Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hillsborough Inquest Verdict

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

This is nonsense, the sun simply reported the information they received at the time and from a source they or anyone else could only assume was genuine.

The hatred that some people on here allegedly have for a foreign newspaper is absurd, people being so offended by the sun that they spell it like S#N is ridiculous and laughable when id go as far as saying nearly next to no one on here has any real, genuine connection to the incident.

Tragedies and injustices happen all over the world everyday and nobody gives a ****, just because you support Liverpool doesn't warrant or deserve this faux, and very much put on, outrage for an incident that people have no emotional connection to.

You need two sources to verify a story. The Sun don't bother, cos no one reads the clarifications and apologies piece. Its a dreadful "newspaper"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Sun should be boycotted by all football fans they are a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is nonsense, the sun simply reported the information they received at the time and from a source they or anyone else could only assume was genuine.

The hatred that some people on here allegedly have for a foreign newspaper is absurd, people being so offended by the sun that they spell it like S#N is ridiculous and laughable when id go as far as saying nearly next to no one on here has any real, genuine connection to the incident.

Tragedies and injustices happen all over the world everyday and nobody gives a ****, just because you support Liverpool doesn't warrant or deserve this faux, and very much put on, outrage for an incident that people have no emotional connection to.

Clueless stuff from yourself as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Who the hell are you to judge what other people's emotional connections are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

monkey9 wrote: »
    Clueless stuff from yourself as per usual.

It's rather crassly put but to be fair, you will see a lot of mawkish, faux-grief around Munich and Hillsborough topics.
    I find it all a bit odd myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Who are you to judge what people's emotional connections are?

Anyone who doesn't connect with the events of April 1989 on a basic human level would want to take a hard look at themselves.

It's rather crassly put but to be fair, you will see a lot of mawkish, faux-grief around Munich and Hillsborough topics.

People can certainly make tragedies about themselves at times, no doubt. But him going on about tragedies happening across the world and nobody caring about them is nonsense.

Paris bombings, ISIS beheadings, Guilford Four, Birmingham Six, the Famine, Nazi's etc etc. None of them affected me directly, but i can get emotional when reading up on it all without having to apologise for it.

It's just more scutter from himself and it doesn't surprise me, i just wonder what took him so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

AFAIK not all the papers did, the Sun made a decision to run with it at a grotesque level, despite internal objections.

I think it is important to address handed down incorrect information like this, not because it'll make any difference to opinions like yours, but others who don't know the truth.

I don't get as upset or involved in it as much as I used to, mostly because all the propaganda and lies have been slowly outed over the last few years. Everybody knows the truth now, a small few choose to ignore it, for various reasons.

It's important to never forget because something similar could happen again very easily, maybe not in football but in some other walk of life.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

People can certainly make tragedies about themselves at times, no doubt. But him going on about tragedies happening across the world and nobody caring about them is nonsense.

Paris bombings, ISIS beheadings, Guilford Four, Birmingham Six, the Famine, Nazi's etc etc. None of them affected me directly, but i can get emotional when reading up on it all without having to apologise for it.

It's just more scutter from himself and it doesn't surprise me, i just wonder what took him so long.

Don't bother. He's looking for a reaction and he's getting one. He'll be very pleased with himself.

Both tragedies.

One was a tragic accident, the other a tragic event that the police and God knows who else covered up for years.

They are different things.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

K-9 wrote: »
    AFAIK not all the papers did, the Sun made a decision to run with it at a grotesque level, despite internal objections.

I think it is important to address handed down incorrect information like this, not because it'll make any difference to opinions like yours, but others who don't know the truth.

I don't get as upset or involved in it as much as I used to, mostly because all the propaganda and lies have been slowly outed over the last few years. Everybody knows the truth now, a small few choose to ignore it, for various reasons.

It's important to never forget because something similar could happen again very easily, maybe not in football but in some other walk of life.

They were given information by well respected authorities and took it and ran with it, it wasnt all that hard to believe that it could of been true as Liverpool were at fault for the heysel tragedy only four years earlier that gets next to no publicity and is conveniently swept under the carpet by a lot of main stream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

They were given information by well respected authorities and took it and ran with it, it wasnt all that hard to believe that it could of been true as Liverpool were at fault for the heysel tragedy only four years earlier that gets next to no publicity and is conveniently swept under the carpet by a lot of main stream media.

Here we go.....

Yeah, that 27 year Heysel cover up. :rolleyes: Go to bed, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Both tragedies.

One was a tragic accident, the other a tragic event that the police and God knows who else covered up for years.

They are different things.

I never implied they were the same :confused:
    They bring out a lot of the same reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

FFS!

Don't give him oxygen. He wasn't born when it happened. It was frightening to watch on tv I was only 9.

Heysel was never covered up.

Yeah, the police were well respected, now we see the consequences of that. Well respected by some, journalists have too cosy relationships with the press as the Levison inquiry exposed.

When the press pay police officers for information...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I get the sense that you are disappointed in some way by this news? Your position on Hillsborough as expressed on this forum over the years leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh.

Yeah, that 27 year Heysel cover up. :rolleyes: Go to bed, man.

May not have had a cover up but look at the result of it, 6 clubs banned from European football, 39 dead and 14 liverpool fans convicted and sentenced.

If some Liverpool fans are capable of that with the hooligan epidemic at the time its not insane or wrong to think they could of caused the Hillsbourough tragedy at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can we have a vote to ban button mods ? :pac:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades?CMP=share_btn_fb#_=_

Excellent reporting from David Conn- well worth a read by everybody

(Apologies if this was posted earlier)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I get the sense that you are disappointed in some way by this news? Your position on Hillsborough as expressed on this forum over the years leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh.

Nonsense.

May not have had a cover up but look at the result of it, 6 clubs banned from European football, 39 dead and 14 liverpool fans convicted and sentenced.

If some Liverpool fans are capable of that its not insane or wrong to think they could of caused the Hillsbourough tragedy at the time.

Nope, I and others have said so, you are arguing with yourself willy.

What is clear, 27 years later is the fans were innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There always has to be one.

If some Liverpool fans are capable of that its not insane or wrong to think they could of caused the Hillsbourough tragedy at the time.

Sounds like UK Justice thinking:

These terrorists are Irish, ergo All Irish people must be terrorists...

White mob kills innocent black man- he must have provoked them

Some Liverpool fans caused havoc abroad- ergo Liverpool fans are drunken yobs that steal from the dead

that skewed correlation doesn't serve justice at all.

• Advertisement

There always has to be one.

Used to be a few, progress indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Absolutely no surprise it's you that's trying to get a rise willmunny. Absolutely disgraceful that whoever you are behind your keyboard, you'll do anything to get a rise from people (who you don't know).

Anyways, to the real topic at hand. It's fantastic news that the families have finally got the news that they have sought after for so long. I wasn't even born when this tragedy occurred and it feels like it has always been around and talked about. Whilst the fans and what happened should never be forgotten, I do hope this can give some of the families the closure they need. It must have been so difficult for them to try accept the first cause of death put out there by the tribunal. I really hope it gives them solace.

No football fan should ever go to a football match and not come home. It could have been any team and any event at that time, which health and safety non existent. Delighted for the families and for the supporters and city of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Delighted for todays news, it mas been to long await.

JFT96. YNWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If some Liverpool fans are capable of that with the hooligan epidemic at the time its not insane or wrong to think they could of caused the Hillsbourough tragedy at the time.
    Ah, Sir Bernard. So nice of you to join us.

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades?CMP=share_btn_fb#_=_

Excellent reporting from David Conn- well worth a read by everybody

(Apologies if this was posted earlier)

Heart wrenching stuff, Jaysus, the poor child's arm, at the bottom of the crush, reaching out to the police officer trying to save them.

Contrast that with the cold, planned, schematic plan to blame the fans at every chance.

You'd wonder how 2 people couldn't see Duckenfield was at fault and negligent.

If anyone gets a warning before willmunny then it's a good laugh altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted to hear that the right verdicts came down. Delighted for all the people who have suffered for a long time over this.

Heart wrenching stuff, Jaysus, the poor child's arm, at the bottom of the crush, reaching out to the police officer trying to save them.

Contrast that with the cold, planned, schematic plan to blame the fans at every chance.

You'd wonder how 2 people couldn't see Duckenfield was at fault and negligent.

Did you watch the video also? It defies belief how they could lie and cover up without a once of guilt shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cg_6OOrXEAAcN2g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

May the dead rest in peace now and may their families and friends have the truth that they deserved.

United we stand as football fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Being where I am from we the people of this city know the full force of the British establishment power of covering up things they have done wrong, to say that I can't have a connection is simply untrue.

The rag yes is a foreign paper but it is wildly available here in 2 versions one being Irish but with mostly the same content, but that paper has always had anti irishness to it so people here can be offended by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All the UK papers bar 2 (The Sun and The Times) have the verdict as front page news.Apparently Rita Ora and some Tycoon's knighthood are more important.:rolleyes:

Cg_8TtdXEAE6ty5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hooliganism is/was a human nature behavioural problem not just a problem associated with one club.

In relation to Heysel, which was awful, and gets plenty of publicity, despite what you say, it was the poor stadium state and the wall collapsing that actually killed people. (I'm not denying that violence was the prime cause).

The Sun ran with a story of people stealing from corpses, and urinatng from bodies and labbelled it "The Truth" without any verifciation.

Truly shameful journalism that is at the same level of your posting that seems driven by a deep seated anti - Liverpool sentiment that ignores facts and uses the deaths of innocents and cover up by authorities to further your own agenda. Shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Y.N.W.A !

• Advertisement

Knew there would be a few disappointed with this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

What would be the best book to read on this topic?

What would be the best book to read on this topic?

'Hillsborough - The Truth' by Prof Phil Scraton is pretty comprehensive. That'd be the one to read in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

zerks wrote: »
    All the UK papers bar 2 (The Sun and The Times) have the verdict as front page news.Apparently Rita Ora and some Tycoon's knighthood are more important.:rolleyes:

Cg_8TtdXEAE6ty5.jpg
    Was watching Sky news, from the same stable, yesterday. Their main analysis/spin was that only for Hillsborough was that only for it the great boom in soccer through Satellite TV /EPL/etc, so it was actually a good thing.

Good to know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dont post in this thread again, PM a Soccer Mod if you have an issue with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

God, I remember, like it was yesterday, sitting down in the sitting room in my mothers house watching it unfold.I was 19 years old.
    I also remember watching on the BBC the memorial service at Anfield the following Saturday. i can still see in my minds eye the flowers at Anfield, the scarfs with Everton and Liverpool every second one.
    I remember watching on TV the Liverpool players attending the funerals.
    I remember the cup final- the dream one with Liverpool beating Everton, the Mersey final in the year that the hearts of the city was broken.
    I have watched the memorial services over the years, the Mcgovern program etc.
    I have a Liverpool clock on my wall for the past 20 years with the time stopped thereon at 3.06 for all those 20 years.
    Yes I shed more than one tear yesterday.
    Yes I have over the years become very emotionally involved.
    Fair play to the family's they have fought an unreal fight for 27 years.
    they fought the Law and They won.
    JFT96.
    At peace at last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

murpho999 wrote: »
    In relation to Heysel, which was awful, and gets plenty of publicity, despite what you say, it was the poor stadium state and the wall collapsing that actually killed people. (I'm not denying that violence was the prime cause)..

Just as poor stadium design and fencing around stands actually killed the people at Hillsborough.

At Hillsborough, this would not have happened if the gate was not opened and the tunnel policed correctly. At Heysel, it would not have happened if some "fans" had not attacked the Juventus fans.

One of the effects of Heysel, was that it was very easy to blame fans for anything, football fans were treated like animals and were effectively public enemy number one. For the police to blame drunken fans pushing and shoving was quite believable at the time. Obviously over the years, the truth finally came out.

I remember this day very clearly and having been a regular on terraces at the time, could not help but think "there but for the grace of God". Many grounds were a death trap and looking back, it's a a tragedy on this scale hadn't happened earlier.

Heysel and Hillsborough are very different issues.

Hillsborough is comparable with the disasters at Burnden and Ibrox. What made Hillsborough worse, apart simply from the numbers, was the way in which the police were complicit, the lies and cover ups that must have compounded the incredible grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Knew there would be a few disappointed with this news.

Who is a few ? I see one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Who is a few ? I see one :confused:

I was just about to post this.

One poster, and anyone else with those views should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember being a kid watching the news unfold

My da a Newcastle fan me a United fan my bro an arsenal fan and we were all shocked seeing the mayhem unfold that day.

I have no love for the pool as a United fan but I feel your clubs pain.

Advertisement