Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at University Hospital?

Options
  • 26-04-2016 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Hi, folks. I'm a new driver (well, a new driver in Ireland; I've been driving in the US for 30 years). I must attend an outpatient appointment at the Endocrinology department next week and I have never driven in Galway on my own. I can't walk far for the moment, but I don't qualify for disabled parking.

Can anyone tell me where I should park and how to actually get to the parking facility?

Someone recommended that if I want to do a little shopping I should park in Eyre Square and take a taxi to the hospital. About what would that cost?

(Thanks!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's almost impossible to get parking at the hospital itself, or at the cathedral that is 10 mins walk away.

Yeah, either have someone drop you/collect you or go with the taxi option.

Parking at Eyre Square SC http://www.q-park.ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/galway/q-park-eyre-square Park on the roof, it's cheaper
    Then add maybe a fiver for taxi each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

My recommendation would be to park in the Dyke road car, which is a 15 minute walk away and it's 4 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My recommendation would be to park in the Dyke road car, which is a 15 minute walk away and it's 4 for the day.

Yeah, too far of a walk for me unfortunately but I'll def keep that in mind for when I'm better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could still park there and use Hailo to have a taxi pick you up at Dyke Rd.
    https://www.hailoapp.com/locations/ireland/

Cool, thanks, that makes it a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Parking at hospital is is quite easy before 8.30am and after 2pm

boardzz wrote: »
    Parking at hospital is is quite easy before 8.30am and after 2pm

Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Speedwell wrote: »
    Good to know :)

The Endo dept doesn't have much parking within a short distance walk if you are seriously compromised in that regard. Somedays you'll be lucky and get a space right outside and other days you'll be driving around for ages looking for one. I think you're best to follow Biko's advice and park nearby and then get a Taxi just to be sure you make your appointment on time. Lots of people do that. Good luck! :)

Thanks, folks, I was dreading having to drive around and around (on N plates yet), and it is nice to know that for a few euros essentially I can avoid the hassle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This might help if you are travelling from the East Side of the City?

Timetable
    http://citydirect.ie/timetables/hospital-shuttle/

Article on the service
    http://citydirect.ie/about-us/galway-university-hospitals-shuttle/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

As one who is there on a daily basis if you get to the hospital before 10am you will not have a problem, however after that its difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There is an estate very near the back of the hospital gate called Ardalaun Park (I think that's the name) you could park there. Under five minutes you can walk then to the hospital.
    The only difficulty with that is that you have to manoeuvre through a busy roundabout with (incredibly) little or no facility for pedestrians to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bobbyss wrote: »
    There is an estate very near the back of the hospital gate called Ardalaun Park (I think that's the name) you could park there. Under five minutes you can walk then to the hospital.
    The only difficulty with that is that you have to manoeuvre through a busy roundabout with (incredibly) little or no facility for pedestrians to cross.

im sure the residents of that estate love having cars parked at their front doors all day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I happened to end up calling down there today to drop something off OP. There was only one patient in the clinic but there was no parking anywhere. All parking directly for the clinic was gone and it's a very tight squeeze getting into that parking anyway, not comfortable if you're new to driving. I still say get a taxi. It's a pain but if you park at the cathedral shouldn't cost you more than ten in total each way. Make sure you tell the taxi you want to go to the diabetes clinic as they seem to know it better as that than as the endo clinic, if they don't know it tell them its near Breast Check towards the back and you'll find it no problem.
    Taxi numbers are 091561111 or 091585858 .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

im sure the residents of that estate love having cars parked at their front doors all day

It's a public road, in a busy area. I'm sure they're well used to it, and knew about the issue before they moved to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's a public road, in a busy area. I'm sure they're well used to it, and knew about the issue before they moved to the area.

Those houses were built in the 19790s it certainly an issue for the people who moved in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yep, Well said Mrs. It's a public road. Have lines of cars parked outside my own gaff in pay parking (and even before it was pay parking) and I'm not moaning about it.

Advertisement