 in particular that were dreadful class teachers.

I want to express caution with your last phrase about throwing hat into the ring....i see principals, deputy p and inspectors that didn't think they'd get the job but applied anyways and then got it. Always assume you will get it and only apply if you want it bucause its a long career ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I know of a few with little of the above and 2 in particular that were dreadful class teachers.

I want to express caution with your last phrase about throwing hat into the ring....i see principals, deputy p and inspectors that didn't think they'd get the job but applied anyways and then got it. Always assume you will get it and only apply if you want it bucause its a long career ahead.

Indeed a master's degree and a small bit of experience can land the job.

One of the inspectors I know is at their busiest during the post-exam period.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Always had a rather caustic view of inspectorate from the time they disappeared en masse for two years in 1999-2000 and emerged with a new job description that gave them lots of power without responsibility. That remains the current model.
    In recent times the quality of successful candidates has disimproved considerably judging by several recent arrivals.
    Not an easy job, traditionally distrusted and frequently disliked by schools and teachers, bound by civil service rules to refuse to give an answer for fear off being quoted to superiors etc, lots of work during Summer holidays....

Oh yes, I meant if the person wanted it, it's worth having a try.
    No more than inspectorships, I've seen many Principalships go to extraordinary people because so few people applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 persont

I've applied for one of the post-primary positions. Anyone else thrown their hat into the race? (Feel free to PM me for a less public chat) Wonder when the interviews are expected to take place?

• Advertisement

If any of you do become inspectors can I suggest not walking into staff rooms with your €800 Louis Vuitton bags like we had recently. It just pisses people off.

how do you know if its real??

how do you know if its real??

Has one himself I'm sure. Only way you'd know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

doc_17 wrote: »
    If any of you do become inspectors can I suggest not walking into staff rooms with your €800 Louis Vuitton bags like we had recently. It just pisses people off.

How did this piss them off? I bring mine every day and it pisses nobody off. It's just a bag.

Ah listen, maybe it's just us then. But we've always felt the attitude they have is one of "I'm better than you and I'll yell you all how to teach". And now they have the handbag to back it up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Ah listen, maybe it's just us then. But we've always felt the attitude they have is one of "I'm better than you and I'll yell you all how to teach". And now they have the handbag to back it up!!!!

haha doc you are gas!! don't mind yer one with the bag, now if it was Hermes, i would say something (10k for the bag!!)- just keep up the good work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I hope it's not a male inspector :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Definately near summer holidays, things have lightened up around here��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

solerina wrote: »
    Definately near summer holidays, things have lightened up around here��

5 days ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement